Black Diamond Racing cones

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
This seems as good a place as any to place this.

I regard to system tweeks and improvements, I am using a Denon DRA 825 with a cd player for headphone use only. My cans are Sennheiser HD 600's.

Besides cables (which I believe can have a big effect on overall presentation) I am a firm believer in component isolation and vibration reduction devices. I have owned 2 sets BDR cones that I use in my main system along with other things. After listening to to my Sennheiser's with the Denon, I noticed that everything was sounding ok but a little flat and non-envolving. I decided to try three of the #3 cones under the receiver to see if there would be any improvement. Low and behold, the cones really improved the depth and lushness of the soundstage, almost tube like. A very noticable improvement through the can's. Even my local PR jazz station sounds much, much better.

This improvement is not minor.

Im not suggesting that anyone run out and purchase these cones, but you might just want to give them a whirl if you are looking to fine tune your system. If im not mistaken, BDR claims the 3's are for adding "tube like" warmth and the 4's are designed to add more detail and tighten up bass for tube gear thats just too warm sounding. I cant speak to the latter but the 3's seem to do the right things for this SS receiver.

RC

I have a BDR platform and Clear Audio Magix magnetic thingys to play around with. Good to hear your observations. Thanks

I had no idea that there were different kinds of cones! Very interesting post - thanks!

To be honest, I have no idea what the differences are in the materials used for the #3's and #4's. I use the #3's under my tube gear also and if anything else, it sure isn't causing any ill effects.

Used with the SS receiver it is very noticable for the better. I own somethings (vibration/isolation devices) that I really need to search for an improvement if you know what I mean :D. The #3's under the receiver was an immediate improvement that took no "searching".

RC

Also, using the headphones, the music is right on top of you with no outside distraction. Pretty effective way to listen for changes. Improvements or otherwise.

Last edited:
BDR Platform

these guys have a wicked cool looking wall mount system. its on their website and looks expensive, but also very sweet. www.6moons.com just did a preview of the rack.

Very difficult to believe all these positive responses. :thmbsp: I expected this to degenerate into a 'cable-like' discussion. :thumbsdn: Nothing like a good set BDRCs to isolate gear with. :yes:

Yep B2, they seem to work well.

Here is a blast fron the past. Im still using a Townsend Seismic Sink air bladder platform that I bought back in the mid nineties under my TT. Im not even sure if they are around anymore.

Man, Im getting old.

RC

I know of a place that sells some type of air bladder (forgot what brand it is) but they did not recommend it for TT's.

So they still sell 'em (somewhere). You're not that old after all. :)

Back
Top Bottom