Black-Face Sansui 990db On The Bay

Who are these people who buy this equipment just to store it back again in their boxes for 20+ years? Collectors?

I thought the same thing! By the way, I cant get the link to insert in my reply. Any suggestions?:confused:

:cool: Thanks for letting me know 1420-1503 . When I clicked on the link before, the page wouldnt display. So, I thought the link was messed up.

Thanks again!:D

Pretty rare to find a receiver "new" in the box liike that, no matter what brand.

Nice!

It is a beauty. Anyone venture to guess what it goes for? I wouldn't be surprised if it topped $700.

- Pete

I will take the one or two minor scratches my 990DB has and its $25 price tag any day of the week. One thing that can be said however is they look darn nice in person, if you really really wanted it like new you get something like this, if you can live with one slightly less complete and can get a better price its still worth it. Was in the computer room not more than two minutes ago admiring mine while I heated up a snack, came back here and spotted this thread. Strange coincidence I guess. Its a really really nice receiver cosmetically, if you ever happen to own one you will likely wonder why anyone would by the 9090DB, it looks so much nicer in black.

As far as who has equipment like this? People like me. I have my Marantz 2060ML tuner which I bought as NOS boxed back up with all packing materials and instructions (including a virtually useless piece of paper which wrapped around the cabinet). My dad's best friend's dad used to collect this stuff, has tons of Kenwood receivers and tuners, Akai tape decks and Dual turntables sitting NIB. As well as hosts of other stuff connected but still looking like new, Tandberg, McIntosh, Dual, Akai, the names you would expect to see. Has at least 6 pairs of vintage AR speakers lined up along a wall in the basement. The main "system" which this was a part of had about 5 turntables, countless amplifiers, at least two dozen speakers. Reel-to-reel decks, the complexity of the wiring was unlike anything I have ever seen, and I think some of my systems are complex! I would have given it a try if I knew how to fire the thing up.

Well I dunno it sure looks awfully nice, I can probably stave off desire to buy another by going and looking at mine, reserve is probably awfully high anyway.

Geez, thats $1100 more than what I got it for :eek: Thats a heck of a lot of money to pay for it, I don't care what anyone says. I mean its just a black 9090DB. It may be mint but its still a big chunk of change considering its not even NOS. Just buy a banged up 9090DB that works and paint it black if thats what you want. :D I wonder how many of these will float out of the woodwork now from people just wanting to capitalize on the seeming demand that this one had. As nice as it would be to grab a quick chunk of change and pawn mine off on ebay I don't have the heart to, besides it looks so nice.

BTW, did anyone notice its not powered up in any of the pictures? Would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable knowing that that protection light was off and hopefully that the dial lights worked... Remember it is being sold as is...

Sorry about the focus, my camera has lighting issues but here is a picture of what it looks like with the lights on

Here is another in its now permanent home. Don't get me wrong, I like this receiver, I just think this auction is way over the top for it. I mean this thing is absolutely beautiful to look at, sometimes I go admire it for no real reason other than it looks so darn great. Functionally though its no different than a 9090DB, only cosmetically different. Should it really have fetched 4 times what a top dollar 9090DB goes for? Please someone, tell me I am not crazy and that this is a big chunk of change for this thing!

After having worked on a bunch of these, I'd say that they are:

1) Very nice sounding, but overhyped. I can think of at least a dozen other receivers I'd rather own. Build quality is 'good', but isn't in the same league as the G9000/G8000.

2) Worth nowhere near what it sold for. Not even half that.

It looks like two bidders took it from $600 to the $1,125. At least those two guys though it was worth over $1,000. It's the combination of the black face and the exceptional condition that can bring out that gotta-have-it-at-any-price-mentality.

It is interesting to see it was not powered up and nowhere does the seller make any mention of how it works or sounds. His only comment is a generic, all my equipment is fully functional at the time of sale.

I hope the buyer gets what he thinks he bought.

- Pete

Well there probably are vintage pieces that could command that much, but thats way high for this power level. Anyone have any clue as to how rare they actually are in black? I mean I have seen two auctioned on ebay since I bought mine in Feb. or so, this one and a parts unit. The parts unit was ended early by the seller and was up in the $150 range. Still I searched two whole years for a Fisher RS-1080, two years is a long time, here two showed up in a matter of months. I always found the 9090DB to be merely average for the power class as far as build quality. It does sound fine, and works well enough but I agree, way way over the top at $1125. I would buy it again at the price I paid every day of the week but I can't ever see myself ever spending that much to own one whether black or silver. It will be interesting to see whether it turns out to work or not. I certainly would have given a good inquiry if I was going to shell out that kind of money.

yrly, That 990DB looks no worse than the "new" one that sold for umm....too much. I just can't imagine buying something like that new, then putting it back in a box and never using it. Just amazes me. Although I used to see this old lady about 60-70 yrs old driving around a pristine 69 Camaro Z28 w/302 engine in it. My friend followed her home one day and asked if she wanted to sell it, she said it had been her sons car before he went to Vietnam and was killed there and she would never sell it. Maybe it was the same thing? Guy bought it, sent it home and he never made it back? Never know...People are strange.

Back
Top Bottom