Bookshelf speaker taste test

bookasan

Appassionato circa audio
I had someone call me the other day, telling me they were looking for a small set of used speakers for under $75.00. Said he didn't care if they were newer or vintage, so I began to dig through the about 30 or so pairs of speakers I had in my garage.
I pulled out the 3 pairs of small speakers that didn't need new surrounds or any other work.
1) some old Frazier Loudspeaker bookshelf speakers (looks like mid 1960's). It has been some time since I opened up the back and looked inside, but I think they are 2-way.

2) Wharfedale W30 bookshelf. Not sure as to when they were made, but look to be late 60's to early 70's.
Again, not sure, but I think 2-way.

3) Cerwin Vega AT-8. 2-way with an 8" woofer, ported. 1987.
A little bigger than a bookshelf, but the next smallest I had.

Then I hooked them all up to a Sony STR-7065 (65 WPC), and A/B/C'd them, listening to CD's.

First the C-V's. Highs were ok, but these things just can't handle much. I was not impressed at all with the bottom. I expected tight, punchy bass out the 8" but it just wasn't there. Overall, I thought they sucked.

Then the Wharfedales. Lacking both in high end and bottom end.
I thought maybe something was wrong with them, but I remeber checking all of the drivers when I first got them.
Very "honky" exagerated midrange sound.

Then the Fraziers. WOW! These little guys sound better than many of the much larger speakers I have. Great punchy bass. They can seem to handle whatever I throw at them. Could use a little more detail in the high end, but not too bad.
One thing I never realized until I went to hook them up, was they are mirror immaged.
These must have been some high-end speakers for thier time.

And the winner is the Frazier's by a lanslide!

The guy decided he didn't want vintage after all and he didn't want the C-V's.
I now have the Fraziers hooked up in the Garage system.

Try the Wharfedales with a smalller amp and check to make sure the crossover components are in spec. In fighting form they should be neither bright nor bass biased as many speakers are today which if you are used to listening to will make them seem bass and high-end shy.

The Fraziers have drivers by Utah. He made cabinets and bought the drivers ready to go.
If they are the same 2 ways I had, the large drivers are bright blue with a gold sticker, the tweeter is a 3"er and the crossover is a large Cornell Dubliner "Tiger" 4 uF cap.

And they kicked butt. I played mine till the old paper in the 8"ers started to fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom