1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Bluetooth earbuds that allow ambient sounds in?

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Lucky Pierre, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre AK Subscriber Subscriber

Greetings,

I am working on managing severe intrusive tinnitus. My ears ring between 8-14 kHz, equivalent to 60-76 dB HL. I tried top of the line Widex hearing aids, which did not help. Those were exchanged for Signia units. I am giving the Signias another week or so, but if they offer no more relief than just having music on, they are going back too. I don't need what would end up being really, really expensive headphones.

I might be asking too much, but are there any bluetooth earbuds that are discreet and allow in most, if not all ambient sounds? There are a lot of situations in my personal and professional life where having music on at a low level where still hearing everything going on around me would be a huge relief.

I have never really used earbuds. I do have a pair of Grado SR80 that I use occasionally at home. They sound great and I can still hear outside sounds.

Thanks,

Peter

Please register to disable this ad.

2. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have no direct experience with them, but you may consider the Apple AirPods. They’re bluetooth, and appear to be constructed similarly to the wired EarPods from prior models - and if that’s the case, they’ll let plenty of ambient sounds in, especially at lower volume. That hard shell doesn’t seal really well in ears, since I don’t think they were ever intended to be isolating.

They seem to get good reviews both in build quality and sound quality.

Just a thought. Good luck!