"Boosting" Phono Stage Output?

AnzacSonata

Is there any way to "boost" or "add on" to a built-in phono stage's output?

Let me explain: The phono stage in my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver works fine, but it doesn't put out a particularly "hot" gain (even with the unit's "IntelliVolume" input trim adjustment turned up pretty high for the phono input), using an Audio-Technica cartridge of average output...

Is there a device that can be "added" to a phono stage to give it some more "oomph," but which can also be introduced in-line between the phono level signal?

...it doesn't put out a particularly "hot" gain (even with the unit's "IntelliVolume" input trim adjustment turned up pretty high for the phono input)...
If you have individual gain adjustments for each of the inputs why not turn the phono input up full instead of "pretty high", then turn the others down a bit to match them up?

Forget the built-in phono stage. Buy a standalone unit with adjustable gain. What is the output of your cartridge? Plug that number into the KABUSA phono stage gain calculator and figure out a number for how much gain you might need for that particular cartridge.

i actually prefer a lighter gain on the tt and phono pre, i think if you are comparing oooomph to other sources on your onkyo, vinyl may not be the same instantly with controls set the same, some older albums will have a higher recording db and its annoying and distorts the receiver phono pre, love and comphensate for the low gain you will have to turn it up more maybe adjust little less bass, get it cleaned up it will sound great. LOL careful when you switch back to the louder source!

The "white elephant" in the room is what is your cart. If it is a low output MC cart or even a high output MC cart, you may need an external phono stage or step up transformer to balance things out. MOST--and I use the term loosely--MM/MI carts have a fairly "standardized" output, but if you want more gain, an external phono pre or SUT will get you there.

It's called a line stage. Turn the knob labeled "Volume" clockwise.

Thanks. Sarcasm is like a second language to me, so I'm riiiiiight there with cha.

What I'm actually asking is if there was a way to boost the pre-line signal so I don't have to turn the volume knob up all that much.

If you have individual gain adjustments for each of the inputs why not turn the phono input up full instead of "pretty high", then turn the others down a bit to match them up?

Thanks Rothwell; that's an option, too -- I just didn't want to max out the input trim because that affects overall available volume by lowering the max volume to compensate.

Forget the built-in phono stage. Buy a standalone unit with adjustable gain. What is the output of your cartridge? Plug that number into the KABUSA phono stage gain calculator and figure out a number for how much gain you might need for that particular cartridge.

Thanks ot...

If possible, I'd like to continue using my built-in stage, as it's one of the reasons I purchased this particular stereo receiver; is there no device that can boost phono signal on top of the already "equalized" phono stage curve?

i actually prefer a lighter gain on the tt and phono pre

May I ask why?

i think if you are comparing oooomph to other sources on your onkyo, vinyl may not be the same instantly with controls set the same, some older albums will have a higher recording db and its annoying and distorts the receiver phono pre

I totally understand what you're saying regarding the differences in immediate output between, say, the turntable and the CD player when compared at the same volume....but what did you mean by "older albums have a higher recording dB and distort the phono pre"?

love and comphensate for the low gain you will have to turn it up more maybe adjust little less bass, get it cleaned up it will sound great. LOL careful when you switch back to the louder source!

That's what I've been doing; turning the master volume way up to compensate when playing vinyl -- but I hate having to turn it up SO high when LPs are a bit on the weakly-mastered side...

The "white elephant" in the room is what is your cart. If it is a low output MC cart or even a high output MC cart, you may need an external phono stage or step up transformer to balance things out. MOST--and I use the term loosely--MM/MI carts have a fairly "standardized" output, but if you want more gain, an external phono pre or SUT will get you there.

Thanks sav...

The cart in question is an Audio-Technica AT95e; is there NO device that can be connected in-line with a phono stage to give it more boost? A new external preamp would be the only option?

Back
Top Bottom