BigVoyevoda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok all, Noah just emailed me. The following is the unedited email chain. I suppose I'm taking a risk by posting this but what has happened to me is so unfair. I will be sending him a shipping label tonight:

Jeremy,

I believe you have mis-represented the situation onaudiokarma.org, it is also apparent you have mis-read our last correspondence. I am concerned as well with your threat of legal action. This makes me feel like I should pursue legal counsel and stop communications until they can be restored in a more appropriate, recorded and

Eitherway then Jeremy I will apease you and send the unit back as is I will not pay for shipping nor any other costs. If you would have acted mature and not left ill-worded voicemails in a threatening matter such as "hunting me down" or considered i could not recieve calls as i explained several times and to email.

At this point send me pre-paid postage from which ever carrier you prefer per your request, thats exatcly how you wanted to proceed and thats how we will. It will ship the next business day after i receive it.

If i receive anymore violent threatening voicemails i will contact the appropriate authorities.

On Jul 22, 2015 5:05 AM, "Jeremy Byk" <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
You have proven your lack of professionalism and incompetence by your obvious repeated misrepresentations about the damage caused by you to the unit delivered to you in working order, delivery of the unit to me, and your childish excuses about your failure to communicate with me.

You will to return the unit to me immediately without delay so that you cannot damage the unit any further.

You are fully liable for any and expenses to repair the unit by a qualified professional. If the unit is beyond repair, you will be liable for all expenses.

You have 24 hours to reply positively to this email.

Jeremy

Sent from my wireless device

On Jul 21, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Byk <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:

Noah,

Have you lost your mind ?

Why would you have to remove the transformer unless you damaged or destroyed it ?

Why are you offering me $1,500 for a unit that I sent you to have restored ? The unit is nearly impossible to replace as the blackface (was) in dead mint condition.

I have close to $3,000 invested in the unit: $2,000 cash for the unit, over $700 given to you to restore the unit and about $150 to ship it to you.

Be a man and pick up the phone and tell me the truth about what you have done or I will be hiring a lawyer in Wisconsin.

(310) 864-5515

Jeremy

On Jul 21, 2015, at 3:27 PM, noah schumacher <schumnoah@gmail.com> wrote:

Jeremy Byk,

I was able to check my voice mails from US Cellular and my missed call log and noted several missed calls and voip from you.

It has been a hectic few weeks with moves and new services being installed, but that is not the delay. Ive encountered issues when installing the new filter capacitors that were restuffed. Was it an error in the re-wiring or filter capacitor sections themselves I am still working out. That being said I am still working away and at pulling the torordial transformer and filter assembly the last week or so.

I sincerely apologize for this poor interaction with me Jeremy, the communication has been poor. I cannot do much about the issues encounter with the filter sections but the lack of communication is my fault. The 2385 is on my top priority list amongst other since being so behind. You were not forgotten about, as far as messaging goes we were out of internet for awhile and have had constant issues with a new US Cellular phones, we had a tablet and public access only for a while.

I also want to take this opportunity to make an offer. This is not high on my list but I also realize Ive surpassed a time frame and still have a little work left to do. But I would like to have be known I would purchase your unit for $1500.00 plus pay any charges youve paid in the work so far.

I still cannot receive phone calls clearly, I am working on setting up a temp. Skype and Google VOIP service for the interim. Otherwise in the mean time please feel free to email.
Thank you for your patience Jeremy, please do not feel like you need to "hunt" me down as you know exactly where I live. I want a successful conclusion to this however possible. ~Noah

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Jeremy Byk <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
Noah,

After your multiple promises to me to return my unit and your failure to do so, your multiple excuses for your failure to contact me and the fact that you told me that the chassis of the unit was damaged when the filter capacitors exploded, I can only assume at this point that there is something wrong and that you are unable or unwilling to be truthful regarding restoration of the unit.

I suggest that you tell me exactly what the problem is so that we can settle the matter immediately.

Jeremy

On Jun 28, 2015, at 5:58 AM, noah schumacher <schumnoah@gmail.com> wrote:

jeremy I will be requesting the prepaid postage by the end of this week or early next is the plan to have the unit back to you. we have moved to a larger location for the shop over the last few weeks and I will forward you my updated contact and address information prior.

On Jun 27, 2015 11:39 AM, "Jeremy Byk" <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
It's coming upon 4 months. I think it's time for you to tell me when you're going to be finishing the unit.

Jeremy

> On May 27, 2015, at 5:47 AM, Jeremy Byk <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Noah,
>
> Please let me know when you think you will be finished with the unit.
>
> Jeremy
>
> Sent from my wireless device
>
>> On May 12, 2015, at 5:08 PM, noah schumacher <schumnoah@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Additional photos II
>> <100_2815.JPG>
>> <100_2817.JPG>
>> <100_2818.JPG>

I'm really sorry you've had trouble with Noah. He's fixed some equipment for me, and I've bought other equipment from him that he has rebuilt, and his work has been excellent and his prices have been very good. I hope everything works out.

There is obvious confusion in his life caused by a major building move. I can come up with a few reasons for stuff like this, but they would only be guesses.

Sometimes stress can make peoples effectiveness shut down to a crawl. He did apologies for poor communication. I can only think that he is trying to do too many things and it only takes one train wreck to bring everything to a halt. Too many promises leads to poor communication. Not answering a phone, or returning calls is not professional. I know i am guilty of it once in a while because i am too busy to get interrupted, thinking i'll call back later, and i forget to.

I write all calls down now and return them in order. Sometimes you just have to put life on hold and finish a job.

I have to ask this, Did you pay ahead of time?????????

I won't fault you for not reading the whole thread (It's ridiculously long)

Yes, I paid him in full. $410 was his proposed amount to fully restore the unit ( I know it's not enough). I enclosed $420 in cash with the unit which he acknowledged receiving ). When I discussed the project several weeks after he received it on March 7th, I felt bad as I had been reading on AK that restoration of a unit this size and complexity would cost considerably more. I felt if I was going to get a good quality job from Noah, I would need to send him more money (not his suggestion). I sent him a check for an additional $300. Noah was very appreciative and said " You will have the best 2385 out there" mind you this was probably 4 months ago.

Yes. I paid him in full plus.

Hopefully My Last Post On This Subject

Here is the latest childishly defensive email from Noah. Regarding my having to "Hunt" him down, perhaps I should have said "chase you like a little girl" and he wouldn't have been so frightened. At any rate, I bid goodbye to this ridiculous thread. Hopefully he will pack the unit for shipping better than he "restored it". Here's Noah's email:

After threatening messages like you've sent me I will not be sending you my new address, I do not feel that would be a good idea considering your voice mails, of which I have saved.
Please refer to the links below ( WI state Statue 947/ harassment and electronics communications/crimes against public peace thereof) outlining a cause for concern I may pursue; seeing as you deemed AK a good idea.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/947.pdf

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/947/013

Pick a carrier, I will be sending the unit from a store location where as my address is not required. You will have to arrange that how ever it is done I called UPS and Fedex providers this afternoon to confirm the process.I have provided below contact numbers for two common providers in my area if you have any questions.
1 (800) 742-5877
United Parcel Service, Customer service
1 (800) 463-3339
FedEx, Customer service

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Byk <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
I will send you a label tonight. You need to send me your address first.

Jeremy

Noah, If your out there, We all care and are concerned for you. The Noah mentioned here isn't the Noah we know.
Please drop us a line if you need to vent:yes:.

Last edited:
It seems unfortunate that this was aired in this manner, and it hardly seems fair for someone's reputation and business to be judged by one situation, hearing only one side. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. Noah rebuilt three units for me at a much more than fair price and he went above and beyond the call of duty with his workmanship and attention to detail. I'm sorry to hear about your travails with your 2385, but I'd bet onNoah to put this right. In my experience, he's a real good dude and I would send him another unit in a heartbeat.

I cannot speak to the situation being addressed in this thread. I have been to Noah's repair & restoration facility, I've seen some of his work, and I know he is respected by others in the audio community as they refer work to him and have for some time.

As to his being in over his head on this repair, that surprises me, as he has been repairing and restoring Marantz receivers and has several in his shop. From what I observed, that seemed to be his specialty. However any of us can have things go wrong.

I'm not defending him, as I don't have sufficient experience with Noah to do that with any certainty. But he certainly came off as a reliable and competent technician in my contact with him. I do hope this can be resolved and that your 2385 is none the worse for the experience.

This whole story belongs here in the Feedback forum - threads merged.

that took long enough Moderators.

Pretty damn disappointed with everyone here at AK, past customers and the like. At this point im not even gonna appease you with, I dont know, the other part of the story, not like thats important right. Not like I've done work on dozens of your guys units over the last few years or anything, have great feedback here and else, abide and contribute to the community. I'll be stepping away from Audiokarma after this permanently. This is not the lynch mob I intended to join. Ive uploaded replies of only my emails, the 2385 will be on the way to Bob today.

I'm incredibly ticked off, but thankful for the time I was here, I did meet a few great folks who realize, hey, this is life, shit happens from time to time, everyone else has been very understanding of the move we had.

Thanks, BigV

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• email I.jpg
    email I.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 382
  • email II.jpg
    email II.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 377
  • email III.png
    email III.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 376
Last Email With Noah

Noah,

As you know, the unit was sent in its original double box but despite using the original box and my "best" efforts, I made a mistake, and the unit arrived to you slightly damaged.

You have an obligation to utilize your best efforts to insure that the unit arrives safely to Bob.

Proclaiming that you will pack the unit " exactly how you wanted it and expressed several times; "as it is."" Is hostile, childish and irresponsible.

You had every opportunity to "defend" yourself yourself in the open forum at AudioKarma and to even contact your friends, but as both you and I know, there is no defense of your actions.

As for my being used to "the world kissing" my "ass", that is what a psychiatrist would call projection.

As for "threatening" voicemails, you know that is categorically untrue. Angry yes, but to say my voicemails were threatening is a lie. Feel free to post an audio file of my voicemails on AudioKarma.

It's time for you to take responsibility. Feel free to post your defense of your actions on AudioKarma; there are quite a few people who are waiting. To hear from you.

Don't bother to threaten me, I've been through a lot in this life and have other more pressing concerns than your imaginary victimhood.

You have a reponsibility.

Jeremy

On Jul 25, 2015, at 3:09 AM, noah schumacher <schumnoah@gmail.com> wrote:

It will be packed how it came, with the materials you sent. I am sending it exactly how you wanted it and expressed several times; "as it is." It will be boxed up this morning and out today.

Jeremy im pretty damn disappointed in you and the audiokarma community in your reactions. It was all one-sided, and then to come back and demand the way you do is pretty audacious. I suspect your used to the world kissing your ass.

I do not want to hear from you again by any means of communication, after I send you the shipping receipt. If you cannot abide by that I will proceed with contacting local authorities to prosecute legal actions in regards to your violent & threatening voicemails you left pursuant to WI Stat. 947 as Ive outlined in my last email. Their is plenty of legal precedent to proceed.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Jeremy Byk <jeremybyk@gmail.com> wrote:
Please be sure to pack the unit carefully as the face of the unit is obviously a big part of the value of the unit.

If you need additional money for packaging to assure its safe shipment, let me know.

Jeremy

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 24, 2015 at 8:29:03 PM PDT
To: "'jeremybyk@gmail.com'" <jeremybyk@gmail.com>
Subject: Jeremy Byk Shipping Label.pdf

This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com

Last edited:
Noah, if you are still out there, I have given you positive feedback for your work, and am still pleased with it. I just wish you would give your side of this unpleasant situation. If you choose not to, that's your choice. I am not jumping on the "Bash Noah" bandwagon, just wanted your perspective. JC

Just saw this. Having had an excellent transaction with Noah, I'll have to come to his defense. Noah is a long-standing member who has a sterling reputation here up to this point. The OP has exactly 12 posts here, every one of them in this thread. He seems to me like a hothead, with little understanding that his vintage receiver is very old, and will have issues, sometimes disastrous ones, just waiting to happen.

Stuff happens to old gear, just read the many, many threads here. Noah is apparently in the middle of some life changes, and was unable to make timely replies. Like that never happens. Looks like he made several attempts to correct things, but Mr. Hothead simply wants to be unreasonable.

My 2¢. Hang in there, Noah!

Noah, please accept my apologies. I thanked the OP for taking the high road in not revealing a name in fairness to the other side of the story. Unfortunately, I didn't heed my own admonishment and made my own assumptions. As none of us have all the facts, none of us can judge accurately.

Trucker,

Thank you for taking the high road, even though you surely have a right to be unhappy. The lesson that this guy should hopefully learn is that these pieces are worth far more to us than just the $ we invest, and he should have 1). stopped when he realized he was in over his head; 2). but really, never tried to begin with. He can screw up his own pieces, but not someone elses.

Last edited:
My experience with noah was amazing. I had a nikko alpha amp I wanted fixed. Didn't really care how much it was going to cost. He had it for much longer than promised, but that wansn't a problem because his communication throughout was amazing. Further, despite spending many, many hours on troubleshooting it, he only charged me $100. Then when I said it was only fair that I paid him properly for his time, and he refused any more money. When I got it back, on side was running hotter than the other. Get this, he came to my house to pick up the amp to check it over again! Can't believe someone could/would have problems with him.

I only tell this story because I can't imagine that someone with his level of communication, customer service, and just a great guy all around could be the cause. Maybe some kind of an extenuating circumstance?

As usual, I'm late to the party and just saw this thread but felt compelled to say something. Typically my posts kill a thread so for those who've had enough of this one, you may be in luck!! :) It sucks that one "ooops" ALWAYS wipes out 50 (or more) "atta boys". I've had a dealing or two with Noah without a hitch. I've not sent him anything to work on but I'm familiar with the fact that he's been working on a fair amount of AKer's stuff with success in the past.

Generally I'm not a side taker and I'm even less of a band wagon jumper, especially on the negative side of things (i.e. bashing) and ESPECIALLY when I've only heard one side. That being said, it appears to me that Noah has been given less of a fair shake than he deserves but let me state up front that not EVERYONE has ignored the fact that Noah has a side unheard as of yet and have given him the benefit of the doubt. Dishonesty cannot be called after hearing only half a story, unless you're calling the only one telling the story dishonest, IMO.

Was this handled perfectly? It wouldn't seem so based on what we know so far. Have we all, always handled everything perfectly? Collectively I wish we'd be less likely or even unwilling to begin character assassinations only hearing one person's side of a story. Some may feel that we heard at least part of Noah's side but it wasn't from Noah so it's impact to this point is minimal, at best.

Kudos to chicks for supporting a member in previously (at least) good standing and pointing out a thing or two that I was thinking as I read through this thread.

It's unfortunate that the only long Feedback Forum threads seem to be negative. The ones where someone says "So and so gave me a great deal, went above and beyond", etc. typically end with that, sometimes have a "thank you" post from the subject receiving feedback and one or two compliments from others who've had dealings with that person. Never do they go on for multiple pages though.

I know, it's the nature of the Feedback forum, I get that and I also get that feedback can either be negative or positive. Why is it though that I've never seen a positive feedback thread that goes on and on about everyone's opinion/conjecture about the person being given feedback's character, skill level, level of honesty, etc.? Nobody seems to want to "pile on" when the feedback's good. I guess it's because it's difficult to fire up people who weren't involved in a good transaction but easier to do so when it's more of a problem transaction and everyone can seem to empathize more with getting stiffed in some way and get wound up about it?

Update

I know a lot of people have read this thread and it has elicited some emotional reactions and strong opinions and has been generally upsetting and exhausting for me.

I just wanted to offer an update (I know I said I was sick of this thread) on the saga before I post a final update on Bob's very kind and generous correcting of the transgressions to this beautiful unit.

Bob told me that when he received the unit, he was anxious to open the box so he opened it on the portch where FedEx had delivered it. Bob said that upon opening the box, the smell of cigarettes was so strong that he was afraid that if he brought it into the house, he would get in Dutch with the wife so he left it outside for a few hours to air out. Wow.

When he brought the unit inside, he was shocked to find that the unit had been shipped partially disassembled with detached boards and amplifier section detached which were thrashed about during shipping causing what I would described as significant damage to the unit. Even stranger than that, there were paper towels loosely stuffed into the unit the which I guess were a pathetically weak attempt to mitigate damage (you may have seen his defiant email/post about shipping it as I "asked" him to ).

