Blown fuses in cerwin vega e712

maggiesnmacs

I have a pair of cerwin vega e712's that are rated for 300 watts. I've been running then from a 50wpc Harmon kardon for years with no problem, but today I got my dads vintage Macintosh mc2205 rated for 200wpc 500 peak. Of course I pushed it a little and it was at about 20wpc with 100 watt peaks when bam. Left channel fuse blew... I didn't think it would blow so soon with such little power.

So does anyone know how to replace the fuse and also what's a good size fuse to go with. I'm usually pretty cautious when it comes to restraint with the volume so I'm not too worried with getting too big of a fuse. And why would the fuse blow so soon? The fuse has a knob on the back which I think was turned down all the way but still...

Replace with same size fuse. Has the DC offset been checked on the amp that blew the speaker fuses?

So Im thinking about replacing the 2.5A fuse with a larger one. Maybe 3A or 3.5A because the fuse blew well before the capabilities of the speaker. Is this a bad idea? How can I figure out how much power each fuse can handle?

From my math in my 8ohm speaker, 2.5A means only about 50 watts before blowing where as my cv's are rated at 300 watts and were not very stressed when the fuse blew.

On my D-9's the 2.5A "slow-blow" fuses were blowing. I emailed Cerwin-Vega and they actually recommended upgrading to 3A of the same type. I never had another fuse issue after that.

I got the vs-150s and for the longest time I could only get 2a slow blow fuses and ran the speakers off a Yamaha ax-570 cranked almost to max with no issues other then the odd fuse pop. just today I finally got the proper 2.5a and I actually couldn't believe the difference it made they were louder and for some odd reason sounded better too. I didn't think there would be any audible difference. hearing that difference made me try bypass the fuse totally for comparison and im not sure if it all in my head but they sounded a lot worse like that so in my opinion use the recommended fuse which I think for you is a 2.5a 250v slow blow if im not mistaken.

I got the vs-150s and for the longest time I could only get 2a slow blow fuses and ran the speakers off a Yamaha ax-570 cranked almost to max with no issues other then the odd fuse pop. just today I finally got the proper 2.5a and I actually couldn't believe the difference it made they were louder and for some odd reason sounded better too. I didn't think there would be any audible difference. hearing that difference made me try bypass the fuse totally for comparison and im not sure if it all in my head but they sounded a lot worse like that so in my opinion use the recommended fuse which I think for you is a 2.5a 250v slow blow if im not mistaken.

I had a tech in CA yesterday tell me that a fuse can blow on a Cerwin Vega VS-150 from an underpowered amp also and I have been pushing 100wpc thru 4 ohm output for two years now. He said it really takes a good 150-200w amp to power the VS-150s properly has anyone ever heard of this before? I was at a loss as to why only my left channel fuse blew ;and the fuse cover also broke when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom