Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

• I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

Votes: 220 45.2%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

Votes: 141 29.0%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

Votes: 97 19.9%
  • Something else. Please tell us.

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It looks like features are still being added, so I'll wait and see when things shake out.
If more audiophile audio titles start to become available, I'd probably bite sooner.

2 Blu-Ray players (cheap models, work fine)
2 HDTV's
1 HDDVD Player (still pissed that the format lost out)

I only own a handful of DVD or BD movies, just enough to have a small selection on hand to demo the system or whatever. For general viewing I rent them.

presently I see no reason to own one.

High Definition TV's to me are like CD's when they first came out except for being louder the high def TV's are twice as bright. IN a store you can see your shadow on the floor, in a club they wash out all of the stage lighting.

Check the settings on High Def TV's and you will see they come from the factory with every setting maxed out.

If I want Hi defination TV I'll just put my glasss on :)
I will eventually get a projector LCD TV but I'm in no hury for that either.
I prefer audio, that way I can get something done.

I still cannot make up my mind if I want to go BR or not.

presently I see no reason to own one.

High Definition TV's to me are like CD's when they first came out except for being louder the high def TV's are twice as bright. IN a store you can see your shadow on the floor, in a club they wash out all of the stage lighting.

Check the settings on High Def TV's and you will see they come from the factory with every setting maxed out.

If I want Hi defination TV I'll just put my glasss on :)
I will eventually get a projector LCD TV but I'm in no hury for that either.
I prefer audio, that way I can get something done.

That's easy - adjust the settings to a more reasonable level. Then you get greatly improved resolution without burning your retinas into ash.

I actually think the older films benefit most from Blu ray, Wizard of Oz & GWTW are two great examples.

B&W also looks really sharp in High Def, even films from the silent era look much better provided they have been restored and transferred properly.

The sound on BD is also noticeably better than DVD.

No doubt something will come along to replace BD at some point but whatever it is it'll be higher definition than 480p.

Blu-ray players are backwards compatible with DVD and are below the $100 mark in some cases so why not upgrade?

We are still running a Philips Magnavox 34" CRT TV with TIVO and VCR/DVD on Cable.

I see no reason to bother with Blue Ray until what time we get a Flat Screen HD TV.

And since I'm not into counting zits on actors I don't feel a big urge to upgrade the TV yet.

I mentioned earlier that I have a blu-ray drive, but rarely use it. I would think that one would be worthwhile for people who watch a lot of recent movies. Where dvd is only capable of 480p, even someone with a 720p tv would see a vast improvement in picture quality with blu-ray. I have a 1080p setup. While I notice much improvement from 480p to 720p, I just don't see that much improvement from 720p to 1080p. I wish that I could say that I could see the difference and have really tried to, but really can't for whatever reason. Unless you rent, the discs are still very expensive. I have more over the air programming than I have time to watch, and much is in 720p. It is nice to pop a blu-ray in once in a while and will probably use it more when the cost of the discs come down and more content is available.

Some movies are on the second remaster, and these are doing away with the mistakes of the first generation. Full Metal Jacket and The Fifth Element are two examples. I've seen what I believe are the first masters of both and they looked excellent, I can't imagine how they could get better. However, once I see them, I'm sure I will be blown away again.

These days I end up going for the Blu-ray first and if I have to, I'll slum with the DVD. There really is a huge difference to me. I don't buy many though, so I am usually constrained to the rental shelf, luckily a local shop here has around 6-700 for rent, and more out each week.

I just bought a Blu ray player, and pick up a few BD discs here and there. Wal Mart had The Fifth Element on BD for $10, so I snagged it. It looks great, but I think some of the recent releases are probably higher quality, especially the sound. To me, $10 isn't a lot to pay for a BD. I paid $19 for Terminator Salvation director's cut on BD (not at Wal Mart, at a local store), but Wal Mart had several BDs in the bargain bin for $10 ea.

The other thing is, this Blu ray player (Oppo BDP-83SE) really does a great job upscaling DVDs. I was extremely impressed with the picture quality of plain old DVDs played over this rig.

jsixis said:

Check the settings on High Def TV's and you will see they come from the factory with every setting maxed out

Sounds like you're mainly describing LCDs. Plasmas, to me, have a much less "in your face" presentation and mine at least looks simply astonishing without everything maxed out (and I don't need to wear shades when I watch it). I can see where in a club the light could be annoying, all flavors of HDTVs have quite a lot more surface area producing light than their CRT counterparts. I went from a 27" CRT to a 50" plasma, so quite a lot more surface area, but it doesn't burn my retinas watching TV.

I don't want to start a LCD vs Plasma war, but my picture bears little resemblance to the walls of stuff at Best Buy...and while Best Buy et al do have a few plasmas, the majority of the TVs on display are LCDs.

I'm very pleased with my Blu ray player, but it's just a player until it's hooked up to a display. I'm nothing short of awestruck with the complete player/display package...especially on BDs, but even on good ol' DVDs.

got a refurbed samsung bdp1400 back in sept '08. pretty good unit.

in that 16 months, i've played maybe 35 movies/concerts on it, one did not load and play, iirc-'a clear and present danger'. and one or two others had skips in the middle.
edit-i find cleaning/washing the discs before playing can make a huge difference as to playability. definitely helps!

i also have an onkyo hd-805 hd dvd player with reon processor for hd dvds and dvds-so maybe i watched another 20 or so movies/concerts on that player in the same 16 months.

more edit-i have about 1500 dvds and about 20 blu rays. but i rent both from netflix-~25 bds/dvd per month on the 3 at a time plan with blu ray option=$22.25/month with tax. so, what-about $.90 each to rent. that's dirt cheap!

Last edited:
I mostly rent movies from Redbox, and they don't have BR titles (at least not in my area).

So the question would be, "Why would I need a BR player"? :scratch2:

I'm in the market for one. I have a 1080p front projector w/screen and a 720p projector in the wings for another setup when I move to a bigger place. Can't wait to see what this projector can actually do, as it seems that Comcast HD cable is still 720.

I have a low end dvd player and have thought about upgrading to a player with S video or hdmi so will probably go to a Blu-ray at the same time though Jr thinks it may be better to get one the game machines with Blu-ray built in.

I mostly rent movies from Redbox, and they don't have BR titles (at least not in my area).

So the question would be, "Why would I need a BR player"? :scratch2:

BD players upscale regular dvds to near HD quality. If you don't have an HD tv, no need for a BD player.

I'll buy a Blu-ray when my stock of Sony Trinitrons bite the dust. I will upgrade to a flat screen tv and a new DVD player...but for now I'm hanging tough and staying away from jumping on the band wagon. Around here used 27-36" Trinitrons can be had for about $50 so It'll be awhile.

I have a modest collection of DVD movies, (~30 or so), and a standard DVD player.

Even though Blu-Ray won the battle, I have no intention of replacing all of my existing DVDs with new, more expensive BR discs.

While I will (probably) buy BR if I buy any new movies, I will wait until that time to buy a new player, and hopefully prices will continue to fall.

I'm on my second BD player and I also have a HD player. I now use a Sony N460 that streams Netflix. Works very well and it's clear to me that physical media is going to have a relatively short life.

I currently have two HDTV's both capable of 1080P. I purchased my first HDTV in the fall of 2001 and am quite happy that I no longer have to watch most shows in the inferior 480i 4x3 format.

BD players upscale regular dvds to near HD quality.

Man, do I disagree with that assertion. Sometimes upscaling in the player makes SD DVD look a little better and sometimes it doesn't. And IMO&E it never makes SD DVD look "near HD". Pretty damned good yeah, "near HD" no.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom