Bose 2201; does anyone have one?

andy

It was the first Bose speaker, and was the predecessor to the 901. It used exactly the opposite design philosophy; trying to emulate a point source rather that a diffused source. They are 1/8th spheres, and were meant to be placed in the corners of a room. They used 22 full range drivers, similar to the 901, and had a built in power amp with active EQ. I know there are some still out there, and I would buy a pair if they showed up near me at a reasonable price.

Being rare, and unusual, I've always been curious about them. With so many people hating the 901 for its diffused sound, I'm wondering if something like this could work well? So, has anyone heard a pair?

Here's a link to the owner's manual:

http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/2201_guide.pdf

There's a recently completed ebay listing (reserve not met) if anyone wants to see more pictures.

Attachments

• bose22015.JPG
    bose22015.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 541
  • bose22016.JPG
    bose22016.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 194
bose 2201

Cool looking speaker, I have never seen one or heard of the 2201 until now. I wouldn't mind listening to those myself, 22 drivers and its own built in amp, I have heard the commercial bose amps, that they use in office buildings and they aren't bad, by any means. If those amps are close in design to the commercial stuff, that would be one heck of a find. These just might make people start thinking differently of bose here on this forum. :yes:

Amazing.

Without having read this, I would have walked right by them in a thrift or at an auction, thinking they were some decorative furniture or........ something :scratch2:

Now I know.

Cool post.

I actually placed a bid on that set on ebay, but with the cost of shipping, I wasn't willing to bid enough to make the reserve. Including the two pairs in that listing, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 in the last few years.

I'd like a couple more of them myself, especially if member Thierry can figure out how to bridge them. Just imagine quad 1801s with quad Ohms. :yes:
Hello Cabinover , what are the speakers you have on your info page or whatever they call that??
I have just recently acquired a pair that look similar with no info out there about them, only a name badge that reads "Romik"
would you know anything about these ? the only thing I was able to dig up is that they were engineered, and made by a man who worked for Bell Laboratories in New Jersey.
Thanks.

Hello Cabinover , what are the speakers you have on your info page or whatever they call that??
I have just recently acquired a pair that look similar with no info out there about them, only a name badge that reads "Romik"
would you know anything about these ? the only thing I was able to dig up is that they were engineered, and made by a man who worked for Bell Laboratories in New Jersey.
Thanks.
If you referring to his avatar, search for Karlson enclosures. Popular 50's and 60's DIY

I know this is a Zombie thread - but has anyone have one or seen one? I've been looking for years and never come across one.

Aloha and Happy Friday! We have a set as well. We have had them for 30 years. I don't remember the serial numbers but I want to think #31 and I don't remember the other. I used to work at Bose and it was fun to have them as so many people wondered about them. We had 2 sets but one went back to Bose along with a copy of the letter that came with the speakers and the original owners manual. We have the hand drawn schematics as well, and a few spare drivers just in case they ever fail. Bose worked them over in 1994. I'm playing them right now and they are just fun to listen to. They are not wild about digital dynamic range. But man are they ever spacious!!!!! We also have 901 concertos, and have owned just about everything we ever made, until I retired and hung up my Bose hat!

Aloha and Happy Friday! We have a set as well. We have had them for 30 years. I don't remember the serial numbers but I want to think #31 and I don't remember the other. I used to work at Bose and it was fun to have them as so many people wondered about them. We had 2 sets but one went back to Bose along with a copy of the letter that came with the speakers and the original owners manual. We have the hand drawn schematics as well, and a few spare drivers just in case they ever fail. Bose worked them over in 1994. I'm playing them right now and they are just fun to listen to. They are not wild about digital dynamic range. But man are they ever spacious!!!!! We also have 901 concertos, and have owned just about everything we ever made, until I retired and hung up my Bose hat!

Would love to get my ears near a pair of those. I currently work with a bunch of ex-mountain folks and they all have nothing but interesting things to say about that pair.

Although this may be a 'dead' post, a set has shown up on US Audio Mart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649953988-pair-of-bose-2201-speakers/

7K$ + freight or travel.....no competition from me... ;) But I'd like to ask Fairliner IF he could copy those schematics and either post them or email me a set.
I used to own a pair of 901Bs' that still have a soft spot in my mind....one of many, if one audits those who know me...*L*

Still have a fascination for omnis', dipoles, line arrays, and that of unusual natures....and Yes, it'd be a treat of sorts to resurrect a pair or two of 2201V2s'. *G*

Although this may be a 'dead' post, a set has shown up on US Audio Mart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649953988-pair-of-bose-2201-speakers/

7K$ + freight or travel.....no competition from me... ;) But I'd like to ask Fairliner IF he could copy those schematics and either post them or email me a set.
I used to own a pair of 901Bs' that still have a soft spot in my mind....one of many, if one audits those who know me...*L*

Still have a fascination for omnis', dipoles, line arrays, and that of unusual natures....and Yes, it'd be a treat of sorts to resurrect a pair or two of 2201V2s'. *G*
I like a good zombie post and I just saw some 2201s for sale. I would love to find a set of those in the wild!

Aloha and happy Thursday! I just check this forum as it’s been a few years. Yes, it would be a my pleasure to get them to you if you still want them. It will take me a few days to dig them out of our old computer. Is there an email address I can send them to?
make it an awesome day!

Back
Top Bottom