Boston Butt!!!

mr clean

is on the smoker. After hitting 257 I adjusted the vent twice in five and a half hours. last 3 hrs running 250 to 257. It helps I have a wall around it. 69 degrees here in southern indiana. Off work till wed so just having a good ol hillbilly time.

is on the smoker. After hitting 257 I adjusted the vent twice in five and a half hours. last 3 hrs running 250 to 257. It helps I have a wall around it. 69 degrees here in southern indiana. Off work till wed so just having a good ol hillbilly time.

Hi, Mr Clean. What are using to cook the butt? Please, post pictures. either here, or the "Show us you dinner" thread.

-Dave

Using a weber smokey mountain in a cinder block pit with three and half sides on top a washtub turned upside down:beerchug:I have it covered and concrete floor Power also. If that aint country. I had some damage last fall and getting a new roof in the spring over the pit but it still works ok.. Use a maverick wireless temp proble also. I can be smoking in 40 mph wind! They work so well if you keep the wind off but thats most smokers. I always use hickory on pork but was out and so I'm using apple. Not many things I'm great at but I run a mean smoker! Using something like bbq pits boys pork rub recipe which is very good. Easy to make. I like blues hawg or sweet baby rays bbq sauces if not making some. Should take 13 hours or so but gets pulled at about 200 to 205. That is most likely more info than you wanted! Last thing it was up to 69 here today!!! Peace.

Last edited:
Not too much info at all. As I've said in other posts, I'm Yankee of French-Canadian descent so have no BBQ culture. I've been developing my own so I'm always interested in other people's techniques. Cheers to you!

:beerchug:

-Dave

Got done in 12 and a half hours. Just got it pulled. Mine with rub hers without sprinkled in the pulled. Turned out great 203 temp and the bone pulled clean. Stuck like butter. Apple smoke tastes very good. I still love hickory but nice change. Nice smoke ring. I wish I was better at posting pics. I didn't even take any. Bark was so good. Going to pig out tomorrow. But I had to try it. I have abunch of peach wood that should be seasoned in about two more months. I have never used peach. Use apple on turkey and chicken most of the time.

Last edited:
Congrats on your cook, it's going to be a few months until I'll be cooking outdoors. I like apple and peach wood. They give a more subtle smoke flavor. than hickory.

-Dave

Congrats on your cook, it's going to be a few months until I'll be cooking outdoors. I like apple and peach wood. They give a more subtle smoke flavor. than hickory.

-Dave

I love hickory on beef and pork. But you can use too much. Just like other spices. I use 3 cue ball size pieces for ribs and 4 for butts and brisket in the WSM. I mix cherry with hickory on ribs sometimes and it gives them a nice smokey red color.

Last edited:

-Dave
We're getting covered in snow again so it will be a few more months before the smoker comes out over here too.

mr clean, one request if I may. That includes other posters as well. Please include smoker or smoked in your future titles when it applies.
I noticed it's one topic many here, including me, have questions about. It will make it easier for folks to search for answers in this forum.
...and, if you could post pictures of your smoker. Always interesting to see how folks do it country style:thumbsup:

I have used pecan and like it. Hickory light. Only wood I've tried a few times and I'm just not a fan of is mesquite. Sorry Texas! I could get by on hickory and apple. We use a lot of times what others in your area and whats around as far as wood goes. Hickory is great but some overdue it. I lke old school smoking. I don't spritz,baste, inject, etc on butts. It has enough fat to baste its self. I put rub on a few hours before putting it on put the butt in the smoker for about 8 hrs and checked it and then checked at 11 hours for temp. Checked again at 12 and a half hours and it was 203. Done! To above post I don't have much luck posting pics . I have some good ones.

I Have a friend that dropped a pecan tree. I need to get out there. I think were going camping out by there the next few days. Might stop by!

Last edited:
Hey
Yeah, I have to agree on the mesquite. Too strong for me although I had a neighbor from Tx. Cook a brisket once using mesquite. It was one of the best I ever ate. I guess everything in moderation. Which is my theory on bbq. Smoke should be a flavor not THE flavor . Just my. 02. Eric

I have actually seen people get sick eating mesquite. Never bothered me. Just don't care much for the flavor. I also agree with the above. When I'm smoking pork, I load my wood pan up once. The wood will last a couple hours and that's all it needs. You have some folks that keep adding wood when the other turns to ashes.
Now I have cooked many times on hickory and oak coals being made in a drum and shoveled into a cooker. But when you shovel in the coals most of the smoking is done. Now you are getting almost pure heat off of the coal and very little smoke. So after 12 plus hours of this, the smoke is not over powering. But you have some damn fine BBQ.

Last edited:
I Have a friend that dropped a pecan tree. I need to get out there. I think were going camping out by there the next few days. Might stop by!

Pecan is my favorite smoke wood. On hamburgers it imparts a flavor to die for. On the Boston Butt the results are incredible. 12 hour smoke is needed for that cut.

Personally use hickory/mesquite on beef or rib meat. Apple for pork anything else, pecan or cherry on chicken. But this is all personal preference. Large cut that require long low-n-slow usually oak, pecan, or mix of both and another fruit wood.

Hey
Pecan? Little milder than hickory. Eric
I like plum. It works with fowl, pig and cow. Those red-leafed ornamental l plum trees are great. They usually die in 15 years so it's not hard to find a dead one and make a deal to remove it. The wood cracks a lot as it dries but then it's good for at least a decade.

I came in here to see some butts, and what in the world is going on - no pictures? This is absurd!

Did someone remove the mooning emoji? I tried to post it here, but I think it's gone now.

Just to let you know. I have a butt and a shoulder in the fridge now, thawing to be cooked this weekend. Pictures Sunday.

Sorry for my rant.....you know I was joking....?
Jim, I've seen those before, and yet still makes my mouth water-giving me urges to head out for a bbq joint.

Back
Top Bottom