Bose 501 series IV vs 901 series I

jozeppy26

*Please only Bose fans or non-haters comment*

The wife and I are building a vintage stereo setup. We currently have a Perfect condition Pioneer SX-3900 and a technics SL-QL1 linear tracking turntable. Right now we are looking for cabinet or floor speakers to go with this setup.

In my area i can purchase either a Bose 901 series I without stands and without the equalizer or a Bose 501 series IV (for about $100 less). Both cabinets are in perfect condition, and assuming foam surrounds are all right on each, which should I go with? I've heard horror stories about the 901 and speaker placement whereas the 501's go flush against a wall right? Also these 901's don't have an equalizer and I'm not sure if my pioneer sx-3900 fills this void or not.

TLDR: should I get the $100 cheaper Bose 501 series IV speakers over the Bose 901 series I speakers that don't have the Bose equalizer or stands?

Last edited:
I have 501 series IV's in the garage. They typically go for much more then ANY 901s (in nice shape of course) so if you can find them cheaper then 901s I would say jump on them. I rocked the hell out of mine but now all the woofer surrounds have to be redone. To my ears, they sound way better then 901s

Only thing I'd caution about the 501's is the condition of the surrounds and it's a bugger to check them due to the grills not coming off easily. The 901's cannot be used without an eq.

I have Bose 205, 301/I, 501/II, 601/I, 901/II, 901/III.

I would like to recommend to start your Bose experiences with the 501. Mine sound nicely after I replaced the defective woofers by new high quality ones. Perhaps one day you will purchase a pair of 901.

Last edited:
I think the 501II I have sound better 6 to 8" off the ground slightly tilted back, too.

A retailer I was with for 17 years was a Bose dealer. They actually were and weren't Bose dealers six times during that period depending on who the Home Audio buyer was. In any case, I thought the 501's were the best sounding model of the bunch. Don't know how often the model evolved (series I, II, III) if that's what Bose did, but my opinion was based on what I heard in the early 1980's. If I remember right, the enclosure contained a light bulb for tweeter protection.

All of the Bose direct reflecting speakers need empty space around them to sound properly. The 501 has tweeters that face the rear at an angle to reflect sound off the wall between the 2 channels. The 501 comes in left and right pairs, and they are labeled as such. Make sure your getting a proper set.

As a side note, I just finished refoaming a set of 901's. I like to refer to it as refoaming purgatory.
:whip:

I would like to recommend to start your Bose experiences with the 501. Mine sound nicely after I replaced the defective woofers by new high quality ones. Perhaps one day you will purchase a pair of 901.

What's your fav.?

What did you get for woofers?

How about the tweets?

I used upholstery tacks to reattach the grills.

Go with the 901's. EQ's are available at auction. Just had my EQ rebuilt and sound is amazing.
While I have mine on stands right now, I have also had them suspended with great results.

I had a set of 501 Series 3 a while ago and thought they sounded pretty nice. Even with not perfect placement they imaged pretty well and were great for rock type music.

aaaa.jpg
What did you get for woofers?

How about the tweets?

I used upholstery tacks to reattach the grills.

The tweets have been fine.

I reattached the grills with Hook&Loop tape.

I got these woofers from the German seller "Klang-Stark Hifi" about eight years ago. They were not expensive (I think some 90 Euros both) and they sound very nice. Okay, we are not talking about high end speakers here - nice speakers anyway...

I am sorry - thread strarter. I just noticed that you are talking about the 501 IV. How could I oversee this? My bad. I can't tell you something about the 501 IV.

But the 901/I are pretty similar to my 901/II. So I highly recommend them! And hey - the 901/I is the only series with an on/off switch on the eq! (As already mentioned above by somebody: they are not difficult to get and not very expensive.) And just one more thing: Only the first two series got cloth surroundings! They will never rot!

Last edited:
When one hears a 901 setup that has been done right and with a fairly powerful amp, it is an AMAZING experience, period. I have a buddy with the Series 1 in a dedicated listening room that he has spent years on and when he cranks it up, it is like being inside the music. I have also heard some 901s that sounded like crap because of poor placement. If you have the time to set them up right, I would go with them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I ended up purchasing a pair of 501’s for $50, however the seller was incorrect and they are actually series I (something I realized when I saw they were 4 ohm speakers). They are cosmetically perfect. I have replaced the foam surrounds on each woofer and I am truly impressed by how wide the sound is (aka it completely fills a room). The wife wishes I would have went with the 901’s but the price difference between the two made this an easier choice for me. Also hearing what you all had to say about speaker placement was much appreciated information. I was a bit afraid people on here would destroy me for considering bose and I am super glad to hear otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom