blocking off a window

An add-on acoustical type storm window can make a lot of difference. You have to put a lot of money into a replacement window to get the same performance.

Absolutely. But if VolvoHeretic truly has windows that large and that thin, a storm window won't stop their sympathetic vibration. Not to mention the safety factor - building codes in many areas wouldn't allow this. A large wind load, or an angry bird, would take these right out, and potential woe to anyone nearby.

Kind of like having drum heads or passive radiators in your walls.

Aunty Em - Maybe a "gobo"? One of those modular partitions they use for office cubicles? Some are specifically designed for reducing sound transmission - and if you look around you might find a free one. Recover it with the fabric of choice, or hang art on it, leave it next to the window and slide it in front of it when you want to rock. Might help.

Last edited:
Laminated glass doesn't suffer from loss of TL due to resonance the way monolithic does.

Laminated glass doesn't suffer from loss of TL due to resonance the way monolithic does.

Understood. I guess I assumed that an acoustic storm window would be in addition to the (presumably) standard 1/8" glass already in place, which would still be a problem (at least for me).

These 50 year old windows are truly scary, big wind gusts have the same affect on them that the stereo has. I had a stumbling drunk once tip over backward, but fell into the 8" stud space between them and thus was not guillotined and killed. But, woudn't a dampener of some sorts lower their resonence fequency? (Also, I used to be a carpenter, so I could build nonparallel windows of any design if I had any real ambition.)

Last edited:
If you're already thinking about changing out old windows for new ones, by all means go for it. Old windows can be pretty crappy, and if they're old and crappy enough, that would be a better way to go than a storm window. It would look a lot nicer and just be cleaner in general. Better for thermal insulation, too.

Any new insulated window would be a big improvement over an old monolithic window. I wouldn't worry about damping the panes, it would look ugly and just get uglier over time as it collected dirt and bubbles. Get windows with one side laminated and you'll be in very good shape acoustically.

The point of non-parallel windows is to prevent slap-back echo and strong node development inside the room. That won't have any noticeable effect on sound transmission through the glass.

AuntyEm - Sorry for the thread hijack, I hope you're able to come up with a reasonable solution to this!

VolvoHeretic - Sounds like it's time for a change! If you can build the frames, do this. RevMen's suggestion is perfect.

RevMen - I just wanted to say that, while I am certainly no expert, your advice and observations are the most accurate and detailed I've come across here. There's a lot of confusion around treating different acoustical issues, and your comments are extremely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom