Blank Cassette Source?

sjfloat

Sure this is a sticky or something somewhere, but...

So, I've got a turntable running again. Which means I'm gonna be pulling all my vinyl out to get onto cassette (or rather pick up where I left off). It's been a *long* time since I've bought cassettes. Where do you get your good quality cassettes? For starters, I see:

https://www.deltamedia.com

and

http://nationalaudiocompany.com

But where are the super-secret cool kid sources?

Dearborn Music here in Metro Detroit recently had 1985ish TDK SA 90s and TDK SA-X 90s for way less than Eprey prices. I had to do a double take! It took me a couple of weeks, but I bought them out!! With the analog resurgence it wouldn't surprise me if one of your local shops had a stash! I was certainly surprised!!

Dearborn Music here in Metro Detroit recently had 1985ish TDK SA 90s and TDK SA-X 90s for way less than Eprey prices. I had to do a double take! It took me a couple of weeks, but I bought them out!! With the analog resurgence it wouldn't surprise me if one of your local shops had a stash! I was certainly surprised!!

Encouraging. I'll keep my eyes open (Pittsburgh).

Really? For blank tapes? I'll have to be on the lookout there too.
My Habitat For Humanity for some reason has provided a plethora of sealed chrome tapes. Sonys, Maxells, etc.; that place is a weird assortment for me, at least. I don't know much about GWs in Pittsburgh, but its definitely worth a shot.

Usually patiently troll thrift stores and garage sales if you want Type II. Or pay eBay prices. That said, National Audio Company has superb tape in Type 1 and their BASF/ECP Type II is excellent tape. If you don't want to order 100, call NAC and get some samples to try out, they will work with you and get you a small quantity.

My Habitat For Humanity for some reason has provided a plethora of sealed chrome tapes. Sonys, Maxells, etc.; that place is a weird assortment for me, at least. I don't know much about GWs in Pittsburgh, but its definitely worth a shot.

That's also a good idea. We have a place here called The Restore. Is that the place you're talking about?

Usually patiently troll thrift stores and garage sales if you want Type II. Or pay eBay prices. That said, National Audio Company has superb tape in Type 1 and their BASF/ECP Type II is excellent tape. If you don't want to order 100, call NAC and get some samples to try out, they will work with you and get you a small quantity.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I didn't realize they sold type II.

That's also a good idea. We have a place here called The Restore. Is that the place you're talking about?
That's what it's called! Haven't been there in a while. I've found a little bit of everything there, R2R tapes, my first cassette deck, first speakers. Got my desk there, too!

This may sound crazy but I befriended a flipper at my local Goodwill. While thumbing through vinyl one day he started to brag about his finds. During the conversation I asked him if he ever comes across cassettes and he said "yeah but people only want metal type 4s". Within a few sentences I had him on the lookout for me. That connection alone has brought me all kinds of Type II cassettes and R2R tapes.

This may sound crazy but I befriended a flipper at my local Goodwill. While thumbing through vinyl one day he started to brag about his finds. During the conversation I asked him if he ever comes across cassettes and he said "yeah but people only want metal type 4s". Within a few sentences I had him on the lookout for me. That connection alone has brought me all kinds of Type II cassettes and R2R tapes.

I would not have thought of that. It always seemed a competitive thing. I will definitely keep this in mind.

The best reproduction BASF Chrome II Extra cassette tapes in new impact resistant plastic are from....

duplication.ca

For the best possible recordings use an amp that has a severely low THD, high signal to noise ratio and high dampening. Early 90's dual well players with both Dolby B and C are recommended due to better circuitry. Then the source being the player be it a turntable or CD player has to be ultra quiet with low THD or low wow and flutter. A conical stylus yields more tones and is better for recording as long as the vinyl is a better recording and a cork turntable mat under a thick rubber mat yields the best reproduction of sound when using a turntable. The medium has to be a great recording and a clamp....weight has to be used when recording from vinyl. Better interconnect cables are a must. A great CD player like the Onkyo C-7030 is an awesome source for recording from CD's.

Non.....Chrome II Extra tapes are no good for serious recordings because so much of the sources sound is not recorded leaving an empty sound. I myself tried the Maxwell and the like without attaining the proper standard of excellence. Anyone can buy a type one or two tape from eBay, stick it into a machine with dirty heads and dust all over it with old ass RCA cables that came with a video game cause their long. Then having the same interconnects on a turntable with the OEM head-shell, an old OEM thin rubber mat and a receiver or amp that has 0.3% to 0.03% THD with a S/N ratio under 90db.....and end up with terrible sound. The idea is not to think that whatever you do with cassette you will always have a terrible sound....so why bother. Fact is why bother has destroyed our culture....

Non.....Chrome II Extra tapes are no good for serious recordings because so much of the sources sound is not recorded leaving an empty sound. I myself tried the Maxwell and the like without attaining the proper standard of excellence. Anyone can buy a type one or two tape from eBay, stick it into a machine with dirty heads and dust all over it with old ass RCA cables that came with a video game cause their long. Then having the same interconnects on a turntable with the OEM head-shell, an old OEM thin rubber mat and a receiver or amp that has 0.3% to 0.03% THD with a S/N ratio under 90db.....and end up with terrible sound. The idea is not to think that whatever you do with cassette you will always have a terrible sound....so why bother. Fact is why bother has destroyed our culture....
Dude, you, you OK, there?

Cass_Category_751_Sonic_CLEAR.png
Cass_Category_771_Sonic_252W.png

NAC has the chrome cassettes back in stock !! (National Audio Company)

Back
Top Bottom