Bob's Tuner Tales

Who are you talking to? Doug has probably owned as many tuners as the rest of us combined.

ha ha! :rflmao:

yes, i have had a tuna or three. i still have too many; i think it might finally be time to thin the school...

"pablo", i think you should really meander on over to the fmtunerinfo.com site. there's a plethora of useful info there, as well as links to the yahoo tuner forum; another great place for tuna info. and, on the fmtunerinfo site, there's a "shootouts" list that you may find useful. i agree with a lot of the ratings, but not all; a couple i really think are completely off base, but i suspect this is due to the fact that there is variability between different samples of the same model - condition, alignment, reception conditions all play a part. and then, after mods, a decent tuna can be made outstanding.

one specific comment about the shootouts should also bring into perspective that, once you have a decent tuna, and have it properly refurbished - modded even better - is that the truth be known, there really is not a lot of difference sonically between a lot of the really good tuna. if you look at the shootout comparo of the kenwood l-02t (2nd of 81) vs pioneer f-91 (48th of 81), you will find this in the comments:
"In my small listening room, I preferred the L-02T.,. ...In a large room, in a big sound system, I might choose this Pioneer over the L-02T..."
so, one of the best in the entire shootout is not that far off of one that didn't even rank in the top half.

regarding the aiwa at9700u that you asked me about via pm, here's what i can say about it - it's a fine tuna, great sound, very good reception. i really like its ergoniomics, and it's quite attractive, imo. it's a touch off the pace of the best sounding out there, but the unit i have has never been serviced. and "a touch off the pace" really isn't all that much, truth be known. it will draw you into the music, if you have the benefit of a good broadcast. (unfortunately not all that common these days.) and you need good ancillary gear to take advantage of the sonics it's capable of. and, while i don't know for sure, i suspect a proper service/alignment, coupled with judicious mods, would make it about as good as fm sound can get. this is based on my experience w/having other tuna modded, and also hearing the description of someone on the yahoo forum who's modded his.

hth,

doug s.

ha ha! :rflmao:
yes, i have had a tuna or three. i still have too many; i think it might finally be time to thin the school...
doug s.
While only have five at the moment, certainly sympathize.
The T-106 has the best sonics by a small margin, but the ST-J75 has the blackest background and its slim profile sure fits well into a down-sized system. Decisions, decisions............

While only have five at the moment, certainly sympathize.
The T-106 has the best sonics by a small margin, but the ST-J75 has the blackest background and its slim profile sure fits well into a down-sized system. Decisions, decisions............
if i got down to ten, i'd be doing really excellent! :D

doug s.

Is anyway you can rank all the tuners you have ? I would love to heard your opinion, thanks

Tier one: Day Sequerra Studio, Sansui TU-X1
Tier two: Tandberg 3001A, Pioneer F-26, Yamaha CT 7000B, Kenwood L-01T, Yamaha T-2, Sansui TU-9900, Philips AH-673, Rotel RT990BX, SAE Mark Six

I got one at Goodwill early on in my collecting career

Very good sound and a fascinating tuning display. It had a moving digital display within its analog scale.

Way cool
agreed about the appearance - i have always thought the t35 was a looker. never heard one, tho.

doug s.

Back
Top Bottom