Blue Slime on Power Cord Prongs?

ChefE

IMG_2242.JPG Hello AK.
Tonight I put together a different bedroom system just for the fun of it to play some Black Friday Record Store Day vinyl. I noticed on the JCPenny MCS Series VTR Component TV power cord, the base of the plugs prongs have a blue slime around them. I've never seen this regarding stereo equipment. I have seen it on a set of LED rope light connectors. What is this blue slime? Why is it there? Where does it come from? Is it harmful to the audio system or people? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That's grease--someone lubed them up at some point--looks just like the "waterproof" chain lube that I have used on my mountain bikes.

Funny,
My first thought was oxidation as well.
Close look at pic says grease.
I'm sort of curious why though.
I'd be inclined to just wipe off.

With the new child protective receptacles it's possible they greased the prongs for easier insertion, but I would expect grease on the whole blade not just the base. And if not flame retardant I wouldn't think grease at an electrical connection a good idea.

but I would expect grease on the whole blade not just the base

There probably was grease on the whole blade (at first), but plugging it into a receptacle just pushed the excess down to the base of the prongs. Just wipe it off, or if you want to get really "clean", use some solvent to remove the residue.

With the new child protective receptacles it's possible they greased the prongs for easier insertion, but I would expect grease on the whole blade not just the base. And if not flame retardant I wouldn't think grease at an electrical connection a good idea.

Ever Installed a big switchgear breaker? Grease at electric connections is pretty common... but in a residential receptacle... no.
Perhaps it is de-ox... the stuff we use in a copper/Aluminum splice (it inhibits galvanic reaction in two dissimilar metals)

Or maybe the last guy was having a hard time “ sticking it in “ ... he thought “lube”, that’s what I need.
:)

View attachment 1339213 Hello AK.
Tonight I put together a different bedroom system just for the fun of it to play some Black Friday Record Store Day vinyl. I noticed on the JCPenny MCS Series VTR Component TV power cord, the base of the plugs prongs have a blue slime around them. I've never seen this regarding stereo equipment. I have seen it on a set of LED rope light connectors. What is this blue slime? Why is it there? Where does it come from? Is it harmful to the audio system or people? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Its a sure sign of dirty power from the poco. You need a conditioner. Conditioner + shampoo works just as well

I see similar looking blue/green slime a lot at work on 35 year old wiring that comes from the plastic (usually soft pvc) insulation that is starting to chemically dissolve because of age. The slime is corrosive and attacks the copper.

Cheers,
James

edit: More info. PVC is PolyVinylChloride. Chloride (& chlorine) is generally an essential part of many corrosives, such as Ferric-Chloride, which is one of the most common acids used to etch copper and steel. As the old plastic chemically degrades it releases it's components as slime.

Last edited:
You all crack me up. The West Coast Slime was not on the plug when I got the item from a second hand store. I thoroughly cleaned the whole component and used Deoxit to clean the plug. The slime wasn't there.
The only other place I've ever seen this slime was on a rope light socket where the rope section screws into the power cord section. It's soft white and transparent plastic too. Not black. Guess it doesn't matter what color the plastic is. The slime color was the same. A funky blue with a faint green tint.

Bratwurst7- I think you nailed it. Thank you.

And if I'm gonna lube something it sure won't be a electrical plug for part of my stereo system. But it does give me an idea. Could be fun? I'll run it by with the miss.

--- I'm off like clothes on a hooker!

I licked the cotton swab that had a thick layer of slime that I used to wipe off the plug. I gave it a few more licks just to be sure. The blue (looks green) slime tastes like chicken pot pie. It was so good I ate the whole thing.
It might be a good skin lotion too. To bad I can't test it. I'll need to wait and harvest more slime off the plug once enough time passes for the plastic to degrade. After that...the party is on!
Just acquired some Rauna speakers and a pair of homemade cement cabinet speakers. Getting them in my home was like wresting extra large delicate parking blocks.

Back
Top Bottom