The damage to the unit included a broken board which Bob has already epoxied and repaired the traces on, bent transformer mount as well as missing fasteners and and at least one missing piece of mounting hardware.

This is what has been uncovered thus far: I'm told that the shipping damage to the unit that was the result of the unit being shipped in a state of partial disassembly. As I mentioned there are missing fasteners and hardware in addition, a notably incomplete attention to the Marantz service bulletin(s) which requires the replacement of the green diodes (he did not indicate this in his short list of what was to be completed in his post and verbally).

I am heartbroken at the way the unit was treated but am thrilled that it is in Bob's capable and generous hands.

I will post an update when Bob finishes the unit.

The departure here reminds me of "you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore" and oh duh, and Caveat Emptor.

Thank you to all the great, thoughtful, kind and generous members here on AK and THANK YOU BOB :banana:

Last edited:
Really, cause Bob and I are friends. And he told me this from his last email to me, and we spoke on the phone, twice now.

"Noah,
I just don't understand it.
You had this 2385 pretty well licked !
Other than the filter caps and the f'd up lamp housings and Mickey Mouse led conversion( which was done by others) this unit was well on its way.
You already gutted the dual cans."

Remember , you said stop immediately Jeremy. What do you want, everything tied up in a red pretty bow and slapped on the ass? I did EXACTLY what you said, which was stop immediately and ship as is. I warned you what that meant, and Bob was well aware.

So who's lying?

I thought it was pretty well outlined here what was what. This is just ****ing petty.

Bob may very well have said those things as he is a generous and kind person who I understand is one of the members here who mentored you.

The history is here in this thread for anyone willing to read it. An understanding of the chononology as well as the history of action/inaction and resultant consequences can only lead to one conclusion.

All I have is my reputation and my word. There are people we encounter in the course of our personal and business lifes who are forthright, competent, hardworking and kind; they impress us and inspire us to be better people. In my significant interaction with Noah, he displayed none of these qualities.

For Noah to imply I am lying anywhere in this thread makes me want to vomit.

Before I sent the unit to Noah, a significant member here said of Noah "He's got a lot to learn, but shows promise. Let me know how it goes".

AudioKarma is a wonderful resources and this experience will allow me to better utilize it to make better decisions about this hobby and perhaps even make a friend or two.

Good luck with your life Noah.

Noah has used Audiokarma to learn and share and teach other people. I have had nothing but great experiences with him and his work. You appear to have used it to get one (albeit nice and expensive) unit fixed. When that didn't go smoothly, you used it to trash someone's reputation in a way that could have adverse effects on their livelihood. You have an awful lot of positive contributing to the AK discussion boards to ever catch up to BigVoyevoda (and I'm not talking about just complimenting the generous folks here who have help you). #TeamNoah

As this thread eventually identified an issue between two AK members and was moved to the Feedback forum, I have attempted to retain only the posts being more compliant with the Feedback forum rules and guidelines.

The thread remains closed for forum moderator review.

I have reopened this per a members request for a last post. The moderation team can not, and will not get in the middle of these he said - she said type threads, but will oblige a members wish in this instance.
Regards,
Jim

The following is his requested post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim,
I would liked to have made 1 last post before the inevitable closing but I was at work and came home for lunch too late.

I just wanted to say why I asked that the unit be sent to me.

What I was hoping to accomplish was to repair the damaged filter caps and send it on it's way to the OP.

That would spare Noah any more pain inflicted by some other less compassionate tech.

It would also have given the OP closure and a repaired unit.

What I didn't expect was that Noah ,out of spite or whatever, would ship this with all the internal parts loose which inflicted some serious damage inside.

I promised both parties a fair,impartial and honest evaluation and repair of the unit.

At that point I would have asked that the thread be closed until I was finished and would make a final report that could be read by a moderator before posting.

I did not believe that I would be caught in the middle of a cheering contest on one side and a newer member on the other having his integrity questioned because of his low post count.

I would hope that all AK members are treated equally by others regardless of their time here as members.

I was just trying to help and I will endeavor to continue that spirit here on Audiokarma.

My hope is that you will insert this message as the last post.

wlhd1610 (Bob)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom