Boosting an iPod's power to a Sansui Receiver

Slumlord

Hello.

I've got a Sansui 9090DB, Denon TT and a pair of JBL 100T's. Everything works smashingly except for when I try and pair up my iPod with the system. I noticed that I really need to turn the volume up to get any sound out of the thing. I’m using Monster cables to connect the unit, so I know cabling isn’t the issue.
I'm wondering if an external amp is the answer?

I did a little researching on the site and I saw someone mentioned the Sonic T-amp and super T-amp, but I'm wondering if that is a relevant solution? Anyone have experience with it or something similar or another creative solution?

Another thing.
If an external amp is the answer, I'd like it to be portable enough so that I could bring it along camping with me.

Any suggestions would be great.

Probably a silly question, but where is the volume control set on the iPod? It should be a bit over 3/4 in order to output enough voltage to drive the aux inputs of your Sansui. I have a number of iPods and vintage amps, and I've never run into a similar problem.
Alternately, you could purchase something like a Pocket Dock which has a line out (works on 3rd generation and later iPods, the ones with a dock connector). This line out bypasses the internal amp of the iPod and delivers the proper voltage at the aux inputs of your receiver.
Hope this helps. :D

Don't know if an ipod is exactly like my mp3 player but the volume on the player should be all the way up. You use the volume knob on the amp for fine adjustment.

Jim

I'm not sure all iPod models work the same way, but when in its dock, my iPod has a separate volume control for the line outputs. Pull it out of the dock, and the volume control reverts to controlling the headphone level.

The other thing to look into is a Monitor Audio iDock, which has the added benefit of using an outboard DAC (Wolfson). Much better sound.

--------------------

I'm going to move this thread into the iPod area instead of in the general Digital Formats area.

Back
Top Bottom