Boomboxes and Ghettoblasters

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Collin1141, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Collin1141

Collin1141 Well-Known Member

Figured this is the best place as I'm interested in talking the classics
    Solid State, stereo, compact cassette, radio and portability - could fit a few of categories
    Pre CD models
    Anyone here heavy into boomboxes and their restoration-preservation?

2. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not interested in the least...

3. kirkendoll

kirkendoll Luke.kirk on instagram Subscriber

It's the only one I have and my Magnavox D-8300 gets tons of use at the lake and camping. When I got it about 8 months ago it played a tape for about ten minutes and then died of rotten gear syndrome so it is mainly used for radio. It does have rca inputs in the back that I can hook my mp3 player to but it is really noisy and not as crisp as the radio.

IMG_20170514_213427_285.jpg

claybar likes this.
  4. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I no longer have a need for a boombox, but I still have an interest. Magnavox made some that once appealed to me a lot, as did the JVC Kaboom. A friend had one of Magnavox's iterations with the sub in the center and a lot of features - probably the best boombox I ever heard (except for a heavy wooden one I built from solid oak with Pioneer component car stereo - their very first car component model - and separate amp. Ran from a cigarette lighter, or 110V AC if that were available. Weighed sixty pounds and looked very nice, if I do say so myself.) Never bought either, but was tempted. Not a boombox, but Cambridge Soundworks (IIRC) sold a portable suitcase type deal which served as subwoofer and case for satellites and an amp (IIRC, again) that I found highly appealing but never could seem to afford when raising kids. Some of you will doubtless recall the model name of that system - and if anyone here still has a set and can post images, I would find that highly interesting to see again. Pics are all I ever saw, in ads, certainly never got the chance to audition.

Bahamayellow and dane795 like this.
  5. melofelo

melofelo Addicted Member

I have a Sharp GF-9090 that I love using for radio .

Attached Files:

6. Collin1141

Hi guys,
    I thinking along the lines of the classic boxes like the JVC RC-M90 (and all the others)
    The 1980s basically

7. Collin1141

NICE box
    Tape section work?

8. Kreshna

Kreshna ...but I have to know.

turnitdown likes this.
  9. mfrench

mfrench AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Sony Sports Walkman.
    I used pure copper wire through the handle to suspend the deck. The antennae has the rare spring clip modification, to increase it ablility to receive weak signal.
    Electrical flex jacket shielding to resist emi/rfi. It has an upgraded RatShack 9v power supply.
    Also, a cable lock to prevent anyone taking it.
    The patina is vintage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  10. melofelo

melofelo Addicted Member

It does work at the moment. I stripped it down once to replace a small idler rubber that engages the flywheel , this is a common fix most restorers will have to perform when restoring the tape section on these 9090s but not that difficult once you free the entire tape section module.
    Using some generic square section cassette belts got it working well enough but I'll probably source the correct belt replacement kit in the near future as it does run slightly fast without the correct width flywheel belt which should be wide and flat instead of square section.
    Some fuzzy old pics

Attached Files:

11. Collin1141

Nice early era box
    Don't blow extra coins on the "kits" unless you absolutely have to
    You're fortunate, your machine uses the following PRB numbers which are still easy to find
    FRW10.1
    SCX7.0
    SCX7.4

12. melofelo

melofelo Addicted Member

Great Info Colin :) I will just try to find the correct main belt for it then.

13. Collin1141

If you have to go with a U.S. seller the postage will cost you more than the belt
    The "kits" are a rip
    I'll PM you the best U.S. vendor I know, you can email him and see what it'll cost you

14. cademan

cademan Addicted Member

John James likes this.
  15. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

Boomboxes are cool. I was in high school in the 80's and always wanted a cool one, but couldn't afford it. I grab any boomboxes I find now. I've got a few that I've fixed up.

I got this GE model at GW for $6, works great, just needed deoxit in the pots.
    IMG_20151114_203016945.jpg

This Sony was on the curb for trash pickup. Just needed a belt and deoxit.
    IMG_20160614_125802646.jpg

I have another Sony that I got on Craigslist with the original box and paperwork. That one needs a belt, but I haven't got to it yet. I also had a Panasonic I rebelted, traded that one for some records.

parman, melofelo, musichal and 2 others like this.
  16. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

Not interested? Don't reply at all. A negative Nelly thread crap isn't really necessary.

Bill Ferris, ELzekio, parman and 5 others like this.
  17. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Already unsubscribed from the thread.:banana:

18. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

I used to have a nice JVC PC-550 and loved it. Sadly it pooched and sold it to a serviceman from Georgia for parts or repair.
    But always wanted one of those Clairtone monsters...lol
    [​IMG]

19. Collin1141

20. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

Had a Aiwa TPR-990 for a while, I used it in my workplace, when I moved on I regrettably left it behind, But my JVC RV-B99GY Kaboom annihilates it in terms of sound.

28ca0f617a5d5ecdd3efe58c57ccdd82.jpg