Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

• I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

Votes: 220 45.2%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

Votes: 141 29.0%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

Votes: 97 19.9%
  • Something else. Please tell us.

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty damned good yeah, "near HD" no.
sure it does. 'near hd' is not hd, it's still sd. but it (edit-can be) 'near'.
also, much depends the display, distance one sits from display, connections, viewers eyes, a host of other variables.
two different things, there.

Last edited:
Blu Ray

From what I have read it cost the studios not much more to produce a Blu Ray dvd over a standard one, yet the charge significantly more for the Blu Ray dvd's. I would assume that once the price drops on Blu Ray disks you will see a lot more players sold for Blu Ray.

Dave

From what I have read it cost the studios not much more to produce a Blu Ray dvd over a standard one, yet the charge significantly more for the Blu Ray dvd's.

Dave

I would guess that's true, at least for the actual pressing of the disc however most BD's have a lot of extra material, I think it's Wizard of Oz that has something like 24 hours of extra material on the disc, though that disc is available in several levels of pricing and extras.

Then there's the issue of restoring some of the films to decent enough shape to present in HD.

For now, I went with a Philips Up-Convert DVD player for my 37" Visio Full HD 1080P LCD. The pic looks good to me using the HDMI cable but I find I use my older Pioneer Elite 5 Disc DVD/CDP more, even though max res is only 525p.
Someday I'll get a Blue Ray player.

I agree. I recently purchased an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, and it is a much nicer DVD player than the Pioneer player I was using. Analog output on CDs sounds fantastic on it as well. :thmbsp:

I played a CD in my player for the first time yesterday, and I was stunned. It did sound noticeably better. I wouldn't miss it, but a free BD player I'll take anytime.

I don't have one, and don't really feel like I need one, but I'll probably end up with one someday simply because I'm assuming the market will go that way. When I do, I'll try to make sure I can use it to listen to Pandora, since I'm more into music than movies anyway.

Man, do I disagree with that assertion. Sometimes upscaling in the player makes SD DVD look a little better and sometimes it doesn't. And IMO&E it never makes SD DVD look "near HD". Pretty damned good yeah, "near HD" no.

I think it depends on the movie also. Imo some BD's don't look as good as others. I've watched some upscaled dvd's that do look better than BD's that I have watched.

I do not own one and do not plan to get one one. I will continue to buy DVDs and/or go the streaming route with the Apple TV at some point.

I played a CD in my player for the first time yesterday, and I was stunned. It did sound noticeably better. I wouldn't miss it, but a free BD player I'll take anytime.

That was another reason I didn't mind springing for the Oppo. My old CD player was showing it's age, I didn't even own a DVD player, and with a new HDTV purchase I wanted to be at least able to watch Blu rays. The Oppo covered all those bases, and only took up a single spot in my limited equipment area.

And I really like it. :yes:

I jumped on the HD-DVD bandwagon. I bought a Toshiba for a great sale price, under $180, with 5 HD-DVD titles. I am sold on the hidef video format. Unfortunately, my side lost the format war. I am also pleased with the nice audio fidelity of the Toshiba. I would like a better player at some point and will probably pick up a Blu-Ray.

I got myself a PS3 for Christmas, mainly becasuse of all it does. Not yet seen a Blu-Ray on it, but hoping it lives up to what they crack it up to be - so far I hear it's a great BD player, if not exactly Oppo-grade. Games look great so far, even through component. My HD set (the 38" RCA tube) is too old for HDMI, so I hope to get a plasma Viera eventually to really bring out the PS3's potential.

I jumped on the HD-DVD bandwagon. I bought a Toshiba for a great sale price, under $180, with 5 HD-DVD titles. I am sold on the hidef video format. Unfortunately, my side lost the format war. I am also pleased with the nice audio fidelity of the Toshiba. I would like a better player at some point and will probably pick up a Blu-Ray.

I too got a Toshiba HD player - then a few months later the format goes belly-up. I still like the Toshiba, and had started to amass a collection of HD-DVDs.

My new TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so I'll have both the Toshiba HD-DVD and Oppo Blu Ray hooked up.

The Fifth Element looks incredible on Blu - can't believe I forgot I have that one.

Need to take a look at the shelf to see what else I forgot...

Green Lantern: First Flight (a quite well-done DC animated film) and The Road Warrior. I think that's it for the Blu shelf, for now.

When I bought my parents a Philips Blu-Ray player last year (cant' remember the model number, cost about $200 at Target - very nice picture quality), I got the BBC's Planet Earth for my dad. The visuals in that set are absolutely stunning.

I think the price of many Blu-rays is actually prettty reasonable. Many times you get both Blu-ray and DVD along with a digital copy for your computer. I don't know how much more value you can get for 20 bucks or so. :scratch2:

So, Blu-Ray/HD experts, what's your favorite "reference" disc - the one you use to show off the capabilities of HD video?

I think the price of many Blu-rays is actually prettty reasonable. Many times you get both Blu-ray and DVD along with a digital copy for your computer. I don't know how much more value you can get for 20 bucks or so. :scratch2:

I have the added bonus of living near a Sony outlet, and for a little while more, I think, they've got a buy-one/half-off deal on certain Blu-Rays. Small but decent selection.

Back
Top Bottom