Bob Crites Titanium Diaphragms in KG4’s , is it worth doing?

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I had the forte II, did the upgrades, and have the 4.2's and did the same. For me, and my system, even after the upgrades the forte II still gave me listening fatigue, so I sold them. I also use tubes and tried all types of placement and wanted to like them, it just wasn't working for my system.I had both sets and did A/Bing, blind testing etc. I personally favored the 4.2's due to the front passive radiator and easier overall placement. They are pulled out 6 feet from the back wall,and 3 feet from the side walls in my 14x24 room.I couldn't do that with the forte's due to the rear passive.
You may simply be more sensitive to the extra crossover section in the Forte ll. Or you may simply prefer the sound of a two way (I do) A good two way in my opinion (and I am not alone in this) will sound better than a good three way add too that a two way will integrate over a shorter physical distance than a three way can so they work better for near field listening.
So far as your comment on placement goes you are not making any sense.A KG4.2 with a front mounted passive has zero advantage over a Forte ll with a rear mounted passive when the speakers are placed six feet out into the room and I cannot imagine why you would think such a thing? Rear mounted reflex tubes will minimize mid leakage through the vents but this is not always a problem. Even mounted close to the front wall so long as the speakers are not mounted so that the passive firers square on to the wall there will not be an issue. This goes for passive radiators or reflex vents so long as you have some toe in there won't be a problem. That said if you want to place the speakers flat up against the wall a front mounted vent or passive is the way to go. If you like the KG speakers you should if you ever get the chance take a listen to the CF3 or the CF4 these are three driver two ways (dual woofer horn tweeter) which use the largest wide range modern design horn of any Klipsch home loudspeaker to date, they are in a word impressive.

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt but I find myself in need with no place left to turn. I'm looking for a bit of help and Klipsch says they can't be of service. First time they have ever let me down. I find myself in need of a crossover for a Klipsch KLF10. Really, really don't want to have to start a rebuild on the one I've got. I can find all the parts needed for the rebuild, but the eyes shake worse than the hands. So the thought of doing the work kind of keeps me up nights. Also looking for advice on the same subject. Would you just replace the caps, or clean it all out and replace everything? Also in my distorted way of thinking if I replace or rebuild one do you think I should do both? I would thank you in advance for any help, have a couple you'll sale me, you can give me. And your opinion as to replacing both. Thanks to a great group of folks.

Sorry to interrupt but I find myself in need with no place left to turn. I'm looking for a bit of help and Klipsch says they can't be of service. First time they have ever let me down. I find myself in need of a crossover for a Klipsch KLF10. Really, really don't want to have to start a rebuild on the one I've got. I can find all the parts needed for the rebuild, but the eyes shake worse than the hands. So the thought of doing the work kind of keeps me up nights. Also looking for advice on the same subject. Would you just replace the caps, or clean it all out and replace everything? Also in my distorted way of thinking if I replace or rebuild one do you think I should do both? I would thank you in advance for any help, have a couple you'll sale me, you can give me. And your opinion as to replacing both. Thanks to a great group of folks.
Yes you need to upgrade both crossovers not just one. No you don't need to replace all the parts just the capacitors. Why not send your terminal cups with the crossovers off to Bob Crites he will rebuild them for you then test them and you will have them back in no time and you can sleep again along with enjoying your speakers sounding better than they did when they were new.

You may simply be more sensitive to the extra crossover section in the Forte ll. Or you may simply prefer the sound of a two way (I do) A good two way in my opinion (and I am not alone in this) will sound better than a good three way add too that a two way will integrate over a shorter physical distance than a three way can so they work better for near field listening.
So far as your comment on placement goes you are not making any sense.A KG4.2 with a front mounted passive has zero advantage over a Forte ll with a rear mounted passive when the speakers are placed six feet out into the room and I cannot imagine why you would think such a thing? Rear mounted reflex tubes will minimize mid leakage through the vents but this is not always a problem. Even mounted close to the front wall so long as the speakers are not mounted so that the passive firers square on to the wall there will not be an issue. This goes for passive radiators or reflex vents so long as you have some toe in there won't be a problem. That said if you want to place the speakers flat up against the wall a front mounted vent or passive is the way to go. If you like the KG speakers you should if you ever get the chance take a listen to the CF3 or the CF4 these are three driver two ways (dual woofer horn tweeter) which use the largest wide range modern design horn of any Klipsch home loudspeaker to date, they are in a word impressive.

