Big Sansui G-8000, G-9000, G-8700DB, 9090DB comparison

ymarko

I’m looking for a big Sansui and I read about G-8000, G-9000, G-8700DB, and 9090DB.

Personally, I like the look of large “G”s vs. 9090DB (love these 2 huge knobs). Also “G”’s are larger and more powerful (160wpc vs. 125wpc) then 9090DB. It also seems they are rarer then more common 9090DB.

On the other hand, I like that 9090DB has real wood case. Also 9090DB has very good reviews and I read many times that it’s one of the best receivers.

I am curious do what you think about them in comparison of build quality, sound, and collectability?
What would be your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice?

imho...the g-9000, hands down.. its a rock solid, well built brute of a receiver. and is very musical as well.

I have had a G-8000 for over 20 years. And can only say that I was never dissapointed with it. I never had a larger one. I used to power Three setd of 8 Ohm speakers through it. (Not full throttle) But I never was able to open her up becausemy ears gave way first! I also have a G-3500 in the workroom wich is very nice, sort of like a "Mini-me" :D

The G-9700 is junk so you can eliminate that one right off the bat. The others are all better built. IMO, the G-9000 looks and sounds the best.

Here's my three:

1. G-9000 [ have the case veneered with real walnut if it bugs you ]
2. G-9090DB
3. G-8000

No, but I had a Mini-G once. :D

Those would be my pecking order for the OP, mind you. I don't have a 9090DB [ yet ] but I do have examples of the others.

The G-9700 is junk so you can eliminate that one right off the bat. The others are all better built. IMO, the G-9000 looks and sounds the best.

I didn't mention G-9700 in my inquary. Only 4 that mentioned in the title. Thank you.

I didn't mention G-9700 in my inquary. Only 4 that mentioned in the title. Thank you.

Prolly just a typo on his part. The X700 series has the least robust build quality as the other two lines. Does that make it an inferior series receiver? Not really, IMHO. If you have an opportunity to audition each one, I strongly recommend letting your ears decide. What type of speakers are you planning to use with your 'Sui?

Let us know where you're at. Perhaps there's an AK member local to you who has one of your prospective receivers that you can hear first before committing to a particular model?

I have a friend that collects monster receivers and has the G-9000 and G-22000. Both are quite impressive. I grew up with the 8080DB and since got a 9090DB so I'm partial to those models.

I have a friend that collects monster receivers and has the G-9000 and G-22000. Both are quite impressive. I grew up with the 8080DB and since got a 9090DB so I'm partial to those models.

No argument that all the options presented are great ones, for sure. The OP really can't go wrong with any of them.

I am surprised you have not included the G-7700. Mine is a powerhouse at 120 wpc and sounds great. I am using efficient speakers and have power to spare. I can't imagine these others must be godzilla...

I have not had a G-9000 yet, but do have a 9090DB and a G-871DB(same as the G-8700DB but black faced).

While the G-X700 seires is far from junk, it is not built as well as the 9090DB.

The sound of the 871DB is a bit less colored than the 9090DB. They both sound great, just a bit different.

I would like to put my 160 WPC G-871DB up against a G-9000 someday.
For sound comparison only.
And maybe size.:yes:

Rob

I’m looking for a big Sansui and I read about G-8000, G-9000, G-8700DB, and 9090DB.

Personally, I like the look of large “G”s vs. 9090DB (love these 2 huge knobs). Also “G”’s are larger and more powerful (160wpc vs. 125wpc) then 9090DB. It also seems they are rarer then more common 9090DB.

On the other hand, I like that 9090DB has real wood case. Also 9090DB has very good reviews and I read many times that it’s one of the best receivers.

I am curious do what you think about them in comparison of build quality, sound, and collectability?
What would be your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice?

I am onboard with with you on the looks of the G series Sansui and in fact not having a wood cabinet wouln't bother me at all. I am quite sure that the higher wattage ratings will always get more attention and perhaps pricing in the years to come, (just the bigger is better syndrome I guess). My experience as a newbie was that I would have paid a little more for 160wpc but really new that would be overkill. The 9090 I have now has more balls than I could have ever imagined. At 8:30 on the volume knob it is plenty loud 9:00 is much louder like when I am showing my freinds they are like holy sh*t! You really wouldn't want to be more than 10:00 for extended listening sessions at 11:00 the neibhors are sending the police over and at 12:00 the neibhors two and three houses down the street are sending the police over. I suspect this system would even work for a small audtorium.

I know a lot of people have the 9090db but my understanding from reading here was that the db circuitry was useless and troublesome. I think again people are probably going for the db just because of the slightly higher wpc rating....:dunno:

I'm a fan of the big G-x700 series. They are technically excellent. Huge amounts of power, and among the fastest and cleanest sounding receiver ever built. While they don't have the build quality of the previous series they are still miles ahead of most that came later.

- Pete

All of these models are great receivers.The secret is have them gone threw and brought up to specs.It is worth the money to have a comlete rebuild done and any of these will sound great.You can't beat the sansui sound on a good set.:music::music:

While having had, for very extended periods of time all of the X0X0 line of Sui's, they just fit my listening taste on receivers. As for the G series of receivers I have only owned and listened to the 8000 model. I will say that the G series of receivers have the looks hands down. But for me the sound of the X0X0 series beats out the G series.

AND as we all know, this damn audio addiction is soooooooooooooo subjective. What sounds great to one person is crap to another. :smoke:

I just picked up a really nice G 8700DB. The previous owner paid a large sum to have the unit "restored" by a company in NJ, back in 2009

I also have a G 7000 that I really like... At first blush I would have said the G7000 is nicer to look at, but I really like the led meters and the digital tuner display on the G 8700... So to me, it's a toss up.
The G 8700DB sounds much nicer than the 7000, but that could be due to the restoration work that was performed... plus it's almost twice as powerful.

The only difference I see in exterior build quality is the use of a plastic clear face panel on the G 8700DB versus the glass on the G7000. Also the tuning knob on my G7000 glides effortlessly from one end to the other with a good spin...very cool feel. The G8700DB is a turn by turn process.

Back
Top Bottom