Bought a new toy - Behringer Feedback Destroyer

JDaniel

I've always wanted to play around with one of these BFDs to EQ my sub. Since I'm building a dedicated HT, I thought "now's the time". I want the room to sound as good as possible. It is a cool little tool, but the directions were written for a PhD in Nuclear Physics. :scratch2:

Anybody else use one of these?

JD

No, but I ordered a DEQ 2496 which should arrive next week - we'll have to compare notes.

RichPA said:
No, but I ordered a DEQ 2496 which should arrive next week - we'll have to compare notes.

Sounds cool. Here's a useful site for the BFD. It might not help specifically with your DEQ, but it explains the use of parametric equalization in much better terms than the owner's manual.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

JD

JDaniel said:
Sounds cool. Here's a useful site for the BFD. It might not help specifically with your DEQ, but it explains the use of parametric equalization in much better terms than the owner's manual.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

JD

Thanks for the link, JD, looks like it has some really useful info.
Rich

I use a Behringer feedback destroyer in a PA rig that I have set up. It has been in use for about 5 years and works well. The thought of putting it in my HT rig has not even crossed my mind.
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the thing?
It has a handy parametric EQ built into it too.
Operating this unit has not proved too difficult.
Cheers
Tony

Tony75 said:
I use a Behringer feedback destroyer in a PA rig that I have set up. It has been in use for about 5 years and works well.

Any issues with self-noise on the +4dB setting? I have one in my band's monitor system and it works great at -10dB but if I set it on the higher setting I hear strange sounds, albeit at a low level compared to the leven when a signal is present. Not hiss, not hum, not crackle or static, ODD sounds. Like a sound effect they would use for the thought chatter of the Borg collective on Star Trek.

I haven't tried EQing with it but as a feedback suppressor it is fast and effective. Seems like it wouldn't take them much to add an RTA/noise generator/automatic room correction function. Hmmmmm, yeah. Thaaaaaaat would be greeeeeeaaaaat. Hell, they also sell a measurement mic, they could easily make it a package.

The purpose of the BFD in an HT is to EQ your sub. Basically, you sweep the room with an SPL meter and tone generator, and build a chart of your room response. I'll take measurements from say 20 hz to 100 hz. Any room will have peaks (read - loud, boomy bass) and dips. You can use the BFD to tame the peaks. Can't do much about the dips, other than move the sub, move furniture, treat the room etc. It will give you a much better bass response in the end (hopefully).

You essentially EQ or cut out very narrow (in Hz) bands (the peaks) of bass. It is similar to how I edit a .wav file after I've transferred an LP to my hard drive. If there are any pops or clicks, I can isolate just that "pop" by expanding out the wavelength. I then edit/cut out maybe one tenth or one hundreth of a second of the song containing the "pop". You'll never miss the tiny amount cut out of the song, but the pop will be gone.

JD

I've been using a BFD in my HT system for about a year now and it works great. It did take quite a while to get it set up but the in room response is flat now down to 20Hz +/- about 3-4dB instead of the 20dB or so it started out as. Easily the best $100 I spent on any part of the system.

My DEQ2496 arrived today - gotta say, the owners manual is scary! I think I better wait for the weekend to try setting it up. The BFD link helps some, but the DEQ appears to be a LOT more complicated.

Couldn't wait, so I got started on the DEQ setup - gonna have to get another cable, as it turns out. But I got the RTA function going, and that is very cool; started to learn the interface. More later.

JD, that link on the BFD is great! You're right about the explanation of parametric EQ, and the logic on my DEQ is similar enough that it helps with that too.

I've had a BFD for a month or two now. I used the parametric EQ function to tame room issues that were killing me (+/- 20db). I didn't boost any frequencies, just cut the peaks. I was able to get +/- 3-5db down to 16-18hz. Makes HT a blast and cleans up 2.1 music listening as well. Easily some of the best money spent in audio reproduction.

Back
Top Bottom