Bluetooth earbuds that allow ambient sounds in?

Lucky Pierre

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings,

I am working on managing severe intrusive tinnitus. My ears ring between 8-14 kHz, equivalent to 60-76 dB HL. I tried top of the line Widex hearing aids, which did not help. Those were exchanged for Signia units. I am giving the Signias another week or so, but if they offer no more relief than just having music on, they are going back too. I don't need what would end up being really, really expensive headphones.

I might be asking too much, but are there any bluetooth earbuds that are discreet and allow in most, if not all ambient sounds? There are a lot of situations in my personal and professional life where having music on at a low level where still hearing everything going on around me would be a huge relief.

I have never really used earbuds. I do have a pair of Grado SR80 that I use occasionally at home. They sound great and I can still hear outside sounds.

Thanks,

Peter

Greetings,

I am working on managing severe intrusive tinnitus. My ears ring between 8-14 kHz, equivalent to 60-76 dB HL. I tried top of the line Widex hearing aids, which did not help. Those were exchanged for Signia units. I am giving the Signias another week or so, but if they offer no more relief than just having music on, they are going back too. I don't need what would end up being really, really expensive headphones.

I might be asking too much, but are there any bluetooth earbuds that are discreet and allow in most, if not all ambient sounds? There are a lot of situations in my personal and professional life where having music on at a low level where still hearing everything going on around me would be a huge relief.

I have never really used earbuds. I do have a pair of Grado SR80 that I use occasionally at home. They sound great and I can still hear outside sounds.

Thanks,

Peter

I have no direct experience with them, but you may consider the Apple AirPods. They’re bluetooth, and appear to be constructed similarly to the wired EarPods from prior models - and if that’s the case, they’ll let plenty of ambient sounds in, especially at lower volume. That hard shell doesn’t seal really well in ears, since I don’t think they were ever intended to be isolating.

They seem to get good reviews both in build quality and sound quality.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom