Bluetooth receiver for vintage amp.

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by redrooster, Sep 8, 2017.

1. redrooster

redrooster who was that masked man?

I seen an Instructable where a $5 Bluetooth receiver off Fleabay was connected to an amplifier and powered by a USB wall charger. It was a V4.1 +ESD Bluetooth receiver. They are rated at 24MBPS Im wondering if anyone has done this and is it a good quality source? At the moment Ive got a 30 foot wire cable from my computer to amplifier, so Im thinking of getting a Bluetooth transmitter for the computer as well. If anyone has done this Im all ears on how they went with it? As always there is bound to be something to look out for. LOL My amplifier is a Sansui AU-11000., There is a BT receiver on fleabay with a 3.5mm plug, I have a 3.5mm female adapter that goes to RCA plugs, that would connect to Aux. Is this worth doing?

2. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bluetooth can be surprisingly good provided you make sure to use devices which use aptX. There are only a few transmitters I am aware of, I use the AZiO V-401 mostly with headphones that have aptX and the results are great. There are several aptX equipped receivers on Amazon that would hook up via 3.5mm or RCA to your Sansui. Not the $5 ones however.

redrooster likes this.
  3. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

As with most things in life you get what you pay for and this is no exception. The $5.00 bt will get the job done but I'm doubting it's something you'll want to listen to other than for background listening. I have a $17.00 Logitech and haven't listened to it in months even though it is just for garage background music. I would consider that bt source the worst sounding source I've ever had hooked up on my rigs.. Being that bt is an already compromised format if you're remotely serious about listening to it I would recommend a unit with a digital out for use with a separate dac which will help and bt needs all the help it can get imo.

redrooster likes this.
  4. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

I did this by BT until last year, using an aptx-enabled Harman Kardon BT-10 adapter (quite a bit more than $5, though). I was pleased with it in terms of the convenience and the sound (except when the microwave oven was on). But for sound, none of the BT options are better than the wire you are presently running.

Last year I switched to streaming to a Google Chromecast Audio connected to the receiver in the same way (I actually go to a DAC first via optical), using Android devices for the source. The sound is very good. Mostly what I use it for is to stream internet radio directly from the router (must initiate each session first on Android), which has the further advantage that once the stream is started, the Android device can be shut. I have not tried streaming to CCA with a computer, but I recall reading that it probably is possible by using the Chrome browser.

redrooster likes this.
  5. redrooster

redrooster who was that masked man?

OK, so it was too good to be true. Ill stick with the 30 foot cable then. I stream radio from my computer through a Mini Muse DAC, using Shoutcast, it sounds pretty good but no where near as good as the quality from my sturdy, old Marantz 32 CD player. lol Thanks for the heads up fellas.

motorstereo likes this.
  6. E.Auer

E.Auer Well-Known Member

https://github.com/acidhax/chromecast-audio-stream

I use this to cast the system sound from my laptop to a CCA. Only issue I have is that music video's or movies are out of sync, so I mostly just use a USB connection for that. But plain audio works great.

Eric

7. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

Thanks for this info. Good to know.