Bose series 1

You may be able to buy the equalizer directly from Bose. A few years ago,
Bose was selling the equalizer for $180.

That's interesting! I passed on a ebay deal that sold for $80. Only reason I passed is that I haven't purchased speakers yet :dunno:

You may be able to buy the equalizer directly from Bose. A few years ago,
Bose was selling the equalizer for $180.[/QUOTE

Doubt they have Gen I/II equalizers. Regardless, it is easy to find them on Ebay. If they need new caps, it's an easy job.

Out of curiosity, what other audio components are in your vintage room to power these speakers? Visually, are you going for a 60's or 70's look? As mentioned before the later 901's (series III are late 70's) are quite a bit more efficient.

BTW, Bose was in the receiver business for a while. A pretty cool vintage combo is a Bose Spatial Control Receiver paired up with a set of gen III or IV 901's. The spatial receiver has the 901 specific equalizer built in. Very cool looking combo in my opinion if you like the 70's vibe. There were a few versions, but here is a pic of one.

bose-551-spatial-control.jpg

18891.jpg

Out of curiosity, what other audio components are in your vintage room to power these speakers? Visually, are you going for a 60's or 70's look? As mentioned before the later 901's (series III are late 70's) are quite a bit more efficient.

BTW, Bose was in the receiver business for a while. A pretty cool vintage combo is a Bose Spatial Control Receiver paired up with a set of gen III or IV 901's. The spatial receiver has the 901 specific equalizer built in. Very cool looking combo in my opinion if you like the 70's vibe. There were a few versions, but here is a pic of one.

18891.jpg

That is a sweet looking receiver!!! Would look great in my room for sure. Most of my vintage equipment is 70's. I have 12 receivers, Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, HK, and Technics. Also have a Hafler DH 500 w/pre amp from the 80's. Also have various turn tables and other gear. Not yet decided on what speakers will make the room, wish I had room for my LaScala's but they will stay in my shop, wife won't allow them in the house, lol.

Well, they don't look "perfect" or "mint" to me...that said, I own a pair of Series II that I have had since the 70's (new), so I am not a hater. Better take a look at them in hand before pulling the trigger, as the cosmetics are important to you...

Looking at them again, wonder if it's original grill cloth...cannot remember the originals myself, but mine is a nubby cotton-like cloth, but opaque...that stuff almost looks like what Fender guitar amps used (but white). Can some one else chime in with better info?
It might be vintage cloth, but not original Bose. You can see thru it too much, and can see the unstained wood behind.

They don't work without the EQ and please get a powerful amp, any of my under 100w amps could not handle them.
If done properly they move some serious air.

I sent a EQ to Bose and they rebuit it for around $50 (I think) it has been a few years ago. That came with a 1 hear warranty.

The Bose receiver pictured adds another feature when paired with 901 III or IV; Spatial Control!

The 901's of this vintage have three terminals on the bottom, not two, and by hooking it all up together, the Spatial Control slider would let you send more signal to the "outer" or "inner" pair of rear-reflecting speakers, broadening or narrowing the image based on your tastes and program material.

Plus, it looks SO cool!

18891.jpg

About year and a half, maybe two...one side of my Series II EQ failed...called Bose, they would flat-rate repair it for $65.00, or give me a
(generous) trade in on my old 901's to a newer series. I had the EQ fixed, mainly on sentimental value, but found the (USA-based at the time)
customer service people just wonderful.

I love what I'm hearing. I haven't pulled the trigger on the 901's yet, just still looking at other options.

Bose 901's are very room-specific; they need to be placed away from the back walls (and _have_ back walls), with lots of open space behind. If they're not placed right, they will be disappointing.

Broken EQ's are usually easy to fix, as they're almost always due to either dirty switch contacts or dried out capacitors; there are only about 10 of them, and it's a single circuit board. If you can desolder and solder, it's an easy evening's work.

Bose 901's are very room-specific; they need to be placed away from the back walls (and _have_ back walls), with lots of open space behind. If they're not placed right, they will be disappointing.

Broken EQ's are usually easy to fix, as they're almost always due to either dirty switch contacts or dried out capacitors; there are only about 10 of them, and it's a single circuit board. If you can desolder and solder, it's an easy evening's work.

Yep, understand. I really wanted them to fill a spot in my new audio room, mainly for their vintage looks. Sound/placement would be something I'd like to play with one day.

Back
Top Bottom