1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Botrytis' Pics for AK Fest 2005!!!

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2005' started by botrytis, Apr 10, 2005.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

OHM I's

'nuff Said!!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

Krimney, Reel to reel, and Mrs. Reel to reel.

3. botrytis

The Jim part of Jimbecky.

4. botrytis

Retrostereo!!!!

5. botrytis

Well, that is all of my pics. I am sure others will post more!!

Dave

6. Sandy G

Sandy G Spiteful Old Cuss Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Who's wife izzit that calls us "The Dead Pecker Club"?...I hope SHE was there...Maybe she got to find out differently...-Sandy G.

7. dnewma04

dnewma04 The Healer Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

I heard they help the presence of the woofers.

8. botrytis

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Those speakers really didn't need any help!!! Believe me!!!

Dave

9. Cleve

Cleve Proud to be a new resident of beautiful Michigan!

Hartsfields? Wow, I would have loved to have listened to those at length. I've heard they do everything the Klipschorn does, except better. At 250 lbs, a bigger, more robust and rigid cabinet (90 lbs heavier per speaker - the equivalent weight of a fairly large floorstanding speaker!!!) and the highest quality drivers/crossovers available. The K-horn on steroids!!!

10. botrytis

I really think they were strangled by the room!! The rooms were basic hotel room with anything that wasn't attached removed form the rooms.

The Tannoys - In the Dingus Boy/Tubino room and in one room of NOS Valves (on Sunday only) really shined in those small rooms. But, I bet they would have been amazing in a bigger room too!!!

Dave

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  11. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Super Member

Dingus-Boy listens to Ten Years After.

Doc

12. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

Agreed and agreed!

Pete

13. Pioneer727

Pioneer727 SEMPER FI

Great Pic's Dave . You all look like you had a ball I wish I could have gone O well maby next year.

Ron

14. tubino

tubino A guy with too many tubes Subscriber

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think John's version weighs 350 lbs each, with all TAD drivers. His is really a new speaker based on the old design, not just an old one that's cleaned up.

John has a propensity to put on bass-heavy stuff and turn it up to frightening SPL's. Very impressive in its own way, but it's a darn shame too, and here's why. On Saturday after 5 PM, he was persuaded to put on some fairly simple acoustic music with voice, at perfectly reasonable volumes, and it was a tremendous experience. I think a lot more people would have been pulled in to hear how effortless the dynamics are on ordinary familiar music, at normal levels. And for speakers this size, the imaging is better than it has any right to be.

He put on an LP of Buddy Holly (from master tapes, ca. 1956) that would make you cry. Unbelievably real. If he pulled people into the room with THAT, and saved the giant low-freq. SPLs till someone ASKED for it, IMO he'd give music-lovers a lot more reasons to look seriously at his speakers. FWIW, I'm sharing this with John.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  15. MikE

MikE Color Me Gone

What a "Mootly Crew"!

Just kidding. :D Didn't see any pics of BrianB. Was he there? MikE

16. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

I gotta agree with Tubino on this. I popped in a few times, but each time the sound almost pushed you out the door.

Late Sunday afternoon, I wandered in and John was playing WardsWeb's brand new audiophile copy of "The Allman Brothers Band, Live at the Fillmore" at a much more reasonable volume. "Stormy Monday" was up, and I was captivated. I sat down in the "2nd Best Seat" for what was my audio epiphany of the fest. Basically, it was like being stage level center at the Fillmore that night. Clean, clear, and crisp; I was blown away. Stunning imagery, soundstage, depth, you name it; I don't think I've EVER heard any system sound so astounding.

Thank you to both John and Luther for that magic moment, and to AK for bringing it all together; I'll probably be telling my grandkids about it someday :thmbsp:

17. yungin's-dad

yungin's-dad Last of the Baby Boomers

Bo,

Thanks for all your work putting these pic's up. I really wish I could've gone. It sure is nice putting some faces with the handles. I gotta go next year, and if he's still with the living, maybe I'll bring the yungin'. You guys tell him he needs to get better grades.... LOL!! He is improving though. Maybe a trip to AK Fest will get him over the hump.

Thanks again,

Ron

18. Cleve

Cleve Proud to be a new resident of beautiful Michigan!

LOL - It wouldn't have discouraged me - quite the contrary - John sounds like a man after my own heart... I woulda ran, not walked, to the room issuing the seismic level vibrations. :banana:

I DO feel sorry, however, for the poor bastids with rooms UNDERNEATH these demo rooms! :yes:

19. botrytis

That was the floor with the rooms where the AK folks were staying!!!

Dave

20. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

And it was GREAT!

Pete