Bookshelf recommendations?

insomniac

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a bookshelf speaker in the $500-$1500 range that would mate well with some low to mid-powered tube monoblocks. I've been running high-powered SS for a while and I think it would be fun to change things up a bit. They would be running off of a pair of refurbished Magnavox AMP 128's, if I can ever find the time to finish them, so 4 ohm impedance would be a plus. I hear they're good for about 30 wpc @4 ohms, about half that at 8.

I will take that into consideration. I seem to remember you being a Klipsch fan, so we may have similar tastes. I used a pair of KG3's for years before I downsized to a pair of Energy bookshelves.

I will take that into consideration. I seem to remember you being a Klipsch fan, so we may have similar tastes. I used a pair of KG3's for years before I downsized to a pair of Energy bookshelves.

Yes, I am a Klipsch fan, among many other brands and genres of speaker, but they aren't my first choice for bookshelf models, as I find their strengths in the bigguns. I'd really be interested in hearing the KEF LS-50, too, but am unsure how they'd pair with a relatively lower-power amp at only 85db sensitivity. The PSB, coming in at 89db, seems a potentially better option, and having favorably heard some of their bookshelf models in the past, would want to put them on my shortlist.

I have heard the LS50's and they are phenomenal. If I decide the tubes aren't my cup of tea I'll probably sell them to finance a pair of them.

I know nothing about newer Polk's, but I've been kind of curious about them. They certainly look nice!

I know nothing about newer Polk's, but I've been kind of curious about them. They certainly look nice!

I know I've read good comments about them here and there while surfing. I'd like to hear some of their models, too.

The bookshelf speaker I'd most like to hear lately though, is the Bryston Mini T. A rather large bookshelf three-way model that, unfortunately, is beyond the budget indicated here, and beyond mine right now as well.

Interesting; I've always been on the lookout for Bryston amps locally, I didn't even know they made speakers. Expensive ones at that! At least for my humble budget. I would love to hear them though.

Ls50s like wattage but might work with your amps. Id be more inclined to try some single driver speakers ala fostex or mark audio. The ls50 are sweet though having owned all three aforementioned speakers.

Are you only thinking about new speakers? There's plenty of great vintage bookshelf speakers for far less money than you're thinking of spending.

Ls50s like wattage but might work with your amps. Id be more inclined to try some single driver speakers ala fostex or mark audio. The ls50 are sweet though having owned all three aforementioned speakers.

I was looking at Hornshoppe speakers, but I read they're meant to be placed in the corners of the room- sadly I can't get away with that in my listening space. If you know of any other single driver systems that would work I would be highly interested, even if they're not bookshelves. May have to look into mark audio.

Are you only thinking about new speakers? There's plenty of great vintage bookshelf speakers for far less money than you're thinking of spending.

I was actually just about to add this, I am totally open to the idea of vintage, especially since I'm reasonably capable restoration-wise. After all, the amps I'm planning on using are pushing 65 years old.

Ascend has the Sierra-2 B stock on sale. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/ From what I've read, you would be hard pressed to find the "cosmetic flaw" that makes them B stock.

I have a pair, and love them. The ribbon tweeter is truly amazing. (And doesn't bother my tinnitus, unlike some dome tweeters do.)

These have been compared favorably with the LS 50's.

I was actually just about to add this, I am totally open to the idea of vintage, especially since I'm reasonably capable restoration-wise. After all, the amps I'm planning on using are pushing 65 years old.

Than check out the Wharfdale W35. I just finished refurbishing mine. They are an astonishingly good speaker. These 48 year old speakers have crystal clear sound my Polk RTI A3’s does not quite have. They are fairly easy to find. Refresh the Crossovers with Mundorf E-Cap’s and sit back an enjoy.

F8CB9A54-4D41-4BCF-B5DD-511E9519219B.jpeg
3B5136B8-42D8-4973-93F7-F45F69AEE376.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom