Boston Acoustics A100 speakers

justrideit

Busy, busy, busy
They are the series III. These are in mint condition with the original boxes. As a matter of fact the surrounds rotted and the owner bought two new woofers from BA's website in 2000.

Value?

It is a two way system, how good can they sound? I know it's a subjective question, but humor me.

Last edited:
$100, maybe a little higher if truly minty. With the A series the model number is a pretty good starting point for price.

As far as sound, I really enjoy Boston Acoustics. I have spent quite a bit of time with both A150 (three-way) and A60 (two-way) and they have outlasted "better" speakers in my apartment because they are easy to place and easy to listen to.

I have a pair of original A-100's bought new in the early 80's that I will never part with.

Does the owner still have the drivers needing surrounds? Agreed a hundred would be a fair price for a nice set if they are wood veneer.

Barney

top end of $100 max if you're a lucky seller at the right place and time. Realistically closer to $70 The only real venue to sell them is craigslist possibly ebay with local pickup only. They're a nice speaker but certainly not worth the added shipping expense on an eBay. Big speakers tend to languish so unless the owner is going to hold out a long time for that $100 or so I'd offer $60 and go from there. I found them to be a better sounding speaker than the A-150 which is also in the same price range + $20

top end of $100 max if you're a lucky seller at the right place and time. Realistically closer to $70 The only real venue to sell them is craigslist possibly ebay with local pickup only. They're a nice speaker but certainly not worth the added shipping expense on an eBay. Big speakers tend to languish so unless the owner is going to hold out a long time for that $100 or so I'd offer $60 and go from there. I found them to be a better sounding speaker than the A-150 which is also in the same price range + $20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pai...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2eb8a5a1d0

Crazy.:yes:
..R1

I've A/B'd a pair of 100s with the A150s that a friend owned back in the day. I found the 150s did a far better job with classical; for rock, there was really little difference. Both were a fine speaker. Mint examples of nearly anything vintage are hard to come by. With original packaging and replacement woofers, $100 for the pair would be a bargain- the woofers cost near that alone. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I love BAs. I've got A60s, A70, A100s and recently picked up some A150s. I'd say the OP should offer $80 for the A100s he's looking at but if that doesn't do it, I think it's worth paying $100, no problem.

For the record, I paid $95 for my A100s and $80 for my A150s, both with wood veneer, on Craigslist, so prices tend to vary. Why quibble over $20 bucks, though? Veneer is nice, but not essential and has no bearing on the sound.

Series III? Are your woofers polys or paper? I have a pair I got for about 60 (vinyl clad). Put them in the basement as L/Rs in my second HT but also use them for the occasional two channel listen. A very balanced speaker.

I agree with the above assessments as to their sound and strengths. A friend has the A200s--even better!

cnh2

Woofers are poly. speakers made in 91. He replaced woofers in 2000. He bought them from BA when they were still in business. He said it was an exact replacement. Unfortunately, he didn't have the old woofers.

He replaced them because the surrounds deteriorated.

I picked them up yesterday.

I haven't met a BA speaker I haven't liked. So far I have HD7, HD8, A60, A150, A400. Hmmm...maybe I have too many!

How are you liking them? I've found the BA sound to be as described above, very easy to listen to for long periods of time, smooth and clear.

Congrats on the score!

I have a pair of A 150s they dont look like much but man they have a great sound better than my Klipsch KG4s that are now for sale...

I just got a pair of A150's last weekend and I love them ! Yea real smooth and detailed . Mine look like crap too (no grills) but I dont care , they sound great . Got them on CL for 75$ . Good for you on yours , you're going to like them .

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................. very interesting

I may have scored. Just picked up a set of Boston A100's today in excellent condition. The woofers were replaced recently and I am in the process of hooking them up. I already have a pair of Boston A60's that sound incredible IMO

they're pretty easy on the eyes methinks

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................. very interesting

I may have scored. Just picked up a set of Boston A100's today in excellent condition. The woofers were replaced recently and I am in the process of hooking them up. I already have a pair of Boston A60's that sound incredible IMO

they're pretty easy on the eyes methinks

Did they replace the woofers with BA drivers?

I saw a decent pair of A100's at a yard sale this morning. They were asking 80. I passed as I really don't need them. What a concept.:D

I friend has A150's that have been modded and they sound excellent.

They are the series III. These are in mint condition with the original boxes. As a matter of fact the surrounds rotted and the owner bought two new woofers from BA's website in 2000.

Value?

It is a two way system, how good can they sound? I know it's a subjective question, but humor me.
If you are comparing them to modern speakers you would be looking at something in the neighbourhood of $500-$700 to get something that sounds as good. Terrific speakers.

Back
Top Bottom