bose cd-3000 fuse blown by power surge

backwater52

Yah I'm an old guy and first post! I didn't think i would miss this thing but nothing seems to replace it for reception and fit my kitchen. It also was great to take on extended work trips where I'm stuck in a motel room for months. Anyway i took the bottom panel off and can see 2 glass fuses in caps that i don't believe are soldered. Not sure if i can pry them apart, replace then squeeze the caps. No one around here will touch it (Dubuque Iowa). any help appreciated. Otherwise i have a sansui 5xx amp thats my main unit in my shop and an old nakamichi one in the bedroom. thanks again.

Hey Backwater, you can't be that old!!!
I looked but can't find a service manual on line.
It may help if you can take a few digital pictures of the fuses, and maybe someone can help you with some suggestions.

Do the fuses look blackened or clear? Blackened fuses will indicate a short in the receiver / amplifier in question if a power surge damaged it.

If the fuses are clear, it's possible the unit is ok and the fuses just need to be replaced.

I hope for the latter! :beerchug:

I'm haven't looked at it for about a month but they were clear. I could tell one was bad but the other was hard to tell. I don't know much about electric circuits, will a meter work here or just feed around. If i can replace both i'd be as far as i feel comfortable and might get lucky. Anyway I'm 1 armed for a while due to shoulder surgery, thanks.

I tried a 12 volt adapter on the DC side and it powered up! Unplugged since it is not the original adapter which i don't have and Leary of causing more problems till i know its OK to do so . apparently the fuse's are good unless they were only for the AC side. Bad AC transformer? I'm still looking for a schematic.

Everything should be ok. Put some new fuses in it. It should be fine. It's when the fuses look blackened which indicates current draw that there is a short. In this case, a new fuse would just blow again and look blackened.

Back
Top Bottom