Blank discs

Balthazarr

Are Philips discs (CD-r) better than Sony or Memorex?
I recently received some discs from neptunepinkfloyd vine and noticed that on these 3 Philips cd's all the tracks (49) of covers by members are much easier to listen to than all of the discs I have made using Sony and Memorex.

Or is it my burner/sw?
I've used WMP 9; Itunes; and RP10 with this burner-an HP 9100 cdw.

The tracks from the Philips cd-r's are all cda. Most of mine are wav or MP3 if that makes a difference?

No, the edges have not been "painted" on the Philips.

I noticed on my old burner that I made a lot of "coasters" with the generic disks and less with the name brand ones. With my new burner I have had no issues with either.

Don't know how true this is, but I read somewhere a while back that if you use the cheaper discs that the data may get lost over time. I personally use HP or Maxell cd-r's and have had no problems at all.

Paul

How can the data be lost unless the surface of disc becomes opaque and beam can't penetrate to recorded layer?
These discs were recorded only a week ago if that.

there was a problem years ago with the dye fading on some discs, you guys probably know that the laser burns the dye and changes the color so it can be read, while factory original discs are impressed on an aluminum layer. I guess no one really knows how long the dye will remain stable.

I have used Imation, TDK, and (believe it or not) HP CD-R blanks for years with superb results, and have only had failures with Sonys. CD-/+RW's from Memorex are bulletproof for me, but again, Sonys fail repeatedly.

Great link, MG! Thank you!

EDIT: Here are excerpts from the History log of Nero Burning ROM 6 when using 3 DVD+RW's this evening for backing up my files on my PC. All are labeled as Memorex.

22:23:49 #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2137
Recorder: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S, Media type: DVD+RW
Disc Manufacturer ID: RICOHJPN, Media Type ID: W11, Product revision number: 1

22:50:15 #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2137
Disc Manufacturer ID: PHILIPS, Media Type ID: 041, Product revision number: 0

23:06:53 #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2137
Disc Manufacturer ID: PHILIPS, Media Type ID: 041, Product revision number: 0

Tom

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for that link. I now understand what I'm up against and I should remove that burned Nav disc from my Traffic Pro deck when not using to begin with.
Good to see that Philips Gold and Silver provide decent results in that test too.

Last edited:
My faves are the Memorex Blck CDR's and anything made by Fuji and TDK. The Japanese manufactured discs seem to hold up better and longer than the others.

I've had horrid luck with the silver blank cd's from Sony, TDK and Memorex. Actually had some of the Sony's delaminate on me, making them unplayable. Anyway, have had very good luck with the black surfaced Memorex and TDK's.

My current favorites are the Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R's. They look like little 45's. They are very resistant to delam, as well.
B00009WO51.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm with Micropassatman on this, my favs are the black Memorex CD-Rs and TDKs. Always had good luck with both of them. Never had a TDK go bad on me for the over 5 years I've been using them. However, with regular, non-black Memorex CD-rs and Maxells, the discs are regularly off-balance.

Theodoric, I thought those Verbatims gimmicky and haven't tried them yet. Are they actually good quality discs?

- JP

They sound at least as good as the Mitsui Golds, IMHO.

I burned copies of Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins, the Teldec Pictures at an Exhibition, and No Protection by Massive Attack (remixed by Mad Professor), and did an A/B/C comparison (A=original, B=Mitsui, C=Verbatim), and I couldn't tell a difference between B and C. I actually think the burned discs (Plextor mechanisms sound best, IMHO) sound better than the original pressed CD. The addition of Sims rings made them sound even better and more focused.

The surface treatment on the Verbatims seems to make them more resistant to durability 'issues', which is nice. They seem to have more perceived value than regular 'ol silver CD-Rs, IMHO.

I found the best price buying them online at Best Buy, $20 for a spool of 50.

Back
Top Bottom