Moray when I pulled the Forte out from the wall the bass wasn't as pronounced, so I am assuming that is due to there not being a wall behind them. Other than that I don't know why they would be that much different than closer to the wall. I am far from a technician when it comes to speakers or understanding different things with them. But from what I read and what others have said, rear ported and rear passive lost bass response the further from a wall.

proximity to a wall or to a corner has zero impact upon vent/passive tuning. Now before someone cries let me say so long as the speaker is not so close and at a square angle as to cause cancellation reflections to either a vent or a passive. What you are describing is boundary reinforcement and all speakers will be impacted in the same way by this. Now some loudspeakers are designed to take advantage of boundary reinforcement others not, some have large humps in the low end so they can intentionally be placed away from a wall or corner but the reflections from a wall or a corner work the same on all speakers.

Brian,

That's probably the best way to go to ensure you're getting the best from your KG4's at a very reasonable cost while maintaining marital harmony. All us married folks understand the importance of keeping the spouse happy. Please post your observations once you have the upgrades in place. I'd put my money on a very positive review!

Thanks,
Joe
Hello Joe , remember me? I installed Bob Crites’ Titanium diaphragms myself and it was “ So easy “ as you said! Thanks for the encouragement. Now for my review!! Oh , how sweet it is!! I’m hearing instruments that didn’t exist before and the highs are tight , clear , clean and NOT harsh in any way!! Is it my imagination or is the bottom end more detailed and refined? The whole speaker system sounds better!! I’m very pleased and I also added the new Klipsch R-120SW sub and WOW again , what a combo!! My Bowers & Wilkins rears blend in so well and I thoroughly enjoy music in 5 channel format. The specs of my B&W’s are virtually identical to my KG4’S!! Love my system again. And the wife is cool with it!! Happy wife , Happy Life!!

Last edited:
Hello Joe , remember me? I installed Bob Crites’ Titanium diaphragms myself and it was “ So easy “ as you said! Thanks for the encouragement. Now for my review!! Oh , how sweet it is!! I’m hearing instruments that didn’t exist before and the highs are tight , clear , clean and NOT harsh in any way!! Is it my imagination or is the bottom end more detailed and refined? The whole speaker system sounds better!! I’m very pleased and I also added the new Klipsch R-120SW sub and WOW again , what a combo!! My Bowers & Wilkins rears blend in so well and I thoroughly enjoy music in 5 channel format. The specs of my B&W’s are virtually identical to my KG4’S!! Love my system again. And the wife is cool with it!! Happy wife , Happy Life!!

Brian,

Great news Brian! I'm glad you're enjoying the Crites diaphragms. Most reviews of them are positive. I feel everything is more rewarding when you do the work yourself.

Enjoy,
Joe

Brian,

Great news Brian! I'm glad you're enjoying the Crites diaphragms. Most reviews of them are positive. I feel everything is more rewarding when you do the work yourself.

Enjoy,
Joe
I’m really enjoying listening in 2 channel with KG4’S & Sub!! Sounds fantastic!! I also like being surrounded by the music in 5 channel.

I’m really enjoying listening in 2 channel with KG4’S & Sub!! Sounds fantastic!! I also like being surrounded by the music in 5 channel.
Hi Joe , listened to music this morning in just 2 channel and due to the improvement in the sound from the new Ti diaphragms , I can listen at higher volume and feel surrounded by sound. Vocals extend out into the room farther than before and I don’t need 5 channel to feel surrounded by sound!! Loving my New KG4’s!!

