Birding scopes?

Yup, that's absolutely a viable route. Presumably gives up a little light, contrast and sharpness, but probably very good results with good optics. Thus did I post the fully manual "digiscope" photo of the sharpie earlier (and that was taken with a very low-end, early Olympus digital camera -- our first digital one).

Been reading up on the huge variety of options from various manufacturers. Bottom line, no one does it better or simpler than Swarovski. Will be saving my pennies for a few months, because the are Pricey! I love the modularity of their ATX system. Swap in the 65mm for lighter weight for travelling, the 80mm or 95mm for light gathering when closer to home.

Great video explains Swarovski digiscoping.

Went to a "Birds in Scopes" activity today, sponsored by the Consumnes River Preserve. I'm fortunate to live very near the Pacific Flyway, and the winter home for thousands of waterfowl.

Lots of Scopes to peer through, including Swarovski. Was super impressed by the Vortex Razors, though. For $1200 or so, sharp, bright and contrasty. The docents highly recommended them. One had dropped theirs, and damaged the eyepiece. Vortex replaced it, no cost. Hmmmm. Great reviews on the Web, too...

Not saying they bested the Swaros, but for the money, they appear to be a real bargain, much easier to rationalize in case my interest in this new hobby wanes over time. So far, a great way to get outside and stay active! Really nice folks, birders, willing to share their expensive gear with novices.

No complaints 'bout birders, being married to one -- they manifest a certain... intensity, though.
Ever see the movie The Big Year? It's -- not inaccurate. Mrs. H knows, and has birded with, the real life version of one of the movie's characters (I won't say which at this time) :)

EDIT: Sadly, Mrs. H hasn't managed to make it to Attu, yet. I don't think it's very feasible any more, unfortunately.

We enjoyed it -- but we're biased.
It's not Citizen Kane, but it was fun.
I mean -- Jack Black & Steve Martin (& Owen Wilson, too)... how can you go wrong? :)

Back
Top Bottom