1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Bluetooth users! Anyone here have an Audioengine B1?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Taketheflame, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Taketheflame

Taketheflame AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey all,

Curious if anyone here has experience with the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver? They're a bit pricey compared to other Bluetooth options out there (although relatively modest in the grand scheme of hi-fi components), but I'm just trying decide if it might be worth the upgrade for me?

I'm currently just running a $20 Esinkin adapter at the moment (that I run through the AUX port on my receiver) - which certainly does the job, and is great for the price - but I'm wondering if I can expect better audio quality/connection stability out of a B1? I recently upgraded my speakers, and they reveal quite a bit more of the flaws of MP3/compressed audio files than my old pair, so I'm planning to re-rip my CD collection into lossless formats on my phone. The Esinkin also experiences occasional (but brief) audio dropouts - that has me considering the Bluetooth receiver side of the equation too.

The other option would be to buy a decent CD player - but truthfully, I would rather keep my CD collection on my phone as I have been - my shelf real estate is already pretty full from the receiver and analog sources, and phone + bluetooth is great for those lazy evenings :).

Hoping someone can shed some light on the B1 - thanks in advance!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gcgst

gcgst Active Member

I too would like to hear if the Audioengine B1 is worth the price. I recently bought three BluDento BLT-2's for the less than the cost of one B1. They look almost identical, except the BLT-2 has coax output in addition to optical.

3. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very happy B1 user here. If you like the cheesy $20 bt adapter then you're going to love the B1 that is a major upgrade. I stream from my phone and use the B1's optical output into my dac on my main rig and it's quite listenable which is not the case with the Erskin bt adapter I also have.

4. Taketheflame

Just looked this one up - not only incredibly similar in appearance, but almost identical tech specs...hmmm...

Looks like a key difference between these options and the Esinkin/other cheap BT receivers is that the onboard DAC supports the aptX BT codec? Motorstereo, what external DAC are you running? Would there be a big difference between an external DAC and the onboard one? (I don't already have a standalone DAC to use).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

^^^^^^I use a Mcintosh D100 dac and I don't believe I've ever used the B1's onboard dac. Yes the aptX codec helps out a great deal to. My older phone didn't do aptX and I was not happy with the sound.

6. gcgst

gcgst Active Member

FWIW, I connect one of the BLT-2's through an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC via coax. Doing some A/B testing between the internal DAC and the XDA-2, the XDA-2 sounds a little better -- just a little cleaner. But the internal BLT-2 DAC still sounds a lot better than the Amazon Basics Bluetooth unit it replaced.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Go with the D2 Wifi 24bit DAC

8. audiobliss

audiobliss Member

I am also very happy with my B1. Using it into my Mac C48 with great success . Never a dropout.

9. Taketheflame

Just picked up a B1 today! A local shop I like (and have bought stuff from before) had one in stock and offered it sales tax free, so that sealed a deal pretty quickly :).

Right off the bat, there is quite a bit of sound quality improvement over the $20 BT apapter. Much more dynamic overall, with stronger lows, more top end clarity, and less of a "squished" sound. I'm guessing much of this has to do with it having a much better onboard DAC, as this is only with the standard BT aptX codec - I have to flash/modify my phone to gain aptX HD functionality and get the most out of this thing - but I still have to re-rip my CDs into FLAC format too (bye bye MP3s!), so I've got a bit of a project on my hands.

10. audiobliss

audiobliss Member

If you want to hear how really great it can sound, log on to Jazzgroove.org internet radio and stream it to the B1 with Bluetooth.