bluetooth or other wireless speaker recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by daturbosix, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM.

1. daturbosix

daturbosix AK Subscriber Subscriber

the fatherinlaw is getting rid of his bookshelf system in his living room and wants something modern that he can stream media to via bluetooth or other wireless means.

i dont even know what to tell him to look into. anyone of you guys have experience with this sort of thing?

2. cgutz

cgutz AK Member

I have never heard a set of actual bluetooth speakers that sound better than a basic but quality system with a bluetooth receiver plugged into the AUX in port, which is what I do.
    My son has a new Yamaha integrated amplifier with bluetooth, Spotify, etc. built in. Sounds really good, but it wasn't cheap.

Then again, I've never tired a really high end set of bluetooth speakers, do they exist? I have a set of AR bluetooth indoor/outdoor speakers on my porch. True stereo, 4 inch driver and tweater. Sound is only adequate...

3. KeninDC

KeninDC Nanker Phelge Subscriber

I have kids and have purchased and listened to many bluetooth speakers.

Audioengine makes good (sound and looks) stuff. Not super-expensive, but not cheap. My local audiophile store carries Audioengine. Easy to use and accurate, pleasing sound.

For cheaper (but not junk) and portable, I'm a fan of the JBL series and have 3 of 'em. The Flip 3 is as small as you should go. Surprisingly decent sound w/o distortion. The EQ is a bit like a vintage "loudness" button to compensate for the size.

4. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Active Member

I hate to bring it up, because i know it causes controversy here...But i have the Bose Soundlink 3. Yea, it's expensive, and no deals are to be had on it. But, most everybody i know has some kind of bluetooth speaker, and i haven't been impressed by any of them 'sound wise'.
    To me the Soundlink clearly sounds better, it can go from a whisper to pretty loud, with sufficient bass.

If i was getting rid of my entire system and going down to 1 thing, i would want that 1 thing to be awesome.
    Plus, anything labeled 'Bose' has potential resale value, whether we like to admit it or not.

What you really need to do is go to Best Buy with your device, and try them all....decide for yourself what sounds best. I'm sure the style of music your fatherinlaw listens to is going to make a big difference in what you buy.

Just my 2 cents.
    Now you can bash away.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM