Black 5010 Cassette Deck

dpcornell

Bought this European 5010 Cassette Deck from another member today. Thanks again! Your gear was amazing!

After a thorough cleaning I was able to get it singing again. I've taken an inventory of the electrolytic capacitors and will be ordering replacements. I still need to get the repair manual.

There are some things I could use a hand with:

The door doesn't sit quite right. There is a lot of play in it, causing it to rub and not open when the eject button is depressed.

Are there any other problem components I should replace?
I will probably replace the diodes.

There are some minor scuffs in the faceplate. Does anyone have suggestions on making them at least less noticeable? I have seen some aluminum black for firearms that I think might do the trick. Has anyone used it?

It sure is pretty!
IMG_20180610_2144419.jpg

I’ve never seen a black face 5010. Nice! I bought a 5020 new in the mid 70’s. Loved the looks and sound. Sold it in the 90’s (stupid) and found another one a couple of years ago. It was gunked up bad. Opened it, cleaned it up, put in new belts and it sounds great. Service manual should be on hifiengine.com. On the door, you’re just going to have to open it up, get access to the door hardware and see what’s wrong. Service manual will help with disassembly. I’ve done a couple of these, and their lever control system tends to be gunked up with dried grease. It’s tedious, but you can get access, clean with isopropyl alcohol where you see dried grease, and regrease. No oil! Oil is the enemy of a transport mechanism except for spots specifically spelled out in the SM.

It's got a European plug with a US adapter. I haven't seen much about it online, so they can't be very common.

What type of grease do you suggest I use?

Do you oil or grease the motor while the transport is out?

Thanks for the response.

For all of my turntable and tape deck work, I use Shell Gadus S2 V220 grease. The turntable experts like it. One cartridge (made to fit a grease gun) is about $15 on Amazon and will last a hobbyist a lifetime. I transfer it to a syringe to apply it precisely. As for the motor - can’t remember if I oiled anything or not. If I did, it was only per the service manual. Someone else can tell you better about the plug. The U.S. versions did not have a grounded chassis. I’m just not sure if it is safe to remove the ground or not. I also wonder if the unit has jumpers to adapt to 60hz, 120 vAC.

Back
Top Bottom