Big STAX amps, almost there.

Fingers crossed once again. Your dedication to these, marvellous, amps is a tribute to everyone who contributed to their production.

I went in determined to undo all of the unfortunate attempts of the previous owner(s).

Very late to this thread, but what a fascinating read. Ds2000, thanks for sharing your long journey to get these amazing amps fully restored. I admire your perseverance and dogged determination, and look forward to future updates.

Cautiously giving a :banana:here, until the amp is back at your place and singing as it should.

Watch, they will be done soon and it’s summer, so I’ll have to wait to use them til later in the fall. Heating up a room only to cool it down doesn’t make sense.

Watch, they will be done soon and it’s summer, so I’ll have to wait to use them til later in the fall. Heating up a room only to cool it down doesn’t make sense.
They really put out that much heat? Damn.

My main System is in a tiled basement. It can get balmy running the KSA with the volume up. But I knew this going in and strange as it may seem, the amp sounds better when its toasty warm. Its Its kinda scary.

My main System is in a tiled basement. It can get balmy running the KSA with the volume up. But I knew this going in and strange as it may seem, the amp sounds better when its toasty warm. Its Its kinda scary.
I believe you. I had a KSA-150 and at the same time lived in an attic apartment. It sure sounded good while I basked in a sauna.

There’s two, they’re monoblocks. 1100 watts into the 4 ohm speakers I have. 600 for 8.

Outta the blue I got a call today about some proper parts being sourced, and the guys wanting my other monoblock to compare and measure against. Maybe soon for real.

Once you get them fixed, be very careful.
The failure on this was all due to poor handling all across the board. The fellow wanted to do some “upgrades” and in doing so, installed some directional components backward and turned it on, among other dipshittery. The amps are normally very robust. I know of another pair still running just fine.

Back
Top Bottom