Bot's system

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by botrytis, Feb 17, 2011.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, I have KEF Q15's and Q300's - both were nice but missing something before. Now the Q300's are just WOW. there is more midrange and the sound is more balanced.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    cratz2 likes this.
  2. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I didn't have a pressing need for them so I didn't keep them but a pair of Linn Tukans were among the best speakers I've ever owned from about 200 Hz up.

I ended up getting a pair of CDM1s for that small system and a pair of Linn Keilidhs for the bigger system. Both the B&Ws and the bigger Linns did many things well but there was something magical about those Tukans... maybe the room, maybe the exact setup. Hell, maybe my mood for the two weeks I had them but I wasn't much of a sub guy at the time and I wasn't willing to live without the bottom end.

Ever since then (many years ago) I always though if I ever had to live in an apartment where bass was an issue, I'd grab a pair of Tukans,

3. botrytis

In my Room with the Pre/Amp setup, these speakers (Linn Tukans) are so dynamic. I was amazed. Class A really made those speakers shine. Also they weigh a lot for little speakers - 25 lbs for the pair.

4. botrytis

I tried my Single driver speakers, Zigmahornets and Tang Band D4-1's. The former actually sounded OK but a little shrill. The Tang Bands sounded like the Sonus Fabers. I was totally surprised. It could be the tubes. I will need to get some more tubes to try. Slippery slope time.

I still have a few more speakers to try.

5. botrytis

I need to break out the Wheaties to try the Monitor Audio MA3 series 2's :D I will do that this weekend.

Right now just enjoying the sound.

6. botrytis

Currently using JRiver 22 but have the license for the upgrade to 23 and will get that when it comes out. I am using EOS currently on my Android pad to control. I actually like this app. It is nice and slick.

7. botrytis

Still just chillin' with music. I never thought I could get this close to my perfect system.

Ds2000 likes this.
  8. botrytis

I noticed the power cord is a little stiff and a little thin. I was thinking of replacing it. Anyone do that on a Pioneer M-22?

9. botrytis

Well, some new on sale speakers. Breaking them in right now (Not sure I believe in it but what the heck). They are ELAC Uni Fi UB5's, literally now 15 minutes on them :D That new. They do sound a little boxy but they are still new. An interesting new speaker to play with.

upload_2017-11-22_13-6-48.png

upload_2017-11-22_13-7-10.png

10. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

Those were nice when I heard them at the audio show--surprising bass for that cabinet size. Especially when Andrew Jones played that track by Deadmau5 and dusted off (or maybe I should say "leaf-blowered" :D ) the curtains behind the speakers. If I have a future use for smaller speakers, these are definitely on my short list. At $350/pair they are a steal, IMHO.

Once those suspensions get broken in, I imagine they'll sound mighty good. :thumbsup: And yes, I have found speaker break-in is a "thing." Most recently, I put a Focal subwoofer in the car back in September and was not duly impressed until I had gotten a few dozen hours on it--the bass reached lower and cleaner once I had run it for a while.

darkblue94 likes this.
  11. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

Love your acoustic treatments. Gives me an idea!

12. botrytis

Hey they were cheap and DIY :D

I put the speakers on taller stands (28: from 24") that are loaded with 20 lbs of sand in each stand. The speaks sound better - I also moved them closer to the corners. sounds better.

upload_2017-11-22_14-17-9.png

JRhoBurton likes this.
  13. Wildcat

Cheap, but Mrs. Bot wants her sofa pillows back any day now. :D

Ds2000 likes this.
  14. botrytis

The Corner treatments were HER idea :D She actually sewed the covers for the cheap body pillows - what a gal :bigok::bigok::bigok::beerchug:

rogerfederer and Wildcat like this.
  15. Wildcat

Does she approve of the blue pinstriping on the floor? :D

I haven't been to Casa Bot yet--is that your primary listening space, or just one out of a few? My primary space (beside the car) is also the family room, with the TV and my game systems, and I have some major refurnishing to do before I can start considering room treatments. (Anyone want a nice free pair of 45 year old Ethan Allan etageres?) I have a major bass null right at the only good listening spot in the room.

16. botrytis

That is my office/listening room. I do most of my listening there since the upstairs area mostly has the TV going for my mother in law.

Wildcat likes this.
  17. highend64

highend64 Active Member

Nice! What are the dimensions of your room?

18. botrytis

10' x 38' - a very odd size.

19. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Have you ever used one of those room acoustics programs to theroize where the speakers and listener should be in that room?

20. botrytis

I have and tried placing where the speakers were supposed to be and sounded bad, so I kept tweaking until they sounded right.

I even tried programs with a calibrated mics. It is an odd room.