What do you have your sub crossed over at?
Hello ccawker , I just recently changed the frequency on my Klipsch R-120SW to 50Hz and the result is much smoother , deep , rich and less prominent low frequency ( bass )
I can hear my Klipsch KG4’s more and am enjoying the sound they produce with the sub adding nice ( low ) frequency bass that is just simply superb. I also replaced the diaphragms in the KG4’s with Titanium from Bob Crites and the result is simply Devine. Less harsh high frequency and detail , clarity , crispness that is allowing me to hear sounds from my music collection that I’ve never heard before. I had the frequency on the sub set at 75hz and it was too prominent!! I realized that a sub should add low frequency softly instead of dominanting the sound!! Thank you for showing an interest and concern!!
Brian

Hello ccawker , I just recently changed the frequency on my Klipsch R-120SW to 50Hz and the result is much smoother , deep , rich and less prominent low frequency ( bass )
I can hear my Klipsch KG4’s more and am enjoying the sound they produce with the sub adding nice ( low ) frequency bass that is just simply superb. I also replaced the diaphragms in the KG4’s with Titanium from Bob Crites and the result is simply Devine. Less harsh high frequency and detail , clarity , crispness that is allowing me to hear sounds from my music collection that I’ve never heard before. I had the frequency on the sub set at 75hz and it was too prominent!! I realized that a sub should add low frequency softly instead of dominanting the sound!! Thank you for showing an interest and concern!!
Brian

I had put the Crites titaniums in my brother's KG-4 and it made a nice difference indeed! I just picked up an old RSW-15 sub that the driver was hosed in for free. I am in the process of rebuilding the driver and hope to have it together soon. I am sure it will add another dimension to the KG-4s. :rockon:

Have you heard your KG4’S with a sub before? If not , you’re going to “ Love It “ the addition of the upgraded Crites Titanium Diaphragms is allowing me to hear instruments in my music collection that I’ve never heard before and the low frequency is amazingly deep , rich , smooth and blends so nicely with the highs and mids!! I have a rather large “ Great Room “ and the room is more than adequately filled with phenomenal sound!! Post your results after your sub is up and working!!

Have you heard your KG4’S with a sub before? If not , you’re going to “ Love It “ the addition of the upgraded Crites Titanium Diaphragms is allowing me to hear instruments in my music collection that I’ve never heard before and the low frequency is amazingly deep , rich , smooth and blends so nicely with the highs and mids!! I have a rather large “ Great Room “ and the room is more than adequately filled with phenomenal sound!! Post your results after your sub is up and working!!

Nope, not yet! :p They sound awesome the way they are. The person who had this sub was using it along with 4 (yes 4) 1st gen LaScala. :rockon: The kiddies with their trunk rattlers think they have bass! :idea::rflmao:

What sub do you have?

What sub do you have?
RSW15. It's an older one with aluminum cone. Specs say it has a power rating of 650 to 2400 watts. Not sure if some of that is "competitive advertising" or not. The magnet is a triple layer design though and is very heavy. Some of the newer Klipsch 15" drivers I looked at for a possible replacement only had double layer magnets and weren't deep enough to fit the support in the cabinet

We each have to make our own choices depending on our preferences. Some people use lemon juice with their Salmon , I use lime juice. Some folks prefer Shure V-15 cartridges others prefer Stanton. Some prefer Magnesioum tone arms, some prefer carbon fibre. You catch my drift. I prefer silk domes myself . My aluminum tweeters are damped so there are no resonate peaks. Titanium diaphragms have resonate peaks. If you can't hear them you have nothing to worry about, but I f you can you will be cursing yourself and can't wait to change back. At least BOB has an understanding and is pretty liberal about understanding if you are not happy with your purchase. But I would want a clear understanding before purchasing the diaphragms.

Back
Top Bottom