Blank Cassette Source?

I have been able to amass a stash of Chrome tapes from top brands of the era, almost all from GW stores, although I have not spotted any in quite a while now.

If I were in need of more (I only occasionally record a cassette), I would buy a lot from NAC. I have heard nothing but good things about their offerings. Their pricing is very fair. For a couple large, I would have a lifetime supply.

Really? For blank tapes? I'll have to be on the lookout there too.

Our GW's stopped carrying cassettes, but we have other thrifts that I've stocked up on Maxell XL-II's (40 total). Boatdrinks (AKer) has accumulated 10x that on sealed XL-II's over the years from thrifts.

You can use a good quality stereo VCR to record music using some excellent quality tape that should be still available now days.

I realize this is slightly off topic but do your research on the specific machine before attempting this type of recording. Any machine without adjustable input levels (which is most) will use an auto leveling circuit. Some of these work quite well and others brickwall everything.

I vote for NAC. I have used their Cobalt tapes and like the sound from them. They only let you order in batches of 100 from their website, but if you call and talk with them, they will let you order less than 100 over the phone. They will charge a little more per tape, but still a great bargain for very good NEW cassette tapes.

I vote for NAC. I have used their Cobalt tapes and like the sound from them. They only let you order in batches of 100 from their website, but if you call and talk with them, they will let you order less than 100 over the phone. They will charge a little more per tape, but still a great bargain for very good NEW cassette tapes.

I've let my spending get away from me lately. Has anyone done an AK group purchase, kind of like massdrop? Seems like it might be a good thing to do.

I'm in! I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to try their tapes!

Well I'm a noob on this forum. Is there a natural way to do that? Market place, etc.?

Also, I'm told you can call them initially for smaller quantities to try them out. I'll surely give that a try at some point.

NAC 771s are BASF CP Extra. Same as Delta Media. Nobody, not even NAC, makes type II anymore and hasn't for quite some time. It's all NOS pancakes loaded into new shells.

I see. That's a depressing thought. So it will run out at some point. I wonder what kind of stock remains? Is chrome a lot more costly to manufacture than ferric?

I see. That's a depressing thought. So it will run out at some point. I wonder what kind of stock remains? Is chrome a lot more costly to manufacture than ferric?
It has more to do with the chemicals involved in making chromes and new environmental regulations from what I understand. So yes, the NAC/Delta Media NOS BASF Chrome will run out at some point. NAC has said they have a significant amount. If you're concerned, order 300, or however many you think will get you by for life, and call it a day. Then you don't need to worry about the supply drying up.

What do you do with all the vcr tapes? Can't seem to give away, bring to the recycle enter or sell them. Was told to put out on bulk refuse day.

Found a wrapped NOS Maxell XLII in a thrift store for 50 cents... they've raised their prices recently, cassettes used to be 25 cents.

Back
Top Bottom