Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

• I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

Votes: 220 45.2%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

Votes: 141 29.0%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

Votes: 97 19.9%
  • Something else. Please tell us.

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a panasonic dmr-bw850 that is pretty much greek to me. Well, the wife bought it, but she doesn't use it for much other than taking up space.

It does play nice, but the wife is the TV nut, and she is a panasonic customer which means there are four (or five) large panasonic remote controllers that all look the same, to me are all programmable to work with the other things, and it's all in Japanese.

Personally, I figure I am lucky if I can manage to turn the thing on. Just don't ask me to change the channel because there is a cable box, the blu-ray recorder box, the satellite dish box, and the TV monitor that also has a channel selector.

I'm a little behind you guy's on the tecnology front. I still use Video Tapes regulary, DVD's are as hi-tec as I go for video. Up untill 2 or 3 years ago I was using one of those LED Display Cell Phones that ran for perhaps 20 - 30 minutes on a full charage with a Bigger Battery than todays phones. The only reason I got rid of my Bell Rotory Dial Phone :tears: is because my only computer with it's Big, Heavy CRT monitor and a 3.5" floppy drive would'nt work with the Pulse Phone line.

Last edited:
I bought a PS3 years ago because the magazines said it was the best deal on the market at the time. I've been very happy with it. I've bought a couple of Samsung blu ray players since (one for my mother) and had trouble with both of them. I added an IR converter to the Playstation so I can control it with a universal remote instead of the game controller.

I have 2. A Sony PS3 and a Sony BDP-S350, neither get used that much for blu rays. However I'm cobbling together some speakers for my system downstairs for the 5.1.

I gave my LG away as an excuse to get a newer LG. The problem is now that I have video scaling in my HTR; I do nothing but watch Laserdiscs.

It's HD if the TV says 1080p, right? :p

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a small BluRay burner for backing my video projects. The first one I tried spanned 9 25GB discs. I think I need to figure out an export codec that takes up less space but still is close to the original in quality.

I just bought a small BluRay burner for backing my video projects. The first one I tried spanned 9 25GB discs. I think I need to figure out an export codec that takes up less space but still is close to the original in quality.

Been out of the game for a while, but can't you store the data alone and keep the video in a bin on the HD? I don't get from your post that you want playback, just storage. If you want playback I dunno.

I really don't see a difference between standard definition and Blu-Ray. It just seems completely useless to pay more for something that looks,feels,and sounds the same. I've seen both together at that the same time, and I couldn't tell a difference between the 2. I just couldn't. Hopefully someone out there (or on here) understands what I'm saying and agrees with me. But if your really in the need of getting one, that's fine. I'm not going to stop you.

I really don't see a difference between standard definition and Blu-Ray. It just seems completely useless to pay more for something that looks,feels,and sounds the same. I've seen both together at that the same time, and I couldn't tell a difference between the 2. I just couldn't. Hopefully someone out there (or on here) understands what I'm saying and agrees with me. But if your really in the need of getting one, that's fine. I'm not going to stop you.

I would have to ask, what were you watching it on and are you sure it was it hooked up properly? The difference is quite noticeable, particularly if you've been watching Bluray for a while and then switch back.

I like the convenience of carousel changers. I have a five-disc Sony DVD and a six-disc Onkyo DVD. I also don't have an HDTV, or even a progressive scan TV.

So, if I do buy a new TV, I still won't want Blu-Ray until they come out with inexpensive changers, regardless of picture quality. But my impression is that up sampled DVD looks good anyway.

The difference is significant. You know how much faster a Mopar is than any Oldsmobile ever made? That's how much better bluray is.

But seriously. The bluray picture is much better than DVD. That's not to say that there are blu ray titles that have sucky material recorded on them. Can you give an example of what movie you have seen on both DVD and blu ray that you can honestly say, " There's no difference."

And what are you watching on? Best Buy display? Friend's house? From under the troll bridge?

I watch DVD 's up scaled to 1080p on a PS3 /HDMI to TV . On the other set I use PC/ HD video card /upscale DVD to 1080p/HDMI to TV both look good If nothing else a decent up scaling BD player is worth it for that alone if not using a PC w/ HDMI port !
I retired my 480p composite DVD spinners because up scaled DVD looked so much better.

OTOH Blue Ray 1080p / PS3 into the big plasma is excellent . A good Blue Ray is way better than even up scaled DVD . A lot more picture info on BD. Tried the BD/ PS3 combo on the other set big difference also.Will probably put a BD drive in the computer now .

I have OTA + Dish HD + Netflix HD + DVD + BR no contest BD is best .

I can only guess that if BD and DVD don't look any different on HDTV maybe something is wrong somewhere ?

Saw Star Trek 2013 in digital 3D iMax
Awesome ! Blue ray set is avail. for pre order now I ordered from Amazon for del. in Sept.

Anyway BD has my vote!

Last edited:
I like the convenience of carousel changers. I have a five-disc Sony DVD and a six-disc Onkyo DVD. I also don't have an HDTV, or even a progressive scan TV.

