Big smallmouth picture-

radiolee

This is my son Walter doing his Arlo Guthrie impression and the biggest smallie from last weekend's trip. He lost a bigger one when he couldn't turn it and it wrapped him around a log. I had to jump in to get his Rapala back(!)

This one went 20 1/2 inches, 4-5 lbs.

Lee

Sweet

Man, I gotta get my fly rod out and slay me some too. Where were you fishing? MikE

MikE-

This was on our river in the UP of Michigan.

We're both avid fly fisherman, but have been known to revert to spinning tackle for bigger waters.

Hmmm.... I see a potential debate arising- Smallmouth bass/vacuum tubes vs. Largemouth bass/solid state.

This fish was definitely a big ol' 6L6...

Lee

What a beautie!

Hmmm.... I see a potential debate arising- Smallmouth bass/vacuum tubes vs. Largemouth bass/solid state.

Heck, that an easy one...smallmouth tubes are strong, tight and lively...great definition and gorgeous color...largemouth tubes are a bit more showey...being a bit duller with a flabby bloated bottom...they also have a larger presentation.

;)

Ohhhhhh that gets me pumped! I am heading back up to Grand Lake Stream this weekend. The fishing was horrible last time I went cuz we were there during the post spawn :( But I am really excited to get back up there!

Smallmouths are pound for pound the hardest fighting fish, if they grew as big as a largemouth you'd never be able to land them. Sometimes a big largemouth feels like a you're reeling in a 5 gallon bucket :(

I used to fly fish, I tied and sold flies for a long time as a kid, but I am too impatient now and like the faster action and being able to cover more water quickly with spinning gear. If I ever get a nice boat that I could fish standing up in, I would do some fly fishing again, but most of my fishing is from a canoe or kayak and I prefer standing when flycasting, and fishing standing on shore blows.

Hopefully we'll get into some big ones this weekend and post some pics ;)

ANd I hear ya about jumping in to get the Rapala, those things are precious! Just about the only lure I use J-11 Jointed , gold with a black back ;)

Shad-raps rule!

Of course it all depends on the water you're fishing, but IF I were stranded in the UP with just one lure, it would be a shallow running Shad-rap in silver or green finish. Gold for dark days.

Fly fishing from a kayak or canoe can work, if you score a 9-10 ft rod.

Walter and I are heading back up one more time before fall. We've got a score to settle with a certain log-wrapping, Rapala-eating Mo Fo.......

Lee

Last edited:
Well our trip to Grand Lake Stream has fell to pieces but we will be heading to another camp on different lake, not as good fishing but we might luck out. I'll keep you informed ;)

Now Thor, no excuses until AFTER the trip(!)

We're going to wait til after the heat wave passes.

Meanwhile, scored a bunch of good ol' hi-fi yesterday, and the best part of it all is, the ex ain't around to complain that I'm wasting time.......

Good luck, think positive, and remember, the fish can sense a bad attitude right through the line.

Don't forget your fish call......

Lee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom