Black Gate PS Capasitor

Thanks Audio Asylum

I know that some of you are refugees of Audio Asylum and enjoy pooping on them occationally. And while I'll be the first to admit they have there share of flaming a$$holes, my experiences have for the most part been excellant. And I count a number of Inmates as good friends that have helped me immensely. Whether instructing me about tubes, high efficiency speakers or my lastest field of ignornace - DIY. As I inquired on two forums here, I recently posted on the DIY Tube Forum at AA about my wish to upgrade the PSU cap in my amp. Here is the thread in question.

MikE

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/42719.html

Photo of bypass cap on LCR

Here's a photo of the configuration of the LCR / bypass poly caps that my freind did on his Moth. As they say, a picture is worth...

"Hi MikE, see the link for LCR Bybass. It that demo, the gold/sliver things are small value oil caps (not the ones you're getting). The black one is just a bleeding resistor. Forget that! Yellow and red lugs are positive. Silver lug (not mark) is negative. As simple as "ABC". You will make it. Don't worry."

MikE

http://hometown.aol.com/tube4less/bypass.jpg

By-pass Completed

Well, I finally got around to by-passing the LCR electrolytic. I used the small value .015uf @ 600VDC vintage oil caps that a fellow Moth s45 owner supplied to me [free]. Thanks Christopher Lee! Instead of removing the 'lytic cap I just soldered the small guage solid silver leads to mini-alligator clips, then insulated them with heat shrink and clipped them on.

My first impression were not positive. The sound was compressed and grainy. So I left it on all night to burn it in. The following evening the graininess was completely removed. In it's place was a smoothness that was not present with the LCR cap. With this lush quality there was a certain "sleepiness" to the music. The micro-dynamics appeared to still be compressed, and treble extention truncated. The focus was even more strongly on the middle registers. Harmonic integrity was improved. Instruments sounded more real, as well as voices. At this moment the EML 45's appear to have almost been removed from the aural landscape with the addition of the polypropolyne caps.

It's funny, because both Chris and Rob suggested that the aspects that I now question should have been enhanced with this by-pass. I'll have to give it more time to stabilize and my ears to adjust to the "new sound". Right now the amp has more of a traditional "SETness" to it. In some ways it's an improvement and others not. Just not sure if I like it. It sure has a seductive quality to it!

MikE

I won't argue the "will the BG make a difference or not issue" since it has been covered so well here. I will however explain why I won't even bother to test or audition them myself. Someday one of my customers will insist on them and I will use them I never turn down a customer request as long as it won;t out the gear in harms way. But until then I will not line the pockets of price fixers with my money. There is no weay in heck the the BG electrolytes cost 10 times what other products that will do at least a admirable job do to produce. The mark up on these caps has to be at least 1000% compared to there competitors ! Whether there great or not they are not in anyway a value. You are not getting your moneys worth buying them. There are many other things that could be done with the money to improve your audio system. More music would come to mind !

Craig

Back
Top Bottom