Bluetooth audio quality

pat2330b

80C020058
Hi,

was wondering if some of you as experiement the blue tooth device use with speakers or mp3 combine with marantz or else vintage?

anything recommended? or not?

Thx!

The ones I tried all where audible. As in distorted a bit, compressed (as in file size) and lacking "something". An 8 foot patch cord sounds better at matched volume. How much better? Phew. Pretty darn tiny really. Two recordings of the same song, using the same instruments and artists, compared to each other will have orders of magnitude higher "differences".
The ones I tried where all in the range of 20 bucks or so.

Do I use it? Yes. Background music, easy listening, people wanting to connect and play their music at parties (They understand bluetooth pairing, but not that 3.5 connects GND last...)

The new codec, APT-X? is supposedly better, as in that it does not alter the soundfile via compression, but I think I am missing some info here. I will try it out soon though.

edit: Aptx is a lossy compression as well. I am waiting for sound over ip / wifi.

From wiki:
aptX-HD (also known as aptX Lossless) supports high-definition audio up to 96 kHz sampling rates and sample resolutions up to 24 bits. The codec optionally permits a "hybrid" coding scheme for applications where average and/or peak compressed data rates must be capped at a constrained level. This involves the dynamic application of a form of "near lossless" coding – but only for those short sections of audio where completely lossless coding cannot respect the bandwidth constraints. Even for those short periods while the "near lossless" coding is active, high-definition audio quality is maintained, retaining audio frequencies up to 20 kHz and a dynamic range of at least 120 dB.

So in reality it should be pretty much transparent "enough".

My experiences with various aptX headphones has convinced me that excellent sound quality is possible but you need to have a source that transmits in aptX to a receiver that is equipped with aptX. You also have to be using music files that sound good to begin with.

Bluetooth sounds pretty bad no matter the source.
While I agree that Bluetooth is not ideal, there are exceptions:
I run Bluetooth from my computer to an Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver connected to a Cambridge Audio DAC before going to my amp. While perhaps not quite CD quality, the difference is so small (and the convenience so great) that I have removed the CD player from my system.
YMMV

Living now in a motorcoach I do a lot of listening using Apple TV, the web and a bluray player through my "smart" television as sources using various headphones via an aptx low latency transmitter and receiver. The sound is fine; excellent clarity and low distortion, I think it qualifies as high fidelity. If I'm bullshitting myself I'm OK with that.

Hi,

was wondering if some of you as experiement the blue tooth device use with speakers or mp3 combine with marantz or else vintage?

anything recommended? or not?

Thx!

Hey pat2330b,

I have used the Logitech:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...ffcode=pg199033&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

It's nice and has a good range as well. its on par with the RCA to 3.5mm headphone jack. I have not had mine hooked up in a good while due to swapping out amps, but now i feel inclined to set it up again. Ill do so this evening.

Kind Regards,
John

For any "critical" listening, it is always direct wire for me (and vinyl).

But most of my listening is anything but "critical". Bluetooth is AWESOME for that. It plays my 128k MP3's very well. And all the others, too. Room shaking bass when I want it, and all the highs I can hear. My hearing goes all the way up to 9.5khz. Dynamic range isn't an issue and, for background, compression can be an advantage anyway.

I have a Rocketfish plugged into the Luxman L450. Bluetooth from the computer in Wave format is terrible. Internet radio from my tablet is really really good. Go figure.

In my case bt convenience makes up for the far less than stellar sound quality. No it's not as good as fm or a cd but being able to playback audio from my phone and control it with a smartwatch is a pretty cool thing to do during times when fm programming is terrible and changing cd's isn't something I want to do. Bt is by far my worst sounding source in my main rig but it does have it's spot.........till something better comes along.

A well-implemented modern Bluetooth setup should never sound "bad", especially if it has AptX. Apt-X is capable of carrying greater than 320kbps.

Unfortunately, some people heard early implementations where cymbal crashes would break up and things just sounded off. Now they say all Bluetooth is bad and has no place in an audiophile setup. The reality is that if you're streaming Spotify, Pandora, XM, or your MP3 collection, you're not losing anything listening to Bluetooth. I have to wonder if those that claim it sounds terrible might be hearing confirmation bias. Or rather, it sounds bad because they believe its supposed to sound bad.

I don't use it for critical listening of Redbook and hi-res, but for anything less, it sounds exactly as it should and it's really frickin' convenient. I've used the Logitech BT receiver linked above, and liked it a lot. I recommend it frequently.

A well-implemented modern Bluetooth setup should never sound "bad", especially if it has AptX. Apt-X is capable of carrying greater than 320kbps.

Unfortunately, some people heard early implementations where cymbal crashes would break up and things just sounded off. Now they say all Bluetooth is bad and has no place in an audiophile setup. The reality is that if you're streaming Spotify, Pandora, XM, or your MP3 collection, you're not losing anything listening to Bluetooth. I have to wonder if those that claim it sounds terrible might be hearing confirmation bias. Or rather, it sounds bad because they believe its supposed to sound bad.

I don't use it for critical listening of Redbook and hi-res, but for anything less, it sounds exactly as it should and it's really frickin' convenient. I've used the Logitech BT receiver linked above, and liked it a lot. I recommend it frequently.
This is interesting. I use my LG-G4 phone in my car connected to the car stereo via bluetooth. When the car is stopped (i.e. I can hear the music clearly) it sounds fantastic.

This is interesting. I use my LG-G4 phone in my car connected to the car stereo via bluetooth. When the car is stopped (i.e. I can hear the music clearly) it sounds fantastic.

Yep, in an older car I had, the Bluetooth sounded awful. On my current car (2014 model), sound quality is excellent, with no degradation of sound whatsoever.

If a Bluetooth setup sounds bad, the person is using old technology.

Yep, in an older car I had, the Bluetooth sounded awful. On my current car (2014 model), sound quality is excellent, with no degradation of sound whatsoever.

If a Bluetooth setup sounds bad, the person is using old technology.
Would you consider a 1 year old Audioengine B1 "old technology"? This is what I use (my Logitech I don't even consider listenable) and my old tech ears tell me a far different story.

Back
Top Bottom