So, if I do buy a new TV, I still won't want Blu-Ray until they come out with inexpensive changers, regardless of picture quality. But my impression is that up sampled DVD looks good anyway.

For your sake I hope I am wrong, but I doubt you will ever see one of those 300 Disc carousels for blu ray.

What you will see is the end of discs altogether as the industry moves to server based distribution. So pretty soon you will be able to upload all those DVD to a sky drive or a home server and keep them as curiosities.

For your sake I hope I am wrong, but I doubt you will ever see one of those 300 Disc carousels for blu ray.

What you will see is the end of discs altogether as the industry moves to server based distribution. So pretty soon you will be able to upload all those DVD to a sky drive or a home server and keep them as curiosities.

Good point, but this assumes that one would have a fast internet connection that is also reliable. For those in urban areas and lots of internet access choices, not too much of a problem if you have a fast connection. For those with DSL only (and still many with dial-up only too) or very costly Highest speed access, the download times could be very substantial.

One potential peeve would be when all the internet providers for home decide that the networks get so congested with heavy downloading, they'd then start throttling your speeds or have bandwidth limitations and then charge you extra for for the extra bandwidth. Don't think it could happen? Most of the internet providers have the Cellular / Wireless sections too and when they control the spigots, IMHO, its only a matter of time before they move to a nickel and dime fee based system, like the airlines.

There is no free lunch. If distribution on content occurs online, someone is going to charge for that access and eventually the download.

mech986,

Good points for sure the data pipeline masters will get their due no doubt of that !
I don't think we will be seeing streaming BD or practical cloud storage of BD anytime soon .Netflix 750p streams or vbr are the norm here no 1080P with NFX in ATT for sure . Can do with with You tube and some other stuff though I don't know what PBS is streaming at but some of their video comes in real decent HD looks they aren't skimping on the bit rate either.

I can't imagine streaming blu ray
and not getting stuck up for lots of extra money from isp .
BD is waaaay more data ! I've my goot all my DVD's on metal and using WMC , takes a lot of metal to store Blue Ray bit perfect . Never ripped a BD because of that .
I only have few way mostly Red Box BD's here . Got Star trek into Darkness
BD finally though got the combo set and put the DVD on metal .

Last edited:
Just bought a 3D BluRay player after buying a 3D TV (all decent TVs seem to be also 3D these days).

It remains to be seen whether this will turn me into a movie watcher or just end up as idle as my old DVD player after the novelty of 3D TV wears off.

Steve

The difference between "upconverted" DVD and Blu-Ray is night and day as is the audio in most cases when viewed with a quality 1080P TV thru at least a decent HT audio setup.

Having over 200 DVDs and a Panasonic DVD recorder/player that is connected to an HDTV via an HDMI link there really is no need for Blu-Ray. The Panasonic in playback mode up-converts to 1080i so we effectively get an HDTV picture.

3D technology is far from being convenient for everyday home usage and in it's current state is a fad for home use. Movie theater is a different story.

3D is FAR from a fad, and not going anywhere. Fads don't last as long as 3D currently has, and the number of 3D releases is increasing year over year. Also, sales of combo packs that include 3D are also increasing in sales quarter after quarter.

3D is slowly but steadily gaining support, and the sales figures proves this.

4K is gaining support as the panel fabs increasingly gear up for it although the content is a problem still and OTA broadcast is not likely however Netflix is developing a 4K
stream possible for next year for subscribers with adequate bandwidth .

Netflix Super HD ( high bit rate 1080p ) as opposed to their regular lower bit rate 1080p is pretty good closer to Blue ray it takes an 7 Mbps connection we just started getting Netflix super HD recently on ATT when Netflix opened the connection to most ISP's other than the few that were previously on Netflix open connect.

Here are the Netflix recommended bandwidth speeds .
0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
7.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for Super HD quality
12 Megabits per second - Recommended for 3D quality
https://support.netflix.com/en/node/306
Digital 3D IMAX in theaters is pretty good . 3D on TV 's not so good of both TV types I prefer passive 3D but truthfully I can do without 3D at home all together with the current state of technology .

People are buying 3D sets only because some the better models include or they don't know any better, a decent 2D panel is usually just as good if you don't specifically want 3D few are playing 3D content .

The TV makers were pushing 3 D as the next big thing
but failing that 4K will be their next push on premium sets most of the major panel fabs are starting to invest in it and more 4K sets are coming out at lower price points .Up scaled 1080p may benefit some on a good panel .

AFAIK you need a ~ 65 inch screen to really benefit at normal viewing distances .

4K is pushing what human eye can see on TV other than very close up viewing.
I'm satisfied with 2 D blue ray for for now while decently up scaled DVD isn't bad Blue ray is much better .

At IFA — the big, mid-year consumer electronics event in Berlin — it was clear that 3D TV was on its way out. Today, at CES 2013, 3D TV is dead.

Sure, there’s still some 3D tech on display at CES if you look for it, but the emphasis has now shifted to high-resolution 4K displays, OLED, image quality, and “smart” functionality read more: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/145168-3d-tv-is-dead

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom