Birds - Post 'em up

addylo

We need a bird thread. Just because.

ID 'em if you can. If not maybe someone else can.

Green Heron
566075761_aCpTC-XL.jpg

Nighthawk
566076006_sSGx6-XL.jpg

Great Egret
DSC6472-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos!
Mrs. H is an avid birder; well-equipped with optics 'cause I like optics :)

I try to photograph interesting birds in our yard; I am rarely very successful ('cause I am a crappy photographer).

turkey
P1020282.jpg

scarlet tanager
P1000255.jpg

goshawk
P1000798.jpg

red-tailed hawk
P1020265.jpg

sharp-shinned hawk
(taken through the eyepiece of Mrs. H's Swarovski spotting scope with a point 'n' shoot digital!)
sharpie120104.jpg

hummer (really crappy photo!)
hummingboid.jpg

Pileated woodpecker
P1000556.jpg

Posted elsewhere, but the context is here too.

IMG_1355.jpg
Great shot!

I've been trying to ID him but so far I'm not sure. I thought I had him tagged as an Eastern Kingbird but the white forehead is wrong. What part of the country did you shoot him?

Egret hunts lizard:
IMG_6045JPG.jpg

IMG_6046JPG.jpg

IMG_6047JPG.jpg

IMG_6048JPG.jpg

IMG_6049JPG.jpg

IMG_6050JPG.jpg

the strike:
IMG_6051JPG.jpg

swallowing sequence:
IMG_6052JPG.jpg

IMG_6053JPG.jpg

IMG_6054JPG.jpg

IMG_6057JPG.jpg

gluttony (goes back looking for more):
IMG_6055JPG.jpg

IMG_6056JPG.jpg

I'm a subscriber of the Canon Point, Push, and Hope school of photography. These were taken with my cheesy old Canon 3mp point and shoot camera. Beginners luck.

Thanks but I'm just a crazy Texan with a camera.

I do love bird photography. It's kinda what drew me into the sport in the first place.

Eastern Phoebe
566076085_NYmzc-XL.jpg

A rather annoyed (with me) Reddish Egret.
DSC9103-XL.jpg

Ruby-crowned Kinglet. These little guys are high-octane and difficult to capture.
1150903148_XUJA8-XL-2.jpg

Yellow-crown Night Heron. Just got him today.
DSC8465-XL.jpg

Green Heron in a tree... I have never seen one in a tree before. Did you know that a Green Heron will use bait to catch a fish? Google it, it is simply amazing.

GreenHeron.jpg

Another Hawk, I think it is a Redtail,

hawk2.jpg

Backyard Mocking Bird

MockingBird.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot!

I've been trying to ID him but so far I'm not sure. I thought I had him tagged as an Eastern Kingbird but the white forehead is wrong. What part of the country did you shoot him?
Neal,
I have not been able to ID him either. It was shot in Rainier NP.

Green Heron in a tree... I have never seen one in a tree before. Did you know that a Green Heron will use bait to catch a fish? Google it, it is simply amazing.
Cool! I didn't know that.

I stood in the shadows and watch one fishing once. It was cool to see. He waited for several minutes, peering into the water, then dove in completely immersing himself. A few seconds later he came out with a crawfish in his beak.

Neal,
I have not been able to ID him either. It was shot in Rainier NP.

Ah, then I was looking on the wrong coast. I wish we had a profile shot for better ID but from what I can see of the front I'm betting he's a Gray Jay.

Back
Top Bottom