1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by luvvinvinyl, Dec 30, 2009.

?

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2010.
  1. I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

220 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

22 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

141 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

97 vote(s)
    19.9%
  5. Something else. Please tell us.

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

I had one for many years, because I bought a ps3 at launch. I've never played a single blu-ray movie on it since. I do own over 100 titles on DVD though. I didn't buy a 1080p TV until 2012, bought another 2013. Was perfectly happy with two 720p TVs from 2002-1012, only got rid of them because I was moving cross country, I think my parents still have one of them, a Sony rear projection LCD, the internet used to hate on the model claiming the bulbs needed changing every 200 hours of use. Far as I know my parents are still using it without ever changing the bulb.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillJGW

BillJGW Active Member

Bought my first BRP about 7 years ago, just sold it as I upgraded recently to an Oppo 105 with a region-free mod. The Oppo definitely loads faster and has much higher picture quality than my old BRP. DVD picture quality is also better, must have better upsampling capability.

3. Funky54

Funky54 Well-Known Member

I sold my Oppo Bdp 105 about 6 months ago and now I have a Sony x800 Ultra 4k HDR player. I sold my Emotiva and Outlaw gear (except one Outlaw amp) I replaced them with a Marantz SR6011 for Atmos and HDR. I recently added the four in-ceiling speakers to my 5.1 system for an Atmos 5.1.4. I use the Marantz as a preamp and use four of its powered channels to power the in-ceiling height channels.

I wasn't impressed when people jumped on the wagon to go from 5.1 to 7 or 9 or 11.1 surrounds. I was bored and unimpressed with 4k TV's. I really wasn't that impressed with truehd sound either… but when Atmos hit, WOW. Immersion speakers really do up the quality and movie experience by a lot!

4k didn't do much for me, but HDR, WOW. biggest jumps in Home Theater since surround speakers.

4. yrly

yrly Breaking records is good?

Just upgraded to a 4K UHD player. Waited a tad longer for this than I did for HD DVD and Blu-ray but to be fair I got clearance players at almost the outset for those.

5. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

My TV is still 1080p so I'm still very happy with the bluray in the xbox or the stand alone one I got for like $40 from Samsung. My projector is an old Panasonic and only gets to 720p (waiting for the bulb to go pop...STILL).

I'm happily watching the standards churn and once I am ready, I'll probably pick up last year's new toy for a fraction of this year's now toy. Although I do have to admit that those new paper thin TV monitors that come with the electronics in a box you hide in the wall or in a cabinet are very tempting.

6. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

With 4K/UHD television and player prices dropping, I wonder how soon they will eclipse Blu-Ray sales. And, then, what comes after that?

But, truth be told, with the screen size and viewing distance taken into consideration, I honestly wonder how much of an improvement it is. I'm still trying to decide for myself but, in my case*, it certainly isn't night and day.

* 55" from 8 - 10' away. No HDR though. ...next TV.

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I'll probably upgrade to 4K about when 8K comes along. Sorta what I did when I upgraded from 720p to 1080p about the time 4K was starting to roll.

But, then again, the viewing distance comes into play. I don't envision going much, if any, beyond 60-65" in the current digs (and no plans to move any time soon). And viewing distance is ~10ft.

Better screen technology instead of simply higher resolution may be where Iook next time around.

8. Gold Ant

Gold Ant New Member

I have a blue ray play picked a yamaha one up for $30 without a remote from my local cash converters pawnbroker and it works perfectly and my harmony 650 remote found the program for the remote no problem those remotes are very useful for buying used gear without remotes can solve alot of problems.... I also installed a blue ray player in my computer and rip the dvd's to my hard drive in mkv format to watch on Jriver media centre 23 -the picture quality is fantastic with that program I upgraded to a 4k tv when my samsung carked it a few months ago I did some research and I bought a Hisense uhd model and the picture quality is fantastic -Thoroughly recommend the brand to anyone looking for a great tv on a budget

9. nhvfxs

nhvfxs New Member

Sony bdp-s350
    $15

10. danj

danj modern primitive

I own two - a very good Panasonic model and a cheapo Sanyo. I stream most of the movies I watch these days, though.

11. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

12. Mike Grant

Mike Grant New Member

Have one that used to connect to the internet for streaming video. Now I use Chromecast.

13. 3db

3db Active Member

I own a 4K and a BluRay player as I have a bit of a collection that I play .

14. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

I have a blu-ray collection now since they've started showing up at goodwill, and a decent collection of hd-dvd as well for the same reason. Still using ps3 and xbox360 as players, although their days are probably numbered.