Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by luvvinvinyl, Dec 30, 2009.

?

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2010.
  1. I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

220 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

22 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

141 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

97 vote(s)
    19.9%
  5. Something else. Please tell us.

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. trhee

trhee ㅇtㅈyㅅr

3D technology is far from being convenient for everyday home usage and in it's current state is a fad for home use. Movie theater is a different story.

2. frankxbe

frankxbe Super Member

4K is gaining support as the panel fabs increasingly gear up for it although the content is a problem still and OTA broadcast is not likely however Netflix is developing a 4K
    stream possible for next year for subscribers with adequate bandwidth .

Netflix Super HD ( high bit rate 1080p ) as opposed to their regular lower bit rate 1080p is pretty good closer to Blue ray it takes an 7 Mbps connection we just started getting Netflix super HD recently on ATT when Netflix opened the connection to most ISP's other than the few that were previously on Netflix open connect.

Digital 3D IMAX in theaters is pretty good . 3D on TV 's not so good of both TV types I prefer passive 3D but truthfully I can do without 3D at home all together with the current state of technology .

People are buying 3D sets only because some the better models include or they don't know any better, a decent 2D panel is usually just as good if you don't specifically want 3D few are playing 3D content .

The TV makers were pushing 3 D as the next big thing
    but failing that 4K will be their next push on premium sets most of the major panel fabs are starting to invest in it and more 4K sets are coming out at lower price points .Up scaled 1080p may benefit some on a good panel .

AFAIK you need a ~ 65 inch screen to really benefit at normal viewing distances .

4K is pushing what human eye can see on TV other than very close up viewing.
    I'm satisfied with 2 D blue ray for for now while decently up scaled DVD isn't bad Blue ray is much better .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. dawgkeeper51

dawgkeeper51 Active Member

I have a OPPO BDP 103. Owned for about 5-6 months. From my experience is super all around. Still digging in to all the extras.
    Ron

4. 30hz MAGIC

30hz MAGIC Creator of earthquakes!

PS3 ftw. Even if you don't game... Blu-Ray!

5. standuffer

standuffer Home of R&R

no BlueRay
    no HDTV... but thinking about it
    no Xbox or PS-whatever
    no NetFlix
    no Tablet
    no SmartPhone or cell phone for that matter

I might be stuck back at the turn of the century

:lurk:

beat_truck likes this.
  6. frankxbe

frankxbe Super Member

I grew up with newspapers ,print magazines ,radio , B/W TV and rotary dial phones we got by fine . It's information overload these days :(

GUNN likes this.
  7. LAB3

LAB3 AK Member

I too grew up in the 50's and I can do without a cell phone ( wife has one she still works) I am retired now. But HD TV is must LOL over the years I have tried cable, Direct TV etc I am with DISH now for HD TV their "Hooper" DVR has 2000 hours of memory for storing movies etc and it has killer DD 5.1 audio with 1080I video and Sirius HD radio. I had Verizon FIOS for HD TV it too has Great audio and video but it was too expensive and the DISH "Hooper" is a much better DVR. I have a Sony PS3 (Play Station 3) I use for a CD music player, Bluray or DVD movie disc player as it will stream movies from Netflix etc and has Windows Media so I can view Youtube etc on my 55" flat screen.My Grand Kids play video games on it.....me too now. The PS3 has a lot more features for dialing in color setting and audio setting then most Bluray players and now that the PS4 is out the older PS3 have dropped in price big time( I purchased mine used). Rent a movie at Red Box at the 7/11 near our home for a $1.50 or so and watch a new movie. The price for going to a movie theater is really expensive for two with drinks etc $30.00 or so for one movie and fight traffic etc:thumbsdn:........ HD TV from DISH and PS3 works for me with my HD AVR and 5.2 HT speaker system.

8. frankxbe

frankxbe Super Member

Again growing up it was B/W TV (later color) 4-6 local channels ,Radio ,Vynil and rotary dial phones .

Now it's 4 PC's ,5 1080p TV's, Dish,IPTV, Roku ,Amazon prime,Netflix ,PS3, NAS server + LAN, Dish TV , OTA TV , Broadband , Shortwave , VHF, smartphones 5.1 AVR + speakers on main TV , dedicated studio + Workstation for music and ~ $250.00 a month for all the TV ,phone IPTV and ISP services. PS3 and PC BD ODD are the blu ray players here. Lot's of stuff to try to keep from getting bored in retirement :(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Yvan_donald

Yvan_donald Well-Known Member

Hi,I own a Yamaha BDS-2900 (Japan made),2 years ago bought it on ebay was like in new conditio,n original box,pay $400.Very happy before I have Panasonic,very good quality,sound great and use it in my HI-Fi stereo,at the price I paid,it satisfy me.For my daughter I find another use one pay $150.00,right away she saw a big difference with a previous DVD.

10. stevoz

stevoz Active Member

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD region free multi-disc player(Au$1300). Musically superb and great for Blurays/Home Theatre. It's ability to extract info from any disc is astounding! Very happy.

11. Roving Sign

Roving Sign Active Member

Wow - what a weird thread...

12. standuffer

standuffer Home of R&R

Update...
    HDTV - Samsung plasma 60" 8500
    BluRay - Samsung BD-F7500
    but still...
    no Xbox or PS-whatever
    no NetFlix but, I do have Amazon Prime (free shipping)
    no Tablet
    no SmartPhone or cell phone for that matter

:crazy:

13. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. RJolly87

RJolly87 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Guess I'll weigh in on this thread that seems to have evolved over the years.

I have a 1080p 50" Samsung LCD I just picked up second hand (replaced a 40").

I also have PS3, XBOne, and PC running through an HDMI A/V receiver.

4k sounds cool and everything, but I don't have the screen size to justify it, and I have no intention of sitting a foot away from my TV either. Not even counting nothing I have can drive/carry it. You all go on ahead with the 4k though, because that means that everyone is dumping all of their really good 1080p stuff really cheaply, and that works for me!

I still plan to continue expansion of my BluRay collection, because compression is annoying, and still a major issue with 4k content currently being delivered.

15. lightcapture

lightcapture Active Member

Bought my first BDP last week, Yamaha bds677. It's audio quality is outstanding w/ sacds. Have watch bluray yet.

16. kenwood61

kenwood61 Vintage HiFi Nut Subscriber

Sony Playstation PS3 for me. Great Blu-Ray player with hard drive, and we get Netflix through it. Our Toshiba Regza tv isn't "smart" so for us, the PS3 is the only way to get Netflix. I also sometimes like a little FIFA soccer. I just replaced a PS3 that lasted years and had one BR laser replacement. The new PS3 was $219 brand new. Can't beat the quality and versatility at that price.

17. Njoy-Music

Njoy-Music Old Time Rock & Roll Subscriber

I have a Pioneer BDP-80FD I got on an open box special with a Vizio 58" 4k I got on a black friday sale. They work very well together and the Pioneer plays SACD and & DVD-Audio discs and sounds wonderful doing so.

18. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

What's everyone going to do when the new 4K uhd Blu-ray format becomes the latest disc format this summer or fall?

19. cr4zyg047

cr4zyg047 New Member

I will continue to buy 1080p copies until they realize that they should be selling UHD copies with normal BD copies added in, much like normal BD ships with DVD

20. standuffer

standuffer Home of R&R

When this HDTV breaks I'll get a 4K and a uhd disk player and wait for my libraries to get 4k disks.