Bought a boat

it is weakened by storing the outdrive always up when parked on the trailer. something to consider

I'm not doing that. Once home, it's lowered. Also not letting it bounce around while driving to the lake and back home. I'll keep an eye on all of these things. Thanks!

Last edited:
The problem with a ripped boot is that if you're not minding it, the bilge pump will eventually run the battery flat and then it sinks. Its a much bigger problem on things that live in the water that don't have a shore powered battery charger. I know I hauled a number of customer boats when I worked at the marina because I'd notice the pump running a lot, or the boat sitting funny in the water. Every day I was on the docks at some point and you look for that stuff. Its way easier to bring a jumper pack and a trailer to pull the boat with than it is bringing one off the bottom. Of course its also a problem on trailer boats that do not have working bilge pumps. I've seen more than one limping back to the ramp sitting way too low in the water.

A flashlight and your eyeballs will tell you if its bad. Make sure the bilge pump works, and if it runs a lot find out why. Boats are like anything else mechanical, they require maintenance and punish you if you don't provide it. Unfortunately its rather less convenient to break down on the water, and really inconvenient to sink.

Funny, I've been through it and I don't see any partical board. All seems to be plywood and everything except for under the dash is coated in fiberglass and pretty thickly too. It's about the same construction as my old Crestliner and that lasted 35 years in my family - only replaced the floor in that because it was left without a cover for a couple winters.

There's no rot, no soft spots - zero. I'm not an idiot when it comes to boats - like I said, I grew up around them and have owned them before. I know a bit about what to look for. It's a very dry climate out here - what gets wet doesn't stay wet long. Additionally any snow we get is very powdery - and I'm doubtful if any has ever gotten inside. Floors are less likely to deteriorate out here than gel coat getting chalky and seat vinyl dissolving.

If I would have suspected anything of what you describe, I would have walked away. I walked away from six or seven boats previously after looking at them for one thing or another - and none of them had Bayliner written on the side.

You're exactly the snob I was describing in my first post. Could be junk or might not. So far it's not. Two weekends full of tooling all over the place - and going out again this weekend. Runs great, gets up and goes and hasn't sunk. I'd call that a good boat. So you can go bash Bose. I'm going out on the lake with a cooler of beers, a tube and the family on my K-mart boat with the Sparkomatic stereo blasting (it may actually be one!). :thumbsup:
im far from a snob but thanks for projecting, if you cant joke? whats the point

the 2 best boats ive ever owned ?
1) my grand dads old chrysler boat w a 75 johnson outboard, gave it to me in 96 had it till 05.
and my fav fishing boat was my 23' aquasport 02-07. i miss both boats! hauled in many cod and bluefish through those yrs on those decks

Nice.

I've never had reason to own a boat yet and there are always about three or four couples in the fairly immediate circle that own them but I always thought eventually I'll end up on a body of water and have one.

Also, I hope that when I am 'aging' that i will still want to buy a jetski. That's awesome!

Head off the critics at the pass and name it the SS Bose ... that'll show you expect some bs, but you just don't care ... ;-}

Easy there, The Bose factory system in my C5 Corvette convertible sounds pretty good, especially with the top down. :^)
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom