blocked ip on my phone

Tschwahh

all of a sudden today my ip adress is blocked on audiokarma. heeellpp! i cant live a normal happy life without this forum! i dont recall doing anything or even ever posting so i dont think i could be banned.

How did you post if the ip address is blocked?

Good question.

@Tschwahh, if you are using a proxy, then you are at the mercy of anyone who spammed from that proxy. StopForumSpam will block you, based on the actions of others. Your IP resolves to Comcast Cable, and that one is okay, not blocked. If you are using a mobile device, I will need the IP from which you tried to access AK, but failed. Since you didn't get in, AK's log has no record of the IP you were using.

Phone carriers have large pools of IP addresses, so indeed they can be difficult to trace. A server log would show the access but, out of millions of lines of "hits," nobody has the time or energy to sort through them all. Been there, attempted that! ;)

Next time you are blocked, go immediately to a site like https://www.whatismyip.com/ and capture the IP number.

A server log would show the access but, out of millions of lines of "hits," nobody has the time or energy to sort through them all. Been there, attempted that! ;)

Depends on how good you are at games like wack a mole.

But this poster has 1 post and this is it. And only has been a member a month.

Just saying is all.

Frannie

Or could the blocked IP on his phone be a duplicate IP of an existing member, as in an alter-ego? :whip:

Lots of people share IPs, especially if they access AK via mobile devices, and use the same carrier. No problem there, unless there was a reason to block a specific IP.

try turning the internet connection off and back on ..hopefully you will get a nice new ip address .. it used to happen with my phone when using internet .

Hiya,

This is why I don't have dynamic IP blacklists myself with servers I manage.

The overhead of playing the wack a mole game from an administrator point of view is not worth the time spent.

Frannie

Yeah, I don't usually block IPs either, unless I block entire countries or regions. (I've had to block Baidu-bot from my servers, since they were very ill behaved and slamming our sites, nearly a DOS attack the way they were going about it, with several requests per second on database-heavy pages from dozens of IPs at a time. Blocked most of them, and we've not had that problem for a few years now.) Too long to go into how I deal with things, but I do what I need to, and just leave the rest alone. I had one site's page attracting the attention of some hackers, and they were hammering hard on the server trying to break it. I finally took it offline. It took a couple of weeks for the requests to die down, and it was impossible to kill them by blocking the IPs, since if you shut one down, another would appear in its place (from a totally different range).

Forum-wise, I never say publicly what us forum admins are capable of.... ;) (Given that spammers, trolls, etc. can read the stuff we post publicly, we don't want to show our hands.) Hats off to Ernie and the guys for keeping this place running smoothly!

I notice that the spammers are getting more clever in their work-arounds. This exercise is always one side trying to catch up to, and then pass, the other.
You build a better mouse trap you get smarter mice as a result.

Frannie

I just tried logging in from home. I get a message that says "IP Address has been banned". But I have no issue logging in from work???

all of a sudden today my ip adress is blocked on audiokarma. heeellpp! i cant live a normal happy life without this forum! i dont recall doing anything or even ever posting so i dont think i could be banned.
Joined Nov 28, 2016
Last seen Jun 10, 2022

So - although Tschwahh posted that complaint in 2016, they apparently did get back in, tho the OP hasn't been here for nearly 2 years.

I just tried logging in from home. I get a message that says "IP Address has been banned". But I have no issue logging in from work???
It appears one of the IP addresses you're using was shared by someone banned for spamming. Suggest you send a private message to @Tinkerbelle

Back
Top Bottom