Bill Watkins' thoughts about Watkins Woofers and Infinity

wwiztab

I found this link on another thread here on AK. It's a conversation Mr. Watkins had about his Watkins 12" woofers.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....=en&q=woofer+group:rec.audio.*+author:watkins

In the conversation he talks about the original parameters he set for the QLS-1 which evidently Infinity completely ignored.

I would like to know what was that original design? Is there a schematic of it anywhere? If he designed the woofer and a crossover that makes it efficient for most amplifiers, I would really like to try it in a set of speakers I'm building with Watkins 12's.

I know the WE-1 used 3 - 8" woofers, so that crossover is completely different.

If anyone has any insight on this, please share with all.

Thanks

AFAIK, he never published anything more than unlabeled schematics. also keep in mind that the circuit values would depend on the size of the cabinet to be used.

i would also say that you could do much worse than build a new QLS1-type speaker and simply copy the original woofer crossover. there isn't much to criticize with the result in my mind. that's still probably the most enjoyable bass i've heard.

IIRC, Mr. Watkins primary complaint with the QLS had to do with the volume of the cabinet and the quality of the components used in the dual-drive network.

But cdfac is right, it's tough to beat the bass performance in the Infinity QLS version, aside from the impedance issue and the relative low sensitivity. That can be overcome with a pair of high current amplifiers (or one BIG one).
By the way, the QLS has a internal volume of roughly 6.5 cubic feet.

Back
Top Bottom