Bosch, Season 3

c.coyle

Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I binged the first 4 episodes yesterday. My first impression is even better than the first two seasons. Harry is going to get real, real dark!

Tense, interwoven plots, and there seems to be a conscious effort to develop the other characters (Edgar, Billets, Irving, Detective Robertson [who is not in the books], Harry's daughter) and give the show a little bit of an ensemble feel.

I am a huge fan of the books, and at first I didn't like Titus Welliver as Bosch, since I'd always pictured him as a short, wiry guy.

Totally agree...got thru the entire series 4 this weekend, went back and started over again with season 1.
Aside from really great casting (same reaction to Titus at first, now a huge fan...still better than a tiny/arrogant Jack Reacher), I think having Connelly involved directly may make a huge difference, and the format - where they take an entire season to cover (I think) a whole book's worth of story is the best I've seen. Books are usually shaved down to just 'residual attitude' by shortening (lard?) into just a few episodes...this works sooo much better, but the few changes they make keep you engaged even if you've read the books.
Highly recommended. +1 for Amazon, too.

One thing I think comes across better in the videos - and a major 'reality flavoring' - is Connelly's really adept portrayal of the butt-kissing yes-men/ladies who infect every large (and some small) organizations with their dim-witted, dull minded back-stabbing, innovation-killing (I could go on...) climbs up the 'central office/admin' ladder....perhaps the real reason for decline of some industries?

(I've often wondered if anyone has done a proper/frank study of corporate cultures and the chilling effect of drones like that on corporate survival. I knew someone who was attempting such a study for his thesis while working for a really large F100 company (which degree studies, ironically, were being funded by that self same co.!)...but as I recall, he 'dissapeared' from that organization shortly afterwards...always wondered what the back story was on that.)
Wonder if Connelly had direct experience with the breed...he sure gets the portrayals right - except that in reality they usually Win.
But, I guess we can't all be Kelly Johnsons, either.
Anyhow, this series is my new #1 favorite, taking the crown from my previous favorite/s - the YellowBird versions of Mankell's Wallander series.
Thanks!

I am really enjoying Amy Aquino as Grace Billets. Female cops are usually portrayed as either overcompensating for their insecurity in a masculine profession by being pushy and defensive, or as submissive. Aquino as Billets knows she's at least the equal of the men around her, and subtly radiates self-confidence.

Peak TV, hell yesssss!

Every frame of Bosch S3 is gorgeously composed. I liked the look in S1 & S2 but S3 seems to have broken new ground in that regard. Although there are other recent shows that hit this standard IMO Bosch sets the baseline (for me) on what is acceptable. I have no tolerance for substandard production now and Bosch is why. Further, Titus Welliver is just plain fantastic in the role. I have not read the books so I have no comparison for how the character is written but Welliver is whom I will think of when I do read them. I've always liked his work in the many small roles he's had and believe Bosch will lead him to bigger things. And once more the new reality of Peak TV comes to the fore. Skilled but B & C list actors get to showcase their acting chops (Winona Ryder Stranger Things, Rufus Sewell The Man In A High Castle, et al) and the viewer wins.

Does it seem to anyone else that the audio on this show is very well recorded? Not only the jazz that seems to almost be one of the characters, but the dialogue and sound effects, too. It seems really clear, and has good dynamic range. Maybe it's just that I don't have to fight loud commercials every few minutes, and I can just leave the volume control alone.

Does it seem to anyone else that the audio on this show is very well recorded? Not only the jazz that seems to almost be one of the characters, but the dialogue and sound effects, too. It seems really clear, and has good dynamic range. Maybe it's just that I don't have to fight loud commercials every few minutes, and I can just leave the volume control alone.

That's exactly my point of the composition of the show, the production values for everything are high. Sound, lighting, how the shot is framed, everything. Then add the writing, acting, and direction to it and it is a winner. Another Amazon show, Goliath, is the same way and worth watching. Billy Bob Thornton is great too.

Interesting stat on Amazon vs. Netflix. Netflix does ~$6B annually for their subscription business. Delivering video is their only business. Amazon does ~$4.5B with video business and it isn't even their core business but one that is essentially chump change when compared to the rest of their business. They also launch reusable rockets.

Hmmmm.

The paradigms they are a-changin'.....

Well, that's that until next year. Finally finished the series, binge watched the last 3 w/ my wife. I really dislike 10 ep "seasons". Leaves you wanting more.

Just started watching this last night, L.A. Locations, Noir overtones, loved it! Will definitely continue.

I really liked season 3. They kind of ended it on a good note some I’m wondering it there will be more seasons. I hope so

Big fan of the books.
I always sort of pictured Bosch to be more of a Steve MCQueen.

steve-mcqueen-lrg.jpg

Loving this show,, I'm already on season 4!.
So much L.A. Landmark location shooting, Ameoba Records, The Biltmore Hotel, The Bradbury Building, Angels Flight, these have all included extensive interior shots as well.

Back
Top Bottom