Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by luvvinvinyl, Dec 30, 2009.

?

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2010.
  1. I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

220 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

22 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

141 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

97 vote(s)
    19.9%
  5. Something else. Please tell us.

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Please participate in this poll, I'd appreciate it! (I do have to note, that if any money is given out, it will be given by an as yet unnamed 3rd party) In no way is Audiokarma saying we will provide cash rewards of any kind...
    This poll and post count offer extend to 11:59 pm., EST, January 31st, 2010.

Don't forget to post, along with your vote!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Staff Member Super Mod

We got a PS3 to play games and started picking up some Blu-ray discs to go with it. I guess we kind of backed into the Blu-ray. I'm not quite ready to completely jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon as the kids like to watch DVDs in the truck.

Now to sit back and snipe for the bonus posts. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  3. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I've had a first-generation PS3 for just over a year now. Except for a few dearly-loved titles that I've been upgrading to Blu, most of my DVD collection is still intact and I expect it to stay that way, as the PS3 does an excellent job of upconversion.

4. spartanmanor

spartanmanor AK Subscriber Subscriber

Option 3. I don't have one but will someday I am sure.

5. carbonman

carbonman It's All About The Music

No HDTV Means No BluRay

I'll consider getting a BluRay player when we buy a new TV in 2011, which is when Canada is switching to HDTV. We use an analogue CRT TV right now and have other things to spend our money on.
    I'd rather watch TV the cheapest way possible, especially considering how little programming we like these days. We go to the theatre when we want a movie fix, though we own a few DVDs.
    There is no way we can put surround sound in the living room - no room to change furniture placement, add speakers or amplification. Keeping all those channels at the same quality as what we have would bankrupt me. Besides, when a bass transient comes through the stereo speakers, you forget about anything else around you!

6. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I waited until after the format wars were over and the prices came down to semi-reasonable. Love it. The PQ, even on my 720p plasma, is head and shoulders above DVD (upscaled or not) with true HD Blu-ray discs.

7. turbomustang

turbomustang Well-Known Member

before I buy a player I want a burner (Blu-Ray) for our pc .I do more video recording than just watching so that is where my needs are .later I will get a set top type player to watch my creations in other rooms.

8. HandyHamlet

HandyHamlet dissatisfied customer

Do all Blueray movies look like Tarantino's latest? If so I'll pass.

9. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I suppose it depends on what you're recording, but the BD blank discs are still about $10-$12 each, aren't they?

10. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Do all DVD movies look the same?

I don't know specifically of what you're speaking, but there seems to be more movies around with what I'll call special effects picture quality. 300 is a good example of what I'm talking about.

If you want to find a good example of the capabilities of Blu-ray, try to get a watch of the HD version of Planet Earth.

11. AAA3330

AAA3330 Super Member

I watch all of my TV through my computer, so bought a blu-ray drive for it. My TV is 1080p. I rarely ever use the blu-ray player. I record most of my tv to my "hard drive" and watch a lot of older shows streamed from Hulu.com. I really thought that I would use the blu-ray more.

12. JonL

JonL Lunatic Member

I don't own one nor do I intend to buy one this year, though I might if the right unit/deal/bugupmyass shows up.

I watch very few videos. Those I do watch look really good on my upscaling Sony DVD player (HDMI to a so-so 32" LCD). I'd rather put the money into something audio or guitar related.

Is it 5000 yet?

Edit: I checked option 3. Though I don't intend to buy one this year, if the format sticks around I'm likely to get one someday.

13. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

I'll probably get one when I replace our old rear-projection TV.

14. shelby1420

shelby1420 Enjoying the music.....

Never thought I would buy one, waste of money says I....no way you can see the difference says I................dumb ass is what I called myself for not getting one sooner!!!! Brighter, cleaner, crisper, more vivid, blacks are pure and crisp with the Plasma TV now, sound is 3-4 times the information being projected through my surround sound system ( same one I had before the Blue Ray.......) Gotta love Blue Ray!!!

15. outlawmws

outlawmws On the Run

I don't own one, and I'm not likely to buy one anytime soon. I've heard too many times that a particular medium is going to be "the" medium (Beta max, laser disk, mini disc…), so until it becomes the defacto standard, I'm on the fence.

:lurk:

16. subwoofwoof

subwoofwoof Super Member

Technology changes far to quickly. I don't own a Blu-ray player. Just don't have the money to invest in one since my current DVD player works just fine. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

17. TOO LOUD???

TOO LOUD??? Well-Known Member

I'll get one someday I don't have a TV to support it's capabilities and I'm not buying one til I have too so I'll get a Blu-Ray at the same time.

18. Jovinyl

Jovinyl Super Member

No blue ray here. No plans to purchase a blue ray. Have not really read about blue ray to know what blue ray is all about and I don't really care. Still getting used to DVD. can't stand wide screen, I still have VHS check out thrifts for full screen movies on VHS and now for fullscreen Dvd's. Does having blue ray mean I have to buy a new TV to recieve a blue ray disc signal after I bought a blue ray player and have to pay top dollar for a blue ray disc? I was"nt too happy with cable Tv let alone having to change over to digital. I was called an idiot for being hung up on records and not jumping on the never gonna scratch fantastic sounding CD bandwagon. I no longer buy new CD's shop those at the thrifts too. ( I will make an exception as I just got a dozen. The artist is an old friend) :scratch2: Rabbit ears and three channels was fine with me :D I feel better now. :D Let me go put a record on. :D :music:

19. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

I'm waitin' 'til they start showin' up the the thrifts! :D

20. finnbow

finnbow The Dude Abides

I don't have one and I'm still unconvinced that the format will survive. Streaming/downloads seem to be the future. If it does survive, however, I'll probably pick one up. No rush though.