Big ass speakers, small ass rooms

Are we still on topic?

In case we are, I've had large speakers in small rooms and it just didn't work out. I never even had the chance to get accustomed to how it sounded the rooms were just too small for the speakers and there was just no doing anything in those rooms with such large speakers in them.

On the other hand, people have argued this and they can argue all they want. I know what I have heard and I have heard quite a few small pairs of speakers teamed up with a subwoofer or 2 fill large rooms just as well as large speakers. So, it's really a matter of what sounds good to you and what you can live with.

Are we still on topic?

In case we are, I've had large speakers in small rooms and it just didn't work out. I never even had the chance to get accustomed to how it sounded the rooms were just too small for the speakers and there was just no doing anything in those rooms with such large speakers in them.

On the other hand, people have argued this and they can argue all they want. I know what I have heard and I have heard quite a few small pairs of speakers teamed up with a subwoofer or 2 fill large rooms just as well as large speakers. So, it's really a matter of what sounds good to you and what you can live with.

Well, the topic isn't really about whether it's good or not: it's just about big speakers in small rooms.
I happen to think that in my room and my setup, bigass Cornwalls sound better than any of the quite good small speakers I've used. That's certainly just my experience and opinion, but again, the thread's about "doin' it", not whether you *should*. :thmbsp::D

Well, the topic isn't really about whether it's good or not: it's just about big speakers in small rooms.
I happen to think that in my room and my setup, bigass Cornwalls sound better than any of the quite good small speakers I've used. That's certainly just my experience and opinion, but again, the thread's about "doin' it", not whether you *should*. :thmbsp::D

Fair enough. My first paragraph is mostly about trying to operate in a small space. In the house I shared with my soon x, the music room was tiny and big speakers just didn't work in there. My living room in my own place is larger than the music room was, but not large enough that I want anything really huge in here. I would be willing to give the Yamahas a try if I still had them. They were 3 1/2 feet tall and had 12 woofers, but didn't consume excessive amounts of room.

I consider my RSL Elans too big for the room they are in. They have rear firing tweeters and passives. They should be off the wall by a couple feet, but in a 12' by 12' room, there is no room for that. That and a 120 WPC pushing them.

It, unfortunately, causes a sweet spot.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Rob

The direct reflecting concept works remarkably well in such a small room and the sub woofer really augments the bottom-end...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You, sir, are my hero.

I've never seen a 604 mounted inside an A7 cab before...interesting.

I was actually surprised how well they work. But you think about it, the 828 can is set up for a 15" woofer, and the horn should work fine inside the walls of the bass horn. The original owner did cut a hole in the back panel...

Basement den, 10 x 12 feet.

Pretty easy to pressurize the room with bass with 4 12 inch woofers, can be a bit boomy until I pull the speakers into the room another 8 inches or so.

Great-looking '90's. Once I put the oil caps in mine, I had no issues with room-size (Just room-SUCK... I'll be moving shortly, just as soon as I find the right place, and hi-fi space and acoustics are a high priority). Have you tried yours with tubes yet? After getting the Fisher and redoing the caps, that's when the W90's really broke out. I'm on the hunt for a place where I can really flex those things.

The old Wharfedale stuff is not very-finicky about room-size, which is a big help. I'm breaking in a pair of the new 80th anniversary Dentons right now, but I'm gonna' string up a second pair of speaker runs so I can hook both up at the same time.

Anyway, I don't have any pics, but here's a couple of old demo videos I recorded after putting the oil caps in 'em. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HyA33pbwHkI

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KZ8oPxForkg

And here's a REALLY-small room with my W60's and the same Fisher: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qxPljs82Xgw

Last edited:
I occupy our living lounge as my listening room.

Of course my wife isn't happy about it, and we (or I) had agreed to take only half of the room for my audio this Sunday.

Then last night, listening to the setup through the recently serviced & improved 300Bs of mine, she figured that the sound wouldn't be this good if the we didn't utilise the room in the existing way. She then said 'Ok let's keep it this way for a while longer. The sound is just absolutely gorgeous.'

It still is a smallish unit lounge room though!

KakaoTalk_20140817_131202561_zps9c168000.jpg

KakaoTalk_20140817_131158224_zps6bac719c.jpg

FxCam_1408225141097_zpsd987849d.jpg

Audio Nirvana drivers?

Dave

What kind of man says that kind of silly thing!. Really?Did I say that? I know you can loose a cat like that.

No, I get it... Although I never knocked over a W90 with my big ass... A drink or two, and maybe a bowl of cereal, but that's it... My W90's dwarf my ass by at least 3 to 1.

Only one problem with the system in the bathroom: I can't find the CD "Music to Poop to" anywhere. :D

I think it's actually a British recording... I believe the title is "Music To Shite To" (The Wal Mart version is simply titled "Music That Moves You").

Great-looking '90's. Once I put the oil caps in mine, I had no issues with room-size (Just room-SUCK... I'll be moving shortly, just as soon as I find the right place, and hi-fi space and acoustics are a high priority). Have you tried yours with tubes yet? After getting the Fisher and redoing the caps, that's when the W90's really broke out. I'm on the hunt for a place where I can really flex those things.

The old Wharfedale stuff is not very-finicky about room-size, which is a big help. I'm breaking in a pair of the new 80th anniversary Dentons right now, but I'm gonna' string up a second pair of speaker runs so I can hook both up at the same time.

Anyway, I don't have any pics, but here's a couple of old demo videos I recorded after putting the oil caps in 'em. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HyA33pbwHkI

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KZ8oPxForkg

And here's a REALLY-small room with my W60's and the same Fisher: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qxPljs82Xgw

I noticed I accidentally posted the second link twice on this, so I went back and fixed it. The third link is now what it should be.

Last edited:
Do Cornwall's and forte's driven by a Pioneer SX-1280 in an 8x12 count?
I will mention that in the same room smaller speakers with dome tweeters (if you consider jbl100's or Pioneer hpm 100's or even stacked advents) were no where's near as smooth.
-Lee

Do Cornwall's and forte's driven by a Pioneer SX-1280 in an 8x12 count?
I will mention that in the same room smaller speakers with dome tweeters (if you consider jbl100's or Pioneer hpm 100's or even stacked advents) were no where's near as smooth.
-Lee

You do indeed qualify. Do you drive the Cornwalls and Fortes at the same time?

At conversation levels yes. The Cornwall's solo when restraint over volume control position fails.

Back
Top Bottom