1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Bot's system

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by botrytis, Feb 17, 2011.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

yup!

2. botrytis

New update! New amp to me - Pioneer M-22 (from Galaxie65 - who described the amp perfectly). Connected to a set of DIY speakers (using PE 0.75 cu. ft. cabinets, HiVi D6.8 midbass and S1 II tweeter with 2nd order crossover at 3K - the speaker wire is Naim NACA-5 - probably the stiffes wire I have used) and PE 24" speaker stands. The amp is connected to a Audio Research SP-16 Preamp using a Blue Jean Cable interconnect (25 feet). The vinyl and Universal player have not changed (connected using DiMarzio interconnects) and using SMSL M8 DAC and a Windows 10 computer using JRiver 22.

DSC03511.JPG DSC03519.JPG DSC03520.JPG DSC03510.JPG DSC03512.JPG

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    guiller and freQ(*)Oddio like this.
  3. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

4. botrytis

Well, I do have a heating system for winter now :D

The sound is so much bigger now and the midrange is just wow. Who knew only 30 watts could have so much control.

5. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

How long is the run from the preamp to the amp? I'm going to be doing a similiar setup in about six months to a year's time.

Want the system out of the way with my monoblock amps near the speakers.

6. botrytis

25 feet and it could have been a little longer. No issues with noise and Blue Jean Cable was fast at shipping and the cable looks great too. Highly recommend them.

The other interconnects I got for a song and a dance (the DiMarzios). That company makes professional cables so I think they know how to make them.

7. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

DiMarzio makes IC's?? I know them for making guitar pickups that kick ass

8. botrytis

They are not that expensive either. I am using the High Def model.

Nice locking RCA ends also.

9. botrytis

10. botrytis

I am really happy with the way the system sounds now. I can just listen for hours..........

11. Wildcat

Wildcat ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Subscriber

I know the feeling. I was already throwing heat with my Nak PA-7 (the Nelson Pass "Stasis" design) and just swapped in a Conrad-Johnson Premier 11 a few weeks ago. On top of it, just re-tubed it with a set of KT-120s, which are even larger than the 6550s. The neighborhood kids haven't stopped in to roast marshmallows over it yet, but it really does throw off some heat. And I have the warmest room in the house already. Summer's gonna be rough on the AC. :D

The system's lookin' good, Dave!

12. botrytis

Mine is in the basement :D it is a nice 65F right now.

13. Wildcat

That's a good place for a space heater. :D

I gave up my basement-dwelling ways when my ex moved out in 2003. ;) Currently my setup is in a family room, on the south side of the house. Kinda roasty in the summer!

14. botrytis

Well our HT is upstairs :D If things work out I have a bomb shelter (read room under our garage) that I will convert to a listening room/HT. We shall see :D

My basement is a walk out on the back end, so not really a true basement.

15. Wildcat

16. botrytis

For 1650.00 a pair, I can get way more interesting speakers. Those are Mark Audio drivers so Mark Audio does have some finished speakers that are way more interesting. They were at AXPONA also. :)

Wildcat likes this.
  17. botrytis

The midwoofers, HiVi D6.8 driver, also have Neodymium magnet structure so this little driver is pretty impressive.

Ds2000 likes this.
  18. botrytis

The midrange congestion I had has disappeared and the system just sounds natural. The bass is very tight and powerful for a 6" driver.

19. botrytis

I tried my Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's with this setup - rolled off highs, bad bass, nothing good. Basic opinion......

[​IMG]

Now the Rogers LS2's? WOW - they sound amazing. :hug::hug::hug:

20. botrytis

The Linn Tukans sound balanced, dynamic, and well so unboxy. It is like a new speaker. Now I need to go through the rest of my little speakers :D

cratz2 likes this.