Bookshelf speakers recommendation for my Onkyo 9010

hhjack

I am looking for suggestions for modern speakers for my system. Currently, my system is a Technics 1200 MK2, Lounge Audio LCR MKIII pre amp, Onkyo 9010 Integrated Amp, and Dynaco A25 bookshelves. The Dynaco A25s are nice speakers, and I'm not looking to get rid of them. But I was curious about matching modern speakers with my Onkyo amp. The 9010 is rated at 44 watts per channel into 8 ohms or 70 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

Particularly, I am looking for a lively, detailed sound with bass that is well defined and not boomy. The room size for the speakers is fairly small so I'm not looking for large volume. Also, I am wanting to keep the size to bookshelves. My budget is a max of $500. Any suggestions?

I like the Q acoustics speakers. I got a pair for for my daughter and they are better than they have any right to be for the price.

Anything Polk all day long.
I have some Polk TSi100 speakers that I used for a few months until I came across the Dynaco A25s. The Dynaco speakers out performed the Polks in every way that the Polk speakers went back into their box.

I am very impressed by my Q Acoustics 3020 speakers. I find them to be an incredible bargain.

They are a high quality speaker. They are designed by Karl Heinz fink who designe's for a few company's including AVI. He is said to be one of the best in the business.

I have some Polk TSi100 speakers that I used for a few months until I came across the Dynaco A25s. The Dynaco speakers out performed the Polks in every way that the Polk speakers went back into their box.

100% agree, not a fan of Polks, I got a feeling the guys that have them have not heard other things other than Klipsh which are also lousy nowadays. There wont be any way to hear them but if your gutsy, try Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, on sale and back in stock at Music Direct. My son got a pair and his speakers are far and away better than all kinds of recent stuff I have tried. Short List, Cambridge Aero 2, not even close, Polk RTIA3 not even close, Klipsh RP160, once again on there own they cound , eh, ok, A/B his Diamonds and they are left in the dust.

There just about to sell out, but I may get a set before there gone for good. I have so many places I could use them.

Just another opinion, but we have played with a descent amount of speakers for fun, so good luck.

Flaps/ Chris

The reviews of the bass management in the Monitor Audio BX2 has me intrigued. I was also researching the Elac Uni-Fi UB5 speakers (but were worried my amp wouldn't be powerful enough for them), and the Monitors seem to be similar praised in details and bass. And aesthetically, I am enjoying the Monitor Audio BX2. They look attractive (especially compared to the cheaper veneer look of the Elac, IMO) and are large bookshelves more in vain to the Dynaco A25s, which I enjoy. Still researching the other suggestions, which I appreciate.

100% agree, not a fan of Polks, I got a feeling the guys that have them have not heard other things other than Klipsh which are also lousy nowadays. There wont be any way to hear them but if your gutsy, try Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, on sale and back in stock at Music Direct. My son got a pair and his speakers are far and away better than all kinds of recent stuff I have tried. Short List, Cambridge Aero 2, not even close, Polk RTIA3 not even close, Klipsh RP160, once again on there own they cound , eh, ok, A/B his Diamonds and they are left in the dust.

There just about to sell out, but I may get a set before there gone for good. I have so many places I could use them.

Just another opinion, but we have played with a descent amount of speakers for fun, so good luck.

Flaps/ Chris[/QUO

Yeah, thats it, I have not heard anything else.........GAG

Last edited:
If it was me, no doubt I would wait for another $50.00 to add to my $500 and get the Focal 705. With a bloodline from the amazing $200,000 retail, highly regarded Focal Grand Utopias, its a bargain. me want, me likey, and that inverted dome tweeter mann lol!!

Attachments

• g091C705W-F.jpg
    g091C705W-F.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
I had my Klipsch KSB 1.1 bookshelves working in my office for years. Quite happy with them cause I could throw some power at em and they would not distort. I was out driving and stopped at a garage sale..(prepare yourself) I find on a table among other things a pair of VRM-50's. Boston Acoustics. The guy was asking $75.00. I got the wallet out and said "all I have is $50. " His wife says TAKE IT!! I backed away to the car holding these in my arms. BO's were always out of my price field. The KBS,s were a hundred bucks on EBAY. After getting these home I tell the wife I'm gonna sell em and make some money. Let me hook em up make sure they work. These are Reference speakers. I had equalized the Klipsch to get the sound I liked. These sounded better flat then the Klipsch did all amped up.And the OP is right about defined Bass, not boomy. Good luck on your search. I have heard a lot of people tout the ELAC kits.
Yea I kept em.

If it was me, no doubt I would wait for another $50.00 to add to my $500 and get the Focal 705. With a bloodline from the amazing $200,000 retail, highly regarded Focal Grand Utopias, its a bargain. me want, me likey, and that inverted dome tweeter mann lol!!

Focals would be my second suggestion for someone that wants more detail and air on the upper end and a tradeoff of less bass presence and extension.

I believe they are a bit more sensitive but I'm not a very loud listener.

I figured I should give an update on my speaker search. After much consideration, I decided to test out the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2. I'm still breaking them in but these are looking like strong contenders for finding a permanent home in my system. Detailed presentation with an impressive midrange and a strong, revealing bass that plucks along without a trace of that bloated, muddy sound. Whatever I've played on my system has sounded wonderful, and I've been able to just sit back and enjoy the music. An added bonus, I was able to get them at a great price of $250 total.

I figured I should give an update on my speaker search. After much consideration, I decided to test out the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2. I'm still breaking them in but these are looking like strong contenders for finding a permanent home in my system. Detailed presentation with an impressive midrange and a strong, revealing bass that plucks along without a trace of that bloated, muddy sound. Whatever I've played on my system has sounded wonderful, and I've been able to just sit back and enjoy the music. An added bonus, I was able to get them at a great price of $250 total.

Picture??

Back
Top